DS's Retro Reviews

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by DecepticonSpike, Mar 17, 2011.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I’m not sure if this should go here or in the comics section, so if it’s ion the wrong place, please move it.

I’ve been going though my comics collection, and have decided to reread every TF comic I have, by series, so I decided to start out with Dreamwave G1.

G1 Vol. 1. Preview.
    For being the first G1 comics in 10 years, there is a surprising lack of TFs in it. Sure, it’s only 8 pages, and it 99.99999% buildup, but it sets the tone for the return of G1, but, to this day, I’m still not sure of this was a good way to kick start the series. Personally I’d have liked to have seen them finding a TF, instead of knowing where a few are, but, the final page revel of Soundwave half buried in the ice is still, IMO, worth the build up, even though said build up lasts up though #1.

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd probably put this in the Comics section, as you might get more comment/interest.

I do agree with your comments on the Preview... that last splash page of buried Soundwave was really something "back in the day" (and this coming from a very anti-Dreamwave comic reader).

3. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm hoping a Mod will move it.

4. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Dreamwave G1 Vol. 1 #1

The first issue of the DW G1 universe starts out in a way that tells us that TF has grown up with the audience it was targeted to, with humans being killed on panel, complete with blood spray. However, most TF’s in this issues are just quick glimpses, teasing the reader (a glimpse of Hound, and another of Starscream or another Seeker) until we get the full reveal of Megatron. But, like the preview issues, most of the action centers on the human characters (Spike, Gen. Hallo, Lazusus). It’s not until the very last page, where we see that the US government has found Optimus Prime that we actually get the feeling that G1 is back. I did like how they establish that some of the events of the G1 cartoon did happen, but which ones did and didn’t happen remained a mystery at this point in the series.

5. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Dreamwave G1 Vol. 1 #2

Picking up where issue 1 left off, Spike holds the key to bringing Optimus Prime out if statis lock, but, Spike hold prime responicible for Sparkplug’s death. Of course spike brings Back prime, and Prime uses the Matrix (You’ve got the touch!) to revive some Autobots. The Terrorist arms dealer, Lazasus, used controlled TF’s to destroy an oil refinery as a demonstration. The best part, though, was Megatron coming online, and showing people he doesn’t take crap from anyone.