Customs: Dubro nylon hinges

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by I AM MEGATRON, Mar 5, 2010.

1. I AM MEGATRON

I AM MEGATRON pleasure model

Hey everyone, Im just making this thread to provide information I think might be helpful to people considering ordering a few of these.
    It all started a few months back when Redline suggested I use some dubro aircraft hinges instead of the brass hobby ones that you can pick up at your local hobby shops/ home depot etc. I did procrastinate on it until now..and now I can say i really regret that I did.
    I ordered a set of small nylon hinges (item # DUBQ2035) and micro E/Z hinges (item # DUBQ0937) from Tower hobbies. (Both came in a sets of 15)
    Now I've looked at them before, and the size of these parts are described on the site.. but because I had no picture with the actual relative size (and Im lazy), I was a bit skeptical on how 'small'- small actually was.

first off the small hinges:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see here in the first two pictures, the size of the hinges aren't as wide relative to the brass hinges (and a quarter), plus the fact that it can be easily cut with a scissors if you need to trim to fit is a definite plus. The pin seems to be a hollow tube, with one end capped and the other simply crimped.

[​IMG]
    Now the only downside for me was that the hinge doesn't fold over on itself...however with some clever placement by use of notching you can get the effect you want.. the movement in both directions is exactly the same.

Micro E/Z hinges

I picked these up sort of on a whim..I can see how they could be used for making joints almost Revol style..with a hinge and pegs which may rotate if placed inside a hole...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was again pleasantly surprised on how small this thing was though.. this could be perfect for adding articulation to G1 figures or for even adding extra joints to deluxe sized figures..the shafts of each size are ridged..with the ends tapered..i suppose that if a hole is drilled and the plastic expanded a bit these could simply be frictioned in place..allowing for bicep or thigh rotation. Just be construction it can be seen that the wont fold over on themselves, however the bend is a bit past 90 degrees.

[​IMG]

The package they come in suggests drilling the hole for the shaft at a diameter of 3/32". you can see relative to a screw taken from a deluxe figure (does it matter really lol?) how thick the shaft is.

Summary

[​IMG]

Overall with both of these products Im quite pleased...a few WIP's I had done previously could have greatly benefited from the flexibility these hinges provide. There are a couple cons being: not fully folding, and i would say that for heavier pieces, they might not be as strong as brass hinges. But if your looking for smaller pieces like these without wanting to go scavenging from other figures Id say they're a good buy

Attached Files:

2. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info mate! :) 

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I appreciate you sharing this info! I've always wanted to see the actual size comparisons and could never really find any pics to see. After seeing this and those other hinges/joints, I gotta say, I'll be picking up some of these in the near future for some planned Aerialbots reshells.

Andy (Redline) always touts these and for good reason! Definitely nice to see some helpful info like this--thanks again!