Dual Model Kit Optimus Prime (DMK 01)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Dally, Jun 30, 2011.

1. RHALX

RHALX Well-Known Member

When I think that some people on the forums were crying and bitching pretending he's not movie accurate enough.

He looks just perfect on some of your pics up there, especially with the LEDS.

2. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    That's what is so amazing about this model, he looks just as awesome from the back as he does from the front. I can hardly decide how to actually display him, he is so full of awesomeness, I need to find a rotating pedestal!!!

Here is my take on this piece of art:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. captain america

captain america Well-Known Member

Compared to what? The Tonka-like proportions of the transforming toys?

To be honest, I think that the DMK version is head-and-shoulders above the overpriced and poorly-painted Sideshow monstrosity for a tenth of the cost AND it's poseable to boot.

For what it's worth, to get any model of movie OP 100% accurate would just be a physical impossibility due to the complexity of the design, but this model is exceptionally good and certainly better than any other commercially available figure/toy/collectible.

I'll definitely have to get several and make at least one with light-up eyes, lights and battle blades. :cool: 

4. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    you need to dust that stand yo.

5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will be getting mine in a week or two, and would like to paint it myself for super detailing. I read on another site that this model is made from ABS and PVC plastics, and was wondering if there is a method I can use for removing the paint without harming the plastic?

6. Mojotron

Mojotron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Why would you need to remove the paint? Just rough it up and use the pre-painted flames for a guide to apply your decals.

7. PixelMagic

News Credits:
    Because it looks like plastic and I want to paint it to look like metal and car parts. I am one for hyper detailing.

8. Mojotron

Ebay:
    I would just paint over the material already there. Use a nice primer, mask off the flames if you can for placement of the decals after you hit it with the paint. To be honest, Im just going to dry brush the inner frame with some Testors aluminum paint and hit the details of the armor. The yellow to red gradation that has to be pulled off for the custom paint job to look stellar is just something I can't manage right now.

9. PixelMagic

News Credits:
    That's a possibility, but the main reason I want to strip the paint is so I don't "double paint" the model and obscure detail with heavy paint coats. I'd like to start with the raw plastic, so that I can keep maximum detail.

I have painted polystyrene models before, and successfully removed the paint quite well with Easy Off oven cleaner, but I'm not sure how that will react to this model plastic since it is ABS and PVC as opposed to polystyrene.

Some of the parts look to be raw plastic simply molded in that color, which I can then paint on top of, but I can't be sure until I have the thing sitting in front of me.

10. Mojotron

Ebay:
    I haven't broken into the box yet but it looks like most of the armor has been molded in that color with the flames being decals. So you may be in luck, being able to paint right on the parts the first time out.

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The armor parts are all molded in color. What you see on a stock model with prime is the molded plastic with flame tampo'd onto them, like the basic figures with their paint apps. The kit DOES conger with decals for those who want to paint the kit.

12. PixelMagic

News Credits:
    That's good to know. However, it's clear that the head is painted since the mold color is blue, and the face has silver paint. I think this will take me about 10 years to paint and build properly. :p 

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lol, yea, that's what I was saying is that everything is prepainted, :) 

14. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    the good thing about the head is that it comes in 12 pieces. also nothing snaps into place it's all literally held together by pure Friction.

and somehow most of it holds together extremely well.

the 2 pieces that give me all the issues though is the 2 gold pieces on his collar piece.

15. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Still haven't got mine out of the box yet. Thinking of buying an SD gundam to brush up on how to properly build a model kit (and learn how to drybrush). Last time I built a model kit was in 2002.

Bought me a AU$10 model kit of US Navy Seal Team 3. Is that a good deal? Bought it from this posh looking toy shop in Sydney, Australia. It actually comes with 4 figures and it is in scale with OP and BB (1:35). Figured they might be able to pass as Lennox, Epps, and a couple of blokes.

16. Mojotron

Ebay:
    I'm cracking into mine today, I used my voyager prime from the first release to practice drybrushing (although I'm sure it would be much easier having a barebones skeleton). I'm thinking buying a gundam might not be a bad idea. It's been since 01-02 since I have built anything on this scale.

17. AutobotEngineer

AutobotEngineer Highly Dubious

Ditto on those gold pieces, those got glued as soon as I had the whole figure together.

I also carefully glued the headlight assembly, the chrome cylinders on his shoulders, and the two parts of his hip armor together, as all these parts where coming off with little provocation. So far, so good.

This is without a doubt the best transformers product I own. I am really, really hoping the line continues and we see a Sentinel Prime.

18. yongkykun

Does the kit come with decals for the chest?

[​IMG]

And what tool do I need to scrape off the arm's spikes? The pic above has the spikes scraped so that they don't have those horrid wings.

19. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    That's because those are totally different than the final product.

Me thinks those are actually painted prototypes hense why they are so much more insanely detailed than the ones we got.

20. yongkykun