During previous era's question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rexidus, May 12, 2012.

1. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Something has been nagging at me. In the previous era's of Transformers, specifically Beast Wars and Unicron, did a bunch of people constantly assume that because there was a toy of a character that they would be in the show?

I wasn't around for the Unicron Trilogy but in Beast Wars there were TONS of non-show characters. Heck most of the ones I own are non-show characters. And I don't remember ever hearing something akin to "Oh, Snapper has an awesome toy! I can't wait to see him in the show! When's he going to show up?"

It just seems that every time a character is brought up recently a lot of people jump to the conclusion that his appearance in media, mostly Prime, is imminent. I want to know if this is a new trend or am I ignorant of its history?

2. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Largely a new trend. There'd be an occasional "I hope character X appears in the show!" stuff, but not like it is now.

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the Unicron Trilogy can probably be blamed for spending upwards of four years beating that mindset into people, with it's giant casts of non-characters.

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

I think it's a new trend mostly because this is the first time I've ever heard of it. Unless you're talking about Ultra Magnus appearing in Prime that's more because his toy has a hammer and we've already seen the hammer in the show.

If it's happening more it's probably because Animated didn't have much of a trend of non-show characters appearing in the toy line. The animators found a way to even include characters like Oil Slick who they originally never even intended to have in the show. That's not likely to happen with Prime.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This and Animated. Cybertron did have a couple of non-show characters toward the end though.

It may also be partly because Prime seems to so far be one of the rare cases where the toys are based on the show instead of the other way around. If all if the toys so far are based on show characters, then it's easy to assume that new toy characters are just show characters we haven't seen yet.

6. Rexidus

News Credits:
    It's far more than Ultra Magnus. It's also Hot Shot, Ironhide, Rumble, Kup.

Heck I've even seen it applied to game characters like expecting Grimlock or Jazz to appear on Prime.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I was wondering if Ultra Magnus was the commander not prepared to get his hands dirty that put Wheeljack's face plate out of joint.

Oh and I would guess the Hammer Magnus has isn't the Solus Forge it just looks like it a bit, 3 reasons ; 1) Animated Ultra Magnus' Isn't a God's Hammer, 2) Magnus probably isn't a Prime so he'd only be able to use ithe Solus Forge in an unpowered form 3) It mention's Magnus' Hammer in Exodus and not in context of it being the Solus Forge he just seems to like using a war Hammer is all.

That said I would love to see him show up especially if it's an excuse to introduce an Autobot ship and get them off planet more, and maybe some Autotroopers too.

Part of me would rather have the likes of Kup, Ironhide and Ultra Magnus than some Dinobots if only as they might do more that Grimlock might.

8. SaberPrime

I haven't even seen toys for Prime Rumble and Kup. I have seen Hot Shot and Ironhide though. There's no reason to think either of them will ever be in the show at this time though. I really hope Hot Shot doesn't appear in the show because I really don't want to see Bumblebee with a different head and an ugly color scheme animated. I really don't like that toy. It's probably the best mold Hot Shot has ever had but that color scheme reminds me of early Universe toys.

Animated Ultra Magnus' hammer was a symbol of leadership just like the Matrix is in every other continuity. Symbols of leadership have traditionally been held by Primes. Plus it's a hammer that gave him the power to summon lightning (Thor) so yes it is a God's Hammer. Also Solus Prime is not a God, she's just one of the original 13 Primes. Primus and Unicron are the only Gods in Transformers.

Ultra Magnus was one half of Omega Prime in RID. Omega Prime has a lot of gold parts which match the hammer's color in Prime so I think the Hammer will make Ultra Magnus into Omega Prime.

There's currently nothing in Prime that actually links it to other media so the writers can make the Magnus Hammer the forge of Solus Prime if they want which they did.

9. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

TFP needs more Transformers.... there's all kinds of room for any non-show character figures.

There's been what? 16 total TF characters/troopers?.... and at least two of them are definatly dead/ one might be dead/ one in stasus/one gone fishing (Wheeljack).

I know lots of characters isn't everyones cup of tea.... but for me it's a big deal. This is why I loved G1/S1.... not only did it start with 29 characters (including Reflector and Hauler).... they added 15 more by seasons end.

10. Rexidus

News Credits:
    I'd rather have a few deep 3 dimensional characters than a billion caricatures.

11. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    If it's not, it's darn close:

• It forged the Allspark and the "Matrix" containers
    • It controls planetary weather systems and shoots debilitating lightning
    • The Council Chambers in the Metroplex have stain glass windows depicting the Hammer through the ages.
    • It's the symbol of authority on Cybertron in that universe.
    • It's of unknown ancient origin. Perhaps alien.

12. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

no primus created 13 tfs
    queesion created earlt tfs in cartoon

13. SaberPrime

People don't like lots of character because they like characters to actually be well written. Some times even in a small cast that doesn't happen, just look at the movies. But in a large cast it NEVER happens.

That's actually a major flaw of G1 because they had so many characters that most of them were forgettable characters. There are several characters I've realized who I thought weren't introduced till the movie and season 3 but actually had small parts throughout the first 2 seasons. Blaster and Preceptor for example had large parts in the movie and season 3 but can you even remember them appearing in the first two seasons without looking it up to see what episodes they were in?

The other flaw is that most of the 15 new characters you're praising G1 for show up out of thin air. There's no explanation as to who they are or where they came from, they're just there. Did they crash on Earth and were in stasis on their own ship like the Insecticons, were they built on Earth like the Dinobots, did they land on Earth after the core cast and join up with them? We don't freaking know because it's never said. Ironically there are also characters like the Constructicons who are given not one but THREE origins, they could of given a couple of the origin stories to a different set of characters but no they just ignore them.

All the cartoons from RID to Cybertron started out with small casts so you got to know who everyone was but then they added characters by the truck loads just like G1 did and then suddenly you have a load of characters you can't even name without looking up a full cast list.

Movies got so bad that they have characters who either didn't even have names or had two or three different names. Thanks Micheal Bay for giving no thought what so ever to your title characters.

Animated did it too and it's really obvious Animated was doing it. They focused on a core cast occasionally showing other characters but in the end it's still the core cast members who were the most memorable with a few cool fan geek out moments from secondary cast members.

That's why Beast Era was the best, they had probably the largest cast possible that allows for every character to be developed and they even killed off characters for real in story reasons which also ensured the cast never got bigger than was possible to give screen time to them.

I wish every series would live up to the beast era formula but sadly it seems like no matter how much I like a series, like RID or Animated, it'll still never be as good. It's like Beast Era set the bar so high that no other series following it could ever do better.