Customs: Duplicating a Custom that you sold...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Squall42080, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I have been getting a few PMs about my customs here, at other boards, and on eBay, where people are asking me to make a custom that I currently own, or have already sold.

But, here's the question: If you sold a custom...and someone else asked you to re-make the same exact thing for them...would you do it?

Now I realize that none of us own the "intellectual rights" to any of the characters we customize, however, it feels wrong to me...

In my opinion, a custom should be unique. Something that no other person could own, because you have the only one. (I realize that many of us base our ideas on each other's work....one example being the movie-accurate characters)

But, to "bulk"- produce a custom feels like you are cheating yourself, or the new owner...

Thats the way I feel, but again I was curious as to what everyone would think.

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmmm...you raise a very good point Squall.....

It would be a tuffy for me. I think if someone asked me to make a copy of Plowking, I would have to turn them down because of sentimental reasons....same for Hammerlock....but if it was just a "regular" (for lack of a better word) custom that I had done, I might could be persuaded to make another for someone else....

If I made one special for someone else, the answer would be the same as it is for Plowking and Hammerlock....No.
    Its like you stated, it would be in a sense, cheating the owner out of the rarity of the piece.....

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Hmmmm...you raise a very good point Squall.....

It would be a tuffy for me. I think if someone asked me to make a copy of Plowking, I would have to turn them down because of sentimental reasons....same for Hammerlock....but if it was just a "regular" (for lack of a better word) custom that I had done, I might could be persuaded to make another for someone else....

If I made one special for someone else, the answer would be the same as it is for Plowking and Hammerlock....No.
    Its like you stated, it would be in a sense, cheating the owner out of the rarity of the piece.....

4. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I'm biased because I'm guilty of taking heavy inspiration for my own customs from others (though I've never sold them).

However, I believe this particular hobby should be about what makes people happy, not a game of rarity. I never viewed customs as a "yay, I'm the only one who has one." It's more usually "yay, I have an alternators ironhide...period."

I've made many many custom alts...and if hasbro had just made them all for me first and mass sold them, I'd be A.O.K. with that.

5. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I'm biased because I'm guilty of taking heavy inspiration for my own customs from others (though I've never sold them).

However, I believe this particular hobby should be about what makes people happy, not a game of rarity. I never viewed customs as a "yay, I'm the only one who has one." It's more usually "yay, I have an alternators ironhide...period."

I've made many many custom alts...and if hasbro had just made them all for me first and mass sold them, I'd be A.O.K. with that.

6. The Wombat King

The Wombat King Ruler of a distant land

Ebay:
    I'd say if it's a fan character then I don't think I could do it. Even if all one had done was repaint an existing figure it's still a unique character. If it's something like a G1 homage that anyone could have come up with then I wouldn't have a real issue with it. Look at how many people (including myself) made Huffer out of Armorhide and Alpha Trion out of Vector Prime only to have FunPub do it later.

7. The Wombat King

The Wombat King Ruler of a distant land

Ebay:
    I'd say if it's a fan character then I don't think I could do it. Even if all one had done was repaint an existing figure it's still a unique character. If it's something like a G1 homage that anyone could have come up with then I wouldn't have a real issue with it. Look at how many people (including myself) made Huffer out of Armorhide and Alpha Trion out of Vector Prime only to have FunPub do it later.

8. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

id have no prob giveing out copys of my fan made formers. it would make me happy knowing that pepole would want them!

9. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

id have no prob giveing out copys of my fan made formers. it would make me happy knowing that pepole would want them!

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If the money was right and I had the time and patience, I'd crank 'em out like a factory.

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    If the money was right and I had the time and patience, I'd crank 'em out like a factory.

12. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    If I could pull off the mass production of a particular figure the way Vector has, everyone who could afford it would be the proud owner. Especially if they all had Ebayer's chomping at the bit the same way those Magnusesesesessesesesses [Magni] do.

Alas, Alt Galvatron and Icanfly's Clone will be the only two I ever produce.

13. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    If I could pull off the mass production of a particular figure the way Vector has, everyone who could afford it would be the proud owner. Especially if they all had Ebayer's chomping at the bit the same way those Magnusesesesessesesesses [Magni] do.

Alas, Alt Galvatron and Icanfly's Clone will be the only two I ever produce.

14. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

I actually dislike remaking anything that I previously made. Mainly because it's just boring. The first time you make something it's fun. You have a finished product in you mind, you're trying new techniques, learning what works and what doesn't. All to create something truly unique.

IMO, if I just kept making the same thing over and over just for money, than it would start to feel more like a job than a hobby.

15. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

I actually dislike remaking anything that I previously made. Mainly because it's just boring. The first time you make something it's fun. You have a finished product in you mind, you're trying new techniques, learning what works and what doesn't. All to create something truly unique.

IMO, if I just kept making the same thing over and over just for money, than it would start to feel more like a job than a hobby.

16. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I've done copies of my own stuff a few times. These were all requests - I did the originals for myself and others wanted copies. Each time, the copy was FAR superior to the original. Practice makes perfect?

Not sure what this adds to the discussion...

17. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I've done copies of my own stuff a few times. These were all requests - I did the originals for myself and others wanted copies. Each time, the copy was FAR superior to the original. Practice makes perfect?

Not sure what this adds to the discussion...

18. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

First off I don't get why people wouldn't want to make fan made character customs for people. Seems rather selfish if you ask me.

Second, I think if you sold a custom to someone and it was implied that it was a one of a kind custom you should not reproduce it and sell more. The person who bought the firs one thought they were paying for a unique piece. That is why customs sell for so much. But, if you said in the beginning that others may be made and sold then feel free.

19. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

First off I don't get why people wouldn't want to make fan made character customs for people. Seems rather selfish if you ask me.

Second, I think if you sold a custom to someone and it was implied that it was a one of a kind custom you should not reproduce it and sell more. The person who bought the firs one thought they were paying for a unique piece. That is why customs sell for so much. But, if you said in the beginning that others may be made and sold then feel free.

20. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My thoughts exactly. I'm more of a quality not quantity kind of guy.