Dual Action model kit-Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by alexcollier, Jun 28, 2011.

1. alexcollier

alexcollier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished building this little guy. Now it's on to Optimus.

I have mixed feelings about this kit. The sculpt and detail are exceptional. It really does a fantastic job at replicating a movie accurate Bumblebee. However, this is NOT a toy. I havn't actually glued any pieces on this kit but as it is, you can't play around with this thing once it's completed. Pieces always fall off. The tires on the back, the yellow pieces on the forearms, the neck detail, the shoulder pads all have a habit of falling off.

If glued, this little BB would be a pretty neat little toy to fiddle with. But it's still a delicate model that needs to be displayed and left alone on a shelf. This is in contrast to Prime who (so far) seems sturdier and more toy like than his little yellow buddy.

Now the breakdown-

Build-

Blissfully easy. It really does seem daunting when you see all those sprues with the smallest parts you could imagine. But it goes by very easily with clear instructions.

Fiddly bits and warnings-

Be careful when removing the eyes from the sprue. They will break in two if you are not careful. Mine did. However, this does not affect anything once they are put in the head. But losing a piece may result if you are not careful.

The head is also a tricky bugger to assemble. Mostly getting the little pipes on the neck to stay on.

And try not to force anything on this guy. it's very fragile and if you accidentally slip, you'll find pieces flying across the room like I did.

Quality-

The p;astic here is nothing to write home about. it's standard model kit fare with all the pros and cons you'd expect. Average grade plastic. The paint job is very so-so (at least on BB). The yellow pieces are a little translucent at times and this looks a little bad when you have the painted black details. it shows through the yellow. Nothing here is revolutionary.

Articulation-

Not bad. But nothing special. You can achieve the high-kick in my photo only if you remove some of the leg armor. The articulation is no better than a good deluxe figure. The head is on a balljoint (two infact) but it cannot move side-to-side without fear of that damn neck piece falling off or moving out of place. The torso is amazingly articulated...until you put on all the pieces and you get waist rotation and a the ability to lean back. But you can't make him curl forward. The basic skeleton can, but BB cannot once all plated up.

The legs are standard. You can get as much articulation as you can from the deluxe BBs. The ankles have a little more articulation.

Is it worth it?

Yeeeeah. Really, the only thing this kit has going for it is a little more of the movie proportions of the CG and all the little details that get lost in the translation to a deluxe toy. I actually think that Battle Blade BB is a much more enjoyable TOY but this is a great display model. For the money, it's not bad. I paid for this almost what the average deluxe is going for in my local stores.

Attached Files:

2. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    DMK 02 Bumblebee Dual Model

I just got home from vacation and had this guy (and optimus prime) waiting for me. Naturally i'm working on a video, but here are some pictures i took. I'm not the best at photography lol but i hope you enjoy..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. imranbecks

imranbecks Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool... Looks pretty CGI accurate, though not as detailed as the Optimus Prime model.. My only gripe for this figure is the yellow looks a bit off, and the chevrolet logo on the chest isn't painted!!!! How about some rear shots of the robot mode?

4. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know, I was interestedi n these at first...but they just don't look good to me. I don't know what it is, but they just don't do anything for me and certainly not enough to spend that much money on them.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't like how big the shoulders are and how small the chest is. Not bad but Optimus just did so much more.

6. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    He looks good, but he doesn't look like he'd be worth his price tag. Unlike Optimus.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The pics don't do this model justice at all guys. After a few mods to the weapon arm, he's about as perfect as optimus is. Yes, he's not as detailed, but for his size, he's very detailed. A but of paint, and he'll look like he jumped off the screen.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Maybe it's the lack of paint, but he still doesn't look like his onscreen counterpart... Just looks like another BB toy. I'm still tempted though.

9. FakeEyes22

FakeEyes22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this guy looks pretty cool. Unfortunately, he's going to be compared a lot to the Optimus DMK, who has tons more detail since he's way larger. I bet they look really cool as a pair.

I imagine BB was quite a bit cheaper, so I'd compare him more to a HG Gundam kit where paint is optional, but can really improve a model. Optimus seems more like the Perfect Grade Gundam's "I'd better not have to paint a damn thing!" price range.

10. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I mat bite the bullet and get this.. I do not like the way it looks...seems it could have more "mass" to it than it does...

11. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, but that's where people such as ourselves come in :thumb .

12. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    well, I picked this guy up just because of the simple fact of how cool prime is..haha..

13. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I might probably get this.

14. Optibotimus

Optibotimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
  15. Stormcrow

Stormcrow Well-Known Member

Assembled mine yesterday. This thing is beautiful. Really enjoyable to put together, and looks incredible in any pose.

16. RHALX

RHALX Well-Known Member

He's really cool, but I think the chest is really failed.

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Ahhhh what a little paint will do for this kit.. I'll tell you what though, this kit has completely made me appreciate just how accurate the battle blade mold can be with mods!

18. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    DUUUDE Best pics of this BB ive seen, Ive been o n the fence for a while on this one, but your pictures make me drool a bit, may... give.... in....

19. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is those pics are making you drool, you're gonna cave when I paint him in thr sunrise yellow then, :lol !!

20. petes2177

petes2177 the poowrr?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is that arm cannon a custom? If so, it looks a lot better than the original.