Dumb question..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tusko, Jan 3, 2008.

1. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I was just looking at the comic news and saw IDW's plans for their Star Trek books for 2008 and wished there was a similar high profile story on their TF stuff. (I know there are hints buried on Mr. Furman's blog etc.)

Anyway, my dumb question is: as a franchise how much bigger is Star Trek compared to Transformers?

I figure there are about 15000 TF comic readers, based on the circulation numbers. The movie raked in big bucks. There are years worth of cartoons and back stories. How does that compare to the prime time SF giant??

2. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

What's your measure of "bigger"?

Number of fans? Revenues? Number of lines (e.g. comics, novels, television shows, movies, etc.)? Longevity?

If it were me, I would primarily care about revenues for this type of question.

3. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Amount of Shat?

4. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Whatever ya got.

Fan base? Dollar value? Comic circulation? Personal opinion.

I want to have a feel for how much more pull Star Trek has compared to Transformers. I know the target audience is completely different but I think the movie bridges that difference.

5. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nowadays Star Trek's amount of pull's in limbo. Hopefully the new movie'll clear that up.

But seeing that back in the day it helped shape the modern fanboy and the conventions we go too, it's still got a lot of importance in the big picture. Ever seen the first Trekkies?

6. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Well let's compare.

Movies: Star Trek has 10 with a 11th on the way. Transformers has 2 - one animated box office dud, the other one of the top grossing of the year.

TV: There are 3 Star Trek TV series each with 7 seasons and two with less than four. G1 lasted about 4 years, BW about 3 years, BM 2 and the other 4 series lasted only one year each.

Longevity. Transformers has been around since 1984 while Star Trek has been around since 1966.

When you also count that Transformers' target audience is primarily preadolecents while Star Trek is mean to appeal to all ages, it goes without saying that the Transformers fandom pales in comparison to the Trek fandom.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think it's mostly an apples and oranges kinda thing. I'm just not sure you can compare the number of fans or the breadth of the brand (as far as comics, books, etc. go). The former is especially irrelevant, since soon as you ask that, you have to ask what kinda fan they are, and that's hard to answer.

Drippy already called the one major exception to that, and it's the one that the owners of the franchises care about. The only way to compare the two with any sort of consistency would be total revenue, and right now, Transformers almost certainly has the upper hand.

8. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Excellent answer (the other are too, thank you)

Now do you see Transformers catching up to Star Trek?

ST started out aimed at adolescence in the late 60s. Its stayed in prime time TV.

However Transformers has now grown a generation of followers from G1 who have a disposable income and the movie really aims for the general crowd. So I wonder if that gap will disappear and how far it has to go.

9. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    At its high point, Star Trek, I think was bigger than the TF fandom has ever been. Now I think that although TF has blown up and gotten huge, its not quite to that point.