Dust: Is there a quicker cleaner-upper?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by AutoCon2076, Nov 1, 2011.

1. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Heyah. When it comes to dust, I can't stand the stuff. Aside from being allergic, it makes black shelves look like crap and mattes the gloss on most anything it covers. When it comes to figures like Liokaiser and Black Zarak I use a damp soft-bristle toothbrush and plenty of lint-free paper towels. This method can get tedious when one decides to 'clean' 70+ CHUG figures. My Classics Devastator needs a dusting, but I was curious as to a new method...

Think there'd be any negative repercussions if I were to shake him underneath of some lukewarm water and then use an air gun or hairdrier on low to dry em off? Swooshing him around under the water ought to get the dust out of those hard-to-reach places; the hairdrier should be ample to dry him off before any of the metal would start to oxidize.

Has anyone used this method before? Does it work?

~Z

2. BenjaminXavier

BenjaminXavier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I keep most of my stuff inside glass cases so that helps, then the stuff that's out I spray with canned air once a week and that seems to work.

3. AutoCon2076

For prevention, yeah, that'd work. However a few of these guys are well past the preventative part of the dust-control. I'm in the process of moving; when the move is complete I'll be getting those glass cabinets.

~Z

4. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 PlastiqueBoutique.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    :eek:  Stickers man! Water will damage the stickers on figures like Liokaiser, and there's not a Reprolable set for him.

Seriously though, I use a medium soft bristle paint brush or sometimes a woman's blush applicator (it's a really soft bristled brush)

5. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Tooth brushes work great!

6. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I've always heard canned air is the way to go.

Playing with them also helps keep the dust off, but that's not really feasible with large collections :) 

I hope to one day upgrade to glass shelves, but not until we're in our next house. And even then, I dunno - glass shelves for well over a thousand figures is damn expensive, hah.

7. robowarrior

robowarrior Arcee's BF

News Credits:
    Currently my shelves are dusty, it's time consuming cleaning figures. I sord of hate that job of cleaning one by one. It can get fun at times but afterwards it becomes a chore and a pain.

The bright side about it is that you get to clean and handle some figures that you probably have not touched in decades. Sometimes I start to mess with them and that's when it gets time consuming..

My problem with using compressed air cans, they run out so quickly and after a while of use the freakn can gets cold and the air starts to diminish, and when you're cleaning 100+ figures, it gets tidious.. I normally use a cloth wipe just to wipe them down..

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use a blush brush thing too, along with canned air.

I just got an air purifier recently for my birthday and put it in my room. I'm curious how much it can help cut down on dust in my room.

9. AutoCon2076

Oh don't worry, guys on this shelf get the toothbrush treatment, this shelf will NEVER be dunked:

[​IMG]

I meant for the newer, sticker-less figures - namely CHUG-type figures. :) 

~Z

10. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Naw dude, heres what to use.

SWIFFER DUSTERS

just rub em down, it pulls all the dust off em like magic. if you use water to clean dust, the the dust will collect in water and make every panel line or recessed detail full of dust n shit.

use swiffer dusters, then just blow off the dust that is left. I had to clean a few of my shelves a few times, and it works the best.

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    there was another thread about all this last week I think, but yeah for me feather dusters are the way to go. they get in every nook and cranny, are cheap, and extremely fast for cleaning your figures. they have generic ones at walmart for a dollar. you can't go wrong.

12. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Tamiya has a real handy dust brush. I use it on all my figures. Also if you want to go the air way. Instead of buying a few cans just get an air compressor. Either the garage kind (big) or the hobby airbrush kind. Small and powerfull and plug and play!

iDD

13. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

I use air cans...

14. ninjadolemite

ninjadolemite Well-Known Member

I wash my figures twice a week in turps.

Also, to prevent buildup of dust on extra-special figures, i store them in a vacuum, no dust, plus i dont hafta listen to them screaming all night to get out.

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I use this make up brush:
    [​IMG]

It is softer than the other brands, I also have a set from Watson's.

Attached Files:

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I use a make-up brush too, but a fan brush.

Also, I don't just spread the dust around because that accomplishes nothing (or makes things worse as it goes back into the air you breathe). Instead I have a vacuum cleaner with me that has a hose attachment and a Boar's Hair brush attachment for the shelves themselves.

17. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I only have 16 or so(I sold most of them because of my turtle,my cat had something wrong with her...and bills and stuff....I'm just to lazy to change my collection count.:p )And because of that.....I just use my finger...I just think that I since I don't have a lot...I don't need anything awesome like canned air or a brush and stuff....so...I can't do a lot of stuff to help you.:) 

18. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was anybody else around when this came up a while back and somebodys response was he licked the dust off and everybody else flipped out?

One of my extra special board memories

19. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    That sounds odd.....But think I did somethinkg like that on New Years Day three or four years ago....darn....wine is one odd drink...;) 

20. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I used to have one of those static dusters. Worked well enough.