DSLR Camera Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Optimus Kharnal, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

Wanting to get a DSLR Camera for our Trip to Hawaii this summer would like some suggestions thanks.

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Entry level
    Canon Rebel TX1 (shipping at the end of the month), but if you can track down an XSI then you'd be getting a little more bang for your buck.

If you've a little more money then the Nikon D90 is a good buy and you get HD video to boot. The Canon 40D has better ISO performance than the 50D and since it's being discontinued you can get a 40D for a good price. But, the 50D is available with an 18-200mm kit lens, which is a good all purpose lens. Kit lenses are always a bargain.

Or just blow your load on the Canon 5D mk II. Or, trade a kidney for a Nikon D3X.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    bingo. Rebel XSI is great entry level DSLR.

i have a XTI and love it. and its easy enough in auto mode for my wife to even take great photos.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Might get some more responses here.

5. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    When I first started shooting, I had a Pentax SLR. So, because I already had a lot of lenses, it made sense for me to get a Pentax DSLR - I have the Pentax K200D.

Amazing image quality, easy to use, and VERY sturdy - it has 16 points of weatherproofing, so it can also take a lot of abuse and come out just fine. Here's my favorite part, though : Pentax makes all of its cameras and lenses to be backwards compatible, so all Pentax lenses will work on it (until VERY recently, with the digital-only lenses). Doesn't matter if the lense is 1, 5, or 10 years old - it'll work on the DSLR. I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but I have heard that Pentax is unique for this.

On Amazon.com, it'll run you about $566 for the body and lens - not a bad deal at all. Good luck!

6. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    I'm hearing a lot of good things about Panasonic's G1(and it's got quite the appropriate name). It's not a true DSLR, as the camera doesn't use the traditional mirror system, but instead the Micro Four Thirds digital sensor system. The camera's gotten tremendous marks from people who use it.

The down side, obviously, is that since it's a newer system the lenses are gong to be unique to the G1. There is apparently an adapter but it might limit the automatic features you'd be able to use. It apparently has some issues with noise in high ISO, but if you're going to Hawaii, I don't think ISO's going to be a huge issue necessarily.

But then again, I'm a huge Sony guy, anyway. I bought a DV351 Mini-DV camcorder back in 2001. That thing's been bumped around, subjected to just about every shooting condition you could imagine(ocean, heavy snow, rain, etc.) and it still works great.

No matter what, I swear by these sites: DPReview and Digital Camera Resource Page. DPReview is more technical, but I'd look at any camera you seriously consider on these sites. Tons of information, and the side by side comparisons are terrific.

Hope this helps!

7. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I would look at some Nikons. They have great lenses. The Rebel is a bit smallish for the hands.

8. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i've got a rebel xti which was the model just before the xsi. it's a great camera. canon rebel is definitely recommended.