Heavy/Scratch: Dustup Gunslinger fig

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

UPDATE: Finished and painted figure can be seen in the follow up thread HERE...

I just got my latest Shapeways order through this morning, and I'm currently cleaning up the three complete figures I got, and making sure that they fit together as I designed them. The first one I've got cleaned up and fitted is Dustup. He's cleaned up nicely, and fits together well; I've got a couple of hinges I need to pad out a little, but I'm confident enough in it that with a couple of minor tweaks to the CG model, he should be up for sale in the next couple of days. I'm gonna wait till this guy's fully painted up and good for a photoshoot, though. :) 

Like Salvo, he's 56mm tall, and he has 9 main points of articulation. Here's a shot of him with Universe Nightstick for comparison:

[​IMG]

"Hey, lookit this, Nightstick... KNEES!"

[​IMG]

Mounted on his back (under the gun barrel, which I've flipped down here), he's got my experimental clip peg. It's basically a 5mm diameter peg, but also has a channel modelled into it so it can clip onto the new 3mm bars.

[​IMG]

Naturally, the peg's there to be used as a handle for anybody with a 5mm hole that fancies using him...

[​IMG]

...but the clip in the handle means that even some of the new little guys like Breacher can carry him!

[​IMG]

I'm painting him up at the moment (Inscribe Ash grey and Vallejo Oxford blue, kind of inspired by Gen. Scourge's gun), but I've also got Vantage and Doubletime to check out...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    son of a ...

Love it, this will be avail. on shapeways? I will order 40 of them if so, nicely done.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks! Yeah, he'll be available for sale; like I said hopefully within a couple of days. I need to make a couple of small tweaks to the CG model and get that uploaded, and naturally I'd like to have painted pics of him available too. :) 

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I ordered some heads through shapeways, had them made with the clear product, the surfaces were pretty smooth and clean.

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

40 FR? Really?:lol 

I don't particularly like the Targetmaster idea myself, so I won't buy 40, but it is nice to see these guys working.

I am interested in making my own robots, though, and I just wanna know, to keep it about 56mm tall, how high is each body segment, as in lower legs, thighs, arms, etc.? I've tried a few different designs, but at that scale, I sometimes hit the 1mm wall thickness (which is my personal limit, I know SW let's you go to 0.7but for safety's sake). Do you hollow your models as well (I assume so due to the cheap cost of Salvo)?

6. thedreaded1

thedreaded1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great but i'm worried that the peg will break since it has the 3mm notch built into it.

7. benclark1982

benclark1982 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Very nice. Love the incorperation of the 3mm peg system and the 5mm grips. I will most definatly be getting some of these and keep them comming.

8. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

Wow, Salvo was great, but Dustup is Fantastic! I think I might be placing my first Shapeways order soon!

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I haven't tested the Detail materials yet, but I intend to do so when I design the head for my Whiteburn custom (for Warriorpriest's CF auction).
    I may release these in those materials (if it's possible; I'm not sure whether I cross the wallthickness threshold or not), but even so, I'd recommend Detail only if you want it pretty much as a display piece. If you want to fiddle with it a lot (and I love to fiddle ;) ), I will always recommend WSF. The surface texture may be a little rougher (easily fixed when it's painted and sealed anyway), but it's also cheaper, tougher, and more flexible (not in the sense of being rubbery, so much as it has more 'give' when pressure is applied). I've heard one or two stories of balljoint tests that snapped in Detail.

I hollow them as much as is sensible, yeah. It's not practical to properly hollow them, but I do tend to remove chunks of material from any surface that would be hidden most of the time (inner arms and legs, back, that sort of thing).
    As for proportions, what I'll do is next time I open up my Backlash model, I'll knock up a screengrab with some dimensions and throw it in the Gunslinger update thread in GD. Offhand, I recall the heads are based on a 6mm cube with a 1mm neck, and the lower legs are 20mm long, but I can't remember the rest. :p 

Well, I've been playing with mine a fair bit, snapped it on and off a few of the 3mm bars, and even given it the odd squeeze to test how tough it is, and it's still kicking. The clip walls are 1mm thick at their thinnest, which on a small 5mm diameter cylinder, in WSF (White Strong Flexible), turns out to be just fine. I can squeeze it, and it flexes just a little, and springs right back. It certainly seems to me you'd have to try to break it. Hope that helps. :) 

10. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Wow, this guy looks amazing man, love the handle/clip system you're making for him. His articulation is amazing for the scale. Can't wait to see him painted up.

11. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

man this is sweet..might have to jump on this once i see the final product...:thumbs2: 

12. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ramrider you are making my dreams a reality cant wait to see vantage deifnateley gonna be ordering him and all the homage targetmasters keep up the amazing work the 3mm clip handle is a stroke of genius i absoloutley love it

Seeing him next to nightstick however makes me want a new nightstick the odl one could always go to ricochet if wee get one :D 

13. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Egad! That's awesome generally, but the clip/peg combo is GENIUS!!

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, all! :D 

I actually really like this scale, because it fits in well with everything from G1 Micromasters right up to Armada and PCC Minicons, but is just big enough for me to be able to fit in loads of articulation and still keep it nice and durable. Any smaller, I'd either have to leave a lot of articulation out, or increase the risk of snapping ball shafts. :p 

Funny you should mention that. How does "Truncheon" sound..? :sly: 

Thanks. I wasn't sure it'd work (hence the whole "experimental" bit), but I'm actually really happy with how sturdy it seems to have come out. Backlash will be getting one of these as well, for sure.

15. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Holy sweet mother of Jebus! Best Targetmaster ever! It's been said before, but can't be said enough IMO, the 5mm peg/3mm clip combo is sheer unadulterated genius! I can see myself spending a fortune at your Shapeways store in the near future if you keep them coming like this :D 

16. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    Buddy that is freaking sweet!!!! So your custom for the auction....will it have a TM?? LOL!!!

17. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

So 2 Salvos, 2 Dustups... And as soon as he's done, 2 opf Vantage... Man, that'll be a sweet order.

And as with everyone else, that peg/clip setup is amazing.

18. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    fuck!! that's brilliant... anybody in Netherlands wanna team up with me??

19. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hilarious i think thats just cos i m british and dirty minded lol :D  i think baton would be a better name lol but its all up to you lol Truncheon

20. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

looks fantastic. I've been waiting for this until I place my shapeways order. Now if you can get vantage and fusilage up too that would be awesome. :)