Dude, get off your high horse

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Saw this article on Fark. Now, it's not the article content itself that blew my mind, but the style of the writer and his personal opinions on any culture under his own age. It's sad, entertaining and mockworthy when giant-lower-lip, wine-sipping uberyups write for newspapers, because you get shit like this:

Know what? I have a minor in communication & culture and the biggest thing I took away from my work in that field is that you're supposed to find ways to understand a culture based on their communication methods, not ostracize yourself by using their communication methods as a grounds for comparing them to idiots.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no, no that cant be right. just one of our douche is equivalent to the average douche output of the 3rd world country.

but, yeah, that guys a douche.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I think I know these guys, there called dicks...

My Take, is there too much sex in advertising?
    Compared to what? 50 yrs ago, when women stayed at home and cooked, while the men did the work. When it was proper for a women to act like a Lady at all time.
    Please... The whole idea is a farce.

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Team Jetfire, that exact quote is what made me roll my eyes. The irony, in my opinion, is this:

Actually, being culturally incompetent is pretty embarrassing - although it's not a necessity, having knowledge about popular and modern culture makes a person more accessible and makes culture more accessible to him/her.

Kinda akin to the "proper spelling, grammar, punctuation as your verbal fashion style" metaphor I mentioned a while back, this is another place where I think that a person's understanding of and use of popular culture facilitates and eases their ability to interact with ANY subgroup of society.

Also, on an ironic note...Isn't the world of filling your house with IKEA, attending classy dinner parties and reading the New Yorker its own subculture? I know that I'm culturally incompetent in regards to THAT culture. However, I'm not declaring that my culture - the technosavvy 20s-age sci-fi geek savants - is more important or takes precedence over another culture.

From my perspective, writers - particularly journalists - use their style of writing to define themselves and give their articles a literary signature that distinguishes them from others. This "Harpers' Bazaar/New Yorker" persona, though, is cliche - at least, in my opinion. It's been around for nearly 80 years now and, while it does a good job of distinguishing a writer as capably "upper-crust" in his articles, it really seems useless in this society. Yeah, there are rich upper-crust Manhatteners that cruise about town celebrating the social scene and, yes, there will always be yuppies, but if that's the exact group to which this Toronto Star (!?) journalist is pandering, then - at least to me - it seems like he's a near-century late to the "Oh dear, let's get uppity about those raucous teenagers!" party.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    sounds like a guy trying to make up for lagging behind current social trends. premature mid life crisis, hello?

seriously, i'm above the average age of posters here, and while i dont try to keep up with jyoung 'uns socio-cultural standards, i have no intention to be that grumpy guy who refuses to keep with the times.

live in the now, man! /garth

6. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Agreed, In this day and age, people, in my mind can be both quite intelligent and street smart. I for one am glad that I got the reference to the 'More CowBell' (Hella funny) and the shocker. Although somewhat inappropriate (depending on the situation, I guess...) these are (among others) traits of the society that we live in. The people who succeed in this society have a good understanding of their environment and this is part of that. To me a well rounded person knows who Mozart and Kayne West are.

That being said, I don't think Ikea is the place where the upper class like to shop for furniture. Don’t get me wrong, half of my house is furnished from there, but the idea of a high class individual such as he, fighting with a friggin book case that will just not go together properly, is kind of funny...

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    haha you misspelled kanye west. noob.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Apparently my spell check is intertwined with these higher class professionals that the article writer speaks of, how else would it not pick up my error... :redface2: 

You are right to call me a noob ***hangs head in shame***

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Eh, don't worry about it. It could be worse - you could be the guy that doesn't get the "more cowbell" joke.

10. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I'm flabbergasted.

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I do have a fever, And I belive the only cure would be more cowbell.

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

How long ago did the cowbell sketch happen? 6- 7 years?

13. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Sooo .... what's all the fuss about?

14. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I can only imagine what came up when he googled "shocker."

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Yikes, that’s a long time ago..

I did a search on Google for a pic of Chris Walken in that sketch. There were 5-6 sites devoted to cowbell and Walken.
    I wonder what their message boards are like...

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    He could at least have shared my term for the Shocker: two in the pink, one in the stink.

17. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

The title alone is retarded. How is this the death of the double entendre? There are people of my generation who speak mostly in double entendres.

18. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I can't believe this thread's not about horse sex. Dam you!

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lol 
    Sounds like somthing that tom green would do...