DSi: Endless Possibilities

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Oct 28, 2008.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

The DSi, Nintendo's latest handheld, is a variation on the DS, but is it a full revolution or just passing gas? Check the facts:
    IGN: DSi: Just the Facts (And a Little Speculation)

With the DSi launching in Japan in just a few days, will a new DS craze begin? Nintendo stated that here in the US it wont be released until "well into 2009." Its hitting Japan now because of slumping DS Lite sales, but wont they start to slump here in the states as well? With people learning of the DSi, wont they just wait for its release instead of buying a DS Lite now? What about folks that want to import it? Its not region exclusive meaning that US DS titles will work on a Japanese DSi. So it seems that the US populace will be cutting back on the DS Lite in anticipation of the DSi which means that the DSi will show up here probably sooner than you may think. Perhaps spring '09? Two major DS releases will be happening in March, Blue Dragon Plus and Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars. I'm thinking bundles, Blue Dragon - DSi is white with blue game art tattooes & GTA - DSi is black with red game art tattooes?

What can we expect from Nintendo's latest greatest piece of hardware?

2. strscrm

Pokemon Snap on DSi:

A new Pokemon Snap would be very popular. You'd use the exterior camera to take shots of wild Pokemon, although not quite. While taking regular photos with the camera will earn you points that you can exchange to upgrade in-game equipment and such, a sort of grinding, taking shots in-game would be different. In the game, the camera setup that the character uses is exactly the same as the exterior camera setup so it seems like you're really in the game taking snapshots just like you would in the real world. Controls: just move the DSi around. Take a shot of a Pidgey flying directly overhead, aim the DSi towards the sky and shoot. Want to capture a shot of that Dugtrio emerging from the ground like a Locust? Well, just tilt it towards the ground and snap. Movement, walking around and such would be controlled by the D-Pad or touch screen, but the ability to aim the camera by moving the DSi around would heighten the possibility of gameplay.

Add some story. You're a photographer that does freelance. You've been contracted by a WWF-like organization (World Wildlife Foundation) to travel different lands to document certain populations of Pokemon that are getting near extinct. By snapping photos, you'll be able to keep track of population numbers in certain regions and know which ones need help so they dont go extinct because not all of the Pokemon that you photograph are extinct. Some you just cant seem to get rid of.

Connect: Share online your best snapshots because aren't you trying to prove that you're the best photographer out there. Take snapshots of certain rare and elusive Pokemon and you may just be rewarded for your efforts (Gold/Silver Pokemon that can be transferred to Diamond/Pearl/Platinum). Possible connection possibilities to future DS/Wii Pokemon titles. Gold & Silver DS remake?

3. strscrm

Much like the Wii's WiiWare, the DS will be getting its own DSiWare. With this it is strongly believed the DSi will be getting its own Virtual Library, chock full of handheld titles from the past from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Sega GameGear, etc., even possibly the Game Boy Advance. Some titles that I would like to see made available are:

Links Awakening DX
    Oracle of Seasons
    Oracle of Ages
    Super Mario Land

4. strscrm

Now that the DSi is out now in Japan, has anyone imported yet? How is it?

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, I almost sold my DS to buy Resistance, but thought better of it because I have a lot of Classic GBA games that I still would like to play, so this is definitely not going to make me buy another system that I rarely play.

Admittedly, Zelda Oracle series is tempting if it were to come, as are the Genesis Megadrive games, but with Sega's new announcement, I'm sure that a PSP version of those 40 Genesis games will be coming for 20 bucks, as opposed to 5 bucks per game.

So I'm sure nintendo will claim originality with this when I've been downloading classic games for my PSP for months, and "from" my PSP for a few weeks now.

6. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    Can't wait for spring next year

I'm totally getting one for my birthday in March

7. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Be careful if you are importing one...It is supposedly region locked, for the internet stuff at least, dont know if you will need to import japanese game cartridges for it though.

8. Ratchet2007

News Credits:
    I'm not gonna import cause it should be out here by spring

9. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I don't like their pick of music format. Should have stuck with .mp3. Also the lack of GBA slot will cause problems. I suppose it'll depend on what the homebrew scene comes up with to unlock it. The use of an SD slot might make homebrew much easier without the need for adapters like the supercard. As my entire music collection is in mp3 and I have no desire to re-encode the chance of a purchase for me will hinge on this. My DSlite with 2 supercards already plays mp3s runs emulators, homebrew, internet aps and all sorts of things and supports SDHC. But I would like to get those bigger screens, and I wouldn't mind having a camera on it either. Given that the Japanese version has already been hacked, It'll probably eventually have what I want on it. Though I'm in the minority here as a homebrew user. For the rest of people this is pretty much an upgrade.

10. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

I dunno, the downloads sound alright but I think I'd rather get a 360 finally than a new DS.

By the way, what is this "supercard" you speak of? and can it do emulators of older systems?

11. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Well, here's hoping for a price drop on the current DS, and before Christmas too.

12. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

The supercard is quite nice. It's essentially a flash card adapter for the DS. There are different models, some of which go in the GBA slot and some which go in the DS slot. You put a flash card (SD or Micro SD depending on the one you choose) along with whatever programs you like and essentially run programs like a tiny PC.

Yes there are emulators that run on it. Go to wikipedia and look up DS homebrew, and List of DS homebrew.

I personally use a combo of the Supercard Lite and Supercard One (thought he lite probably isn't necessary if you're not a serious power user and need that extra RAM). The ONE supports SDHC so it's probably the best bet. You can pick one up at SuperCard Store - we ship worldwide though if you're lucky you can find them cheaper on ebay. There's other options like the M3 and R4 too. The wikipedia article is more helpful than I could be so go look there.

Though if the DSi is hacked a supercard may be entirely unnecessary with that built in SD slot.

13. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Got a CycloDS in mine. Nice piece of hardware.

14. Ratchet2007

News Credits:
    I really hope it is priced between £100 and £120

15. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

i had my origional DS untill last christmas when the Zelda DS and Phantom Hourglass combo came out, i'm not gonna get a DSi anytime soon(unless i get one for my wife, wink, wink, nudge, nudge). or maybee i can HOPE for a zelda DSi sometime in the future.

16. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    One word for me: Expansions.

Say you buy a DS game. The company, instead of just making a new installment, can work a little on patches that would add more and more stuff to your game.

See, you download the expansion and it becomes it's own channel. And with every update, that channel grows and grows, making the world of your game bigger and bigger!

17. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

good point, may have to get that one for my wife like stated erlier. i told my wife i'd get her one because i bought her a DS lite so we could play togather and my 4 year old has taken it over.

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    If the DSi starts offering something more to the table than my current DS fat then alright, until then, I'll just wait and see.
    DN