DS War for Cybertron thoughts!

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Skyjack, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Skyjack

Skyjack Well-Known Member

Personally I think the DS version has alot going for it and would like to discuss with those who have it and don't what its all about.

I will start with the gameplay and the characters. I switched with the Autobot/Decepticon versions, and was using Megatron and Optimus alot at first. At first the game felt clunky as you use the D-PAD to move your character around. The more you play through the story and arena the more characters get unlocked. The biggest gameplay trump the DS has on the consoles is your melee weapon, if you use your melee weapon the character will hold it and run around with it ready to strike. Which is accompanied by a Zelda-esque targeting system. There is a 3-4? hit combo you can pull off with everybots weapon. Each character has a different generic gun(big, medium, and small). Whats really neat is that when you find and unlock a character like Cliffjumper, you notice first that he is carrying a BIG gun and for melee carries 2 one handed swords.

more later from me...anyone want to add anything?

2. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got the Autobot version. I love Cyclonus in this. My Optimus is level 17, Jazz 15 and Sideswipe 13. While I love the PS3 version, the DS has the better roster. So many options and the designs are excellent. I'm up to Hot Rod in the arena. I plan on going back and leveling up everybody. I did notice some of the later missions are pretty tough. But overall I enjoy this game. It's an unknown gem.

I like how both versions have bonus missions for the opposite faction. That was a good move by the developers.

3. Chevluh

Chevluh Well-Known Member

I went through the whole autobot version and unlocked everything. Done most of the decepticon campaign too but I was stopped dead in my tracks by the last boss. Turns out with all the practice and tricks I'd gotten through the autobot version I reached the decepticons' last boss at a significantly lower level (for the autobots I went in with a level 18 Grimlock, who regenerates almost as fast as he can be hurt) so he kills me with one or two strikes.

All in all it's a pretty great game.

4. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    I'm playing autobots.my prime is lv 18 , cliffjumper - 14 , silverbolt - 12 .
    I've just beat brawl.almost the whole fight I was driving in truck mode with prime and shooting him , cuz my cliff died early , lol.I like arena and bonus missions with cons.
    but , I just can't find one data disk in missions " Rescuing Zeta Prime " and "Gaining strength" :(  any help?

5. Cyclonus86

Cyclonus86 Wrecker - Wreck 'N' Rule

News Credits:
    Playing the Autobot version. Just unlocked Hot Rod and man is he cockier than ever “ Talent and Looks, I got it all” , wish they had include him in the console versions. The best part is I haven’t even touch the main campaign yet (just completed the first two stages) and I’m totally hooked with Arena. Can’t wait to unlock Grimlock. Probably be using Grim and Roddy when I play the campaign.

6. Skyjack

My favorite so far is cliffjumper and silverbolt on the ds. I long for a Transformers pre earth action RPG on a PC/CONSOLE. This game is great but its more of an appetizer than anything..OKOK aaahh really freaking delicious appetizer!

ARRGGH! I can't wait to unlock Cyclonus either!

7. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Can someone explain the DS version to me? I think I may be interested but have no idea how it even plays? Shooter? RPG?

8. Skyjack

Third Person shooter/lite rpg

anyone want to add anything?

9. Chevluh

Chevluh Well-Known Member

Health and ammo regenerate instead of having to be picked up. More emphasis on close combat, eahc bot has a combo with a finisher that'll knock out the enemy for a bit.

Instead of premade teams of 3 where it's you and two AIs, it's tag teams of two where you freely choose 2 bots and one is on-screen and you can switch whenever you want. You'll switch to let the other regenerate or because a given character's more appropriate, since there are 3 types of damage and each bot can usually only deal 2, bar special circumstances. You can lock on enemies in robot mode but not vehicle mode, but vehicles deal all types of damage simultaneously. Fliers have to land to regenerate ammo. There's 3 types of vehicles (light, heavy, fliers) and there are places you can access only if you're a specific vehicle type.

All in all it's pretty good fun.

10. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I want to like the xbox version. I really do. But it's not grabbing me. (Flawed though it was, I actually think I preferred RoTF - especially with G1 skins). Anyway, I think I'll hit the store on the way home and see if this one appeals more to whatever it is I thought I was looking for. Perhaps it's just the expanded rosters that will please me. Any differences in the two versions in that regard?

11. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    yea I really , really like cliff.his gun works against two types of weakness , and his blades are awesome too.