Duke Nukem Forever and the 2-weapon limit

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Takeshi357, Jun 4, 2011.

?

Do you hate the 2-weapon limit and what type of system do you play on?

1. Yes (PC)

23.8%
  2. Yes (Console)

23.8%
  3. No (PC)

14.3%
  4. No (Console)

38.1%
  1. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

The 2-weapon system is nothing new on the PC, I mean, most realistic warfare simulators have it, but the problem is that DNF isn't one. The only other reason they could've implemented it was to appeal to the console gamers...who apparently can't use a weapon wheel. Go figure.

I already made this poll on Gearbox's own forums but I feel that I can't get truly impartial votes there.

2. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. I love it. It adds strategy because you have to think about wahat you have a lot more than when you can just carry everything.

3. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Plenty of console games have weapon wheels. There's also no "both" option for platform.

4. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The more pertinet question should have been; do you care about Duke Nukem?

"No (console)"
    "No (PC)"

Also the OP reads "I have no idea about the history of Duke Nukem Forever so I will rage about decisions I do not agree with in completely the wrong direction".

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  5. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree with TwinTwist. Couldn't this have just been a generic thread? Many games do this. Sounds like a PC gamer raging.

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

More like

What I expected: A throwback to 90's first person shooters

What I got: Call of Duty Duke Nukem

7. McBradders

So you've finished it already?

8. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm trying to find out if you're serious or not. You know, since it gets released a week from Tuesday.

9. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Go play the old Duke Nukem then?

They changed something, it doesnt ruin the core game. Don't like it, don't play it?

Or just make a Mod when its out to allow more weapons?

10. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

That's pretty much the only reason I'm still even looking forward to the game's release. I'm counting on such a thing happening.

When I first heard of the limit, I was like "No! Well, maybe it isn't that bad" and then I played the demo, and I was like "It IS that bad".

If they release a new Serious Sam game that's also for consoles AND you can carry a full arsenal regardless, I'm gonna laugh.

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I dislike 2 weapon limits but I deal with them when i must.

12. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

If the 2 weapon limit is enough to absolutely ruin the game to you, you probably wouldn't have liked it even if you could use all the weapons.

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Probably - but at least it might make it bearable. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but it is annoying as hell. The gameplay felt too much like a console port. I sure hope the full version addresses at least some of the problems.

14. McBradders

That's kinda my point.

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Can't say i'll be bothered if it is the case, there were only about 4 weapons in DN3D that were actually practical anyway and i'm sure the gearbox dudes will be leaving the appropriate guns lying around in the appropriate places.

16. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    But I miss the fun of running around with all the weapons. I feel limited in my options.

17. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    No option for both on the slightly crappy poll, so I'll say:

I like weapon limits, because it's not stupid. And I play both PC and Console. Carrying every weapon is both ridiculous and boring. Limiting this gives you a rare oppurtunity to actually think whilst playing an fps.

18. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    So the game isn't like you want it to be. Why do you feel the need to insult people who own a different gaming system than you do? What does console gaming have to do with the lack of a weapon wheel? Plenty of console games use weapon wheels: Gears of War, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, etc.

Duke Nukem Forever doesn't need a weapon wheel. That's why Gearbox didn't include one.

19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Sigh. Did anyone actually bother reading into what I said? Maybe I just worded myself poorly, so I'll explain myself. When I said that console gamers apparently can't use the weapons wheel, I meant that must've been the developers' point of view. Yes, I know a lot of console games use a weapons wheel, which was kinda my whole point. The fact is that 3D Realms implemented the limitation, not Gearbox; not because they didn't consider a weapon wheel, but...actually no, it's exactly because they didn't consider a weapon wheel. Judging from what Broussard said, they actually tried to key each weapon to each button of the gamepad before settling with the current system.

But this is Duke Nukem. It's supposed to be stupid and ridicilous! It shouldn't force you to think, it should force you to run around guns blazing blowing shit up because, you know, that's what Duke does.

Also the reason there's no option for both is because I want to find out whether the hate is exclusive to PC gamers or do console gamers hate it just as much.

And it just makes it an overtly cumbersome way of switching between weapons since you can't just pick up weapons by running over them, you have to look at them and HOLD, not press, HOLD the use key to actually pick the damn thing up - which can be a real pain in a firefight.

And because the guns are scattered around so liberally, it raises a question, why did they even bother? Oh wait, I think I already answered that question, lol.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Carefully thought out tactics have no place in Duke Nukem gameplay. If I have run out of ammo mowing down the pig monsters with my machine gun, I may want to choose the rocket launcher for maximum gibs, or perhaps my Death Ray for the sake of tradition, or maybe just put them all away and take out my manly fists and beat them up until I kick them with my Nuclear Weapon tipped boots.

In most games, the limit makes sense, adds to tension and to quality of online play; especially in team based shooters such as the upcoming Battlefield 3 :D 

Duke Nukem Forever is not one of those games. This is full blown, Rated M for Manly-Old School Arnie/Sly-One man Army-cigar chomping-badass silly buggers. The Duke's bread and butter is Refuge in Audacity; I know the Duke can carry all those guns on his back cos he's got balls of steel and the manliest chin on Earth. The sheer power of his awesomeness sustains him, and I the player.

The limit is disappointing. Not cool 3D Realms, not cool. (Edited for accuracy)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011