Dungeon Siege III: No Statham, Liotta, or Reynolds in this one

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Trenner Dios, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Anybody looking forward to this? I was, until I played the demo. It bored me to tears. I think I'm just burnt out on these type of games, and a little spoiled by the expansive world and customization options in Sacred 2. D&D: Daggerdale, Torchlight, and even this are failing to grab my attention (if only Torchlight had multiplayer!)

Also, multiple dialog trees in a game like this is excrutiating. The story doesn't appear to be anything we haven't seen a million times over, and the characters don't have any personality. Nobody cares, anyway; I just want to hack and slash and find loot. Yet, even looting and leveling up wasn't doing it for me in the demo.

I think I'll pass and get DOTM instead.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wanted to talk to you about this actually. I jumped on my 360 and downloaded the demo as soon as I got home, and it broke my heart. The thing about games like Champions, and Daggerdale, and Torchlight is that you do nothing but kill things for hours on end. So killing things has to feel good. Champions had this in spades, as the hit sounds coupled with blood spraying just made plowing through enemies a pleasure. Torchilight got it too, and even if Daggerdale is just Okay, it was still more fun than the borefest that the DS demo was. The enemies wouldn't even freakin' react when you hit them. They'd practically just blink until they died.

I'm with you, I'm passing on this. Which really sux, because I love these kind of games.

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    How on earth is Daggerdale in the same sentence as Torchlight? Torchlight is an epic game with plenty of polish and love, where Daggerdale is a very poor attempt at using a popular lisence and falling flat on every level.

I've palyed the demo of Dungeon Seige III also and it just lacked the polish and shine needed for it be anything more than mundane.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because I wasn't talking about the quality of the overall game. I even said Daggerdale was just Okay. I am talking about the way all three of those games implement a better combination of animation and sound to make your ass-kicking feel good on the screen. Dungeon Siege failed miserable at this. Even the old PSP Dungeon Siege worked better than this.

5. Trenner Dios

Exactly. I could have looked past everything else if the combat was satisfying. Sure, spin kicking into a crowd of enemies is kinda fun when they all go flying, but other than that...it was just meh. The enemies don't really care if you hit them, as half the time they're in the middle of hitting you.

I still think a lot of it is because I'm just very burnt out on these types of games, but I was still disappointed, as the videos made it seem like more than your average hack and slash.

And Daggerdale does look pretty weak. I watched my father-in-law play the demo, and it looked like the most generic thing I've ever seen in my life.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, we still have Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 on the horizon. I even thought Dungeon Hunter was better than these two, and you play the same dude on that one, even in 4 players, lol.

7. Trenner Dios

Hopefully I'll have a new computer just in time to play Diablo 3 alongside Starcraft II!

Really though, I just want effin' Sacred 3...

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Damn, I totally forgot about Sarced. Yes, yes, that game was sweet as hell! Huge fucking world too.

9. Trenner Dios

5 difficulty levels to play through, 6 classes to choose from, huge ass open world, 4 player multiplayer, ridiculous amounts of loot, crazy variety of customization, tons of abilities, leveling up to 200...yeah Sacred 2 is pretty sweet.

Also, it was glitchy as hell, had terrible voice acting, a pointless story, and my favorite character glitched out and now it won't let me load her anymore without freezing. I know tons of people who have lost EVERYTHING in the game multiple times, usually because they were playing with people who were modding and glitching the game out. Still, it was totally worth those 100's of hours of my life.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're referring to the console one, right? Because I thought the PC version had 16 players.

In addition to all you listed, the fucking game had Blind Guardian!

11. Trenner Dios

Ugh, yeah, I was referring to the console. On PC you got 2 additional classes that never saw the light of day on 360. There was pretty much no support for the 360 once Ascaron closed its doors. Soooo sad.

And I'm glad you reminded me about Blind Guardian. That terrible, terrible CGI music video will forever be one of my favorite WTF? moments in gaming.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was a total WTF moment, but I love the band, and I got to hear one of their new songs almost a year before the album came out.

Also, I loved how everything in the game HATED you. Everything. Ride your horse down the road and every imaginable life form would chase you until you got off the horse and killed them.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  13. Trenner Dios

I know! They wouldn't give up; you could have a group of 80 enemies behind you, just waiting to be hit with one giant AOE attack, and then the experience just never stops coming...

And you actually rode one of the horses? I don't think that I've ever seen anyone actually ride a horse, just the special mounts. I almost completely forgot horses were an option, lol!

14. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I kind-of liked Sacred 1+2 but with both games I got bored halfway through and never finished them - I wasn't keen on the endless mobs and the random item bonuses/names.

I am looking forwards to D3 - they haven't screwed up a game yet.

15. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    You guys might be interested in Crimson Alliance. It's another dungeon crawler, but it might end up being good. Trailer/demo will be shown at E3.

[​IMG]

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That screenshot looks pretty fucking sweet.

17. Trenner Dios

I like the look of it. Will have to wait and see!

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Had someone told me a year or so ago that we would be faced with several dungeon crawlers at once and that NOT ONE of them delivered the kind of multiplayer experience that Diablo II gave players years ago I would have called that person crazy.
    I’m casting a hopeful, yet cautious eye in the direction of Crimson Alliance.

19. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bump.

Anyone else picking DS3 up after work/school today?

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No but I'm trying to figure out how to get it. I gave the demo another shot and enjoyed it more playing it with another person.