Customs: Dual model kits parts?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Mar 26, 2011.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys, so I was wondering, has anyone thought of maybe trying to cast the hands and heads for those dotm model kits for lesser prime customs? I'm sure they're are a lot of people around that would buy them. Just a thought!

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Do you know how big the hands are, and how many parts are involved? They look like they're pretty heavily articulated, so I'd expect them to be quite a complex undertaking. Some of the more experienced casters might well be able to do it, but I wouldn't think they'd be cheap.

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, no idea, I know they are 1/35 scale, or close to it I thought. BB's hands look like they are all fix posed cats, but primes hands look a bit more simple than I thought ttery would be. And if the kit cone with the hands disassembled like im hoping, making a mold shouldn't be that difficult. If someone were interested in a joint effort, I'd but the kits, make ther molds, and send them out to someone to make the casts, as I tried my hand at making molds many moons ago, and I couldn't get anything to come out right. I'm already buying the kits anyway, so making the molds and sending them to someone to cast parts wouldn't be a problem on my end. This is all based on the idea that the kits are deluxe and leader class sizes as well.

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

if they are still on the tree when you get them, making a two part mold shouldn't be too hard (since it's injection molded and the seam line would follow the tree, half of the complexity would be eliminated right there since you wouldn't have to set up each tiny little finger just right) It's by no means a slam dunk, but more possible.
    I will be buying the kit as well, and I may try and do this.

Randy!

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm not quite sure what counts as 1/35, when the kit's supposed to turn into both Prime and BB. :p 
    I'm actually exploring the possibility of designing hands at various sizes and articulation for my Shapeways shop, since I know how much of a bugger it is to source them normally.

6. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

What? what do you mean Prime & BB? this isn't the trans scanning where they share the same inner body, there is a definantly a scale difference between the two. Did I miss something?

Randy!

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Really? I thought that was the whole reason they were called "dual" model kits, because the frame worked for both characters. I'm probably completely wrong, since I haven't really been paying attention to the kits till this thread. :p 

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lmao, ramrider, they're 2 different kits bro. If you look on the front page of the site, uuuu can see tgay bee and prime are about the same height differences as the deluxe and leader figures.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, two completely different kits. The dual in the name refers more to that they have 'protoform' frames, even if it's just the basic 'skeletons' without all the kibble attached.

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Consider me edjumacated. :dunce 

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Heh, edjumicated :lol  :D .

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

No, "edjumAcated". Lern too spel.

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oooooohhhhhhhhh, I'm sarry. :D 

14. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so it looks like the hands on that prime kit may be in parts! Who's up for recasting them?