DS Vs. PSP - Please, keep it civil!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by My03Tundra, Jan 10, 2007.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I just got a PSP, again, after Christmas and I'm loving my "new" PSP. I had one of the highly problematic first ones available, but I sold it to wait for the system's quality to improve.

Boy has it. Sony has listened to the consumer's complaints with the dead pixels and other build quality issues. Although my LCD has a dead pixel, it is only visible on solid dark colored screens and you have to purposefully look for it to notice it. There is no dust under the polycarbonate front panel, and no defects like dents either. Yes, all of those have been actual PSP issues. I don't know what it is with Sony and portable electronics, but I had similar issues with their PDAs (Personal Digital Assistants) when they were making them.

Having both a black PSP, and a black DS Lite (I got mine WAY before the Christmas shortage) I've been playing both quite a bit. I like my DS, don't get me wrong, but the larger single screen of the PSP is the ideal size and aspect ratio for portable games and movies. Sony was smart to put in a small 16:9 display in the PSP. Although the display combined with the UMD drive and analog nub eat battery power quicker then I can finish my food at a Chinese buffet, the overall gaming experience is awesome. Playing Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is almost euphoric, and the graphics in many ways are better then the PS2 version.

Yes, the games. The MAIN reason to have either system. The PSP does have some awesome games like the one previously mentioned along with Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror, LocoRoco (fun and crazy game), Lumines 1 and 2, Ace Combat X, and other notable games. But, for some reason, the DS just has that right balance where the games just are awesome despite "low-res" graphics.

Nintendo's systems have a history of doing one thing, and usually very well, and it is games. Their Game Boy system has sold exceptionally well, and in fact is the world's best selling game system. It has sold over 100 million units in all of the iterations up to the horrid Micro. Nintendo's first party games may not suprise you with their graphics, but they will grab your attention with their attention to the gameplay.

Gameplay is what the DS does so well. Not only do you have the standard controls but the interface of a touch screen. Sure both screens are small compared to the PSP and aren't suitable for movies, but who cares? I've been playing touch oriented games with my PDAs for years (and would love to see some of them on the DS), and the DS has brought that experience and feel exceptionally well to the mainstream gamer. Sony attempted to wow with graphics and "oh, look what I can do" type capabilities, but the PSP doesn't do exceptionally well in any one area other then games.

Even though the overall gaming experience isn't as thorough on the PSP, it has plenty of other multimedia features to back it up without connecting to the new PS3. You can view images on it's large and in charge screen, play movies from the Memory Stick Duo (doing so uses MUCH less battery power) or from UMD (sorry UMD movies fans, but UMD movies are officially dead) and even browse the internet if you like entering websites using a 9 key input method like on a cellphone. Bad, Sony, Bad for not offering other input methods.

One AWESOME feature of the PSP is with the latest firmware is RSS support. With a WiFi connection you can browse RSS channels and download media directly to the memory card. I love this feature and I've been taking advantage of it for movie trailers and other online videos.

In the end, I can best describe how I feel about the two systems using a car related analogy. The DS is like a Honda S2000, while the PSP is like a Dodge Viper. Both cars perform and handle well, but the Viper has to stop more often for gas, while the S2000 keeps on going and performing strong.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

A friend of mine has a PSP that I got to spend some time with. I was actually quite impressed at how nice the hardware is. The only thing I'd really dread about it is all the fussing with firmware revisions.

As you say though, it's all about the games. I find PSP's analog nub just a bit painful to use for very long, and the only games I'd really be interested in buying are the MegaMan titles and Loco Roco. On the other hand, the DS is comfortable for me to use and has too many great games to keep track of.

As far as portable multimedia and homebrew, I'd rather wait for the next version of the GamePark: Large screen, analog D-pad, A/V-out jacks, wireless multiplayer, and most importantly no lockouts or proprietary formats. It keeps getting delayed though :( 

3. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I'm downloading MGS: PO as we speak. I will show it to my resident nintendo fanboy and BLOW HIS MIND.

NOTE: I do not use the term 'nintendo fanboy' lightly. I do not call him that because he owns a DS, I call him that because he claims that the PSP has 'no games' and that the DS has better graphics. Better graphics.

4. flamepanther

That--THAT--is a fanboy.

5. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I love my DS Lite, and Loved the DS (BiCat has one of the Nintendog ones from 2005, and I had a Mario Kart one from then before upgrading). Just too many great games on the DS for me to consider a PSP, heck in the next few months we have FF VI GBA and then the Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for the DS coming out.

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

He's half right..... (I kind of agree with him about the games lol) but no way on the graphics.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    PSP might be a graphics powerhouse but without enough games to use it, it's not much of a game machine. If you use it for it's media abilities, then it's not so bad. But personally I prefer the DS, not only the game selection being much better but the system makes games that were impossible before suddenly possible. Dual screen, built in mic, and of course the touch screen. PSP games are mostly ports and are better played on their original form when battery life isn't an issue, most DS games there's no other way to play them and the right games are a joy to play just from how new the play style is.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Plea for Civility => Cry for Havok

9. flamepanther

Eh. Saying there are "no games" on the PSP--or even no good games--is an obvious untruth. To say that there are not enough good games on the other hand would be a very defensible opinion, as well as one that I pretty much agree with. If the really good PSP games continue to show themselves at the present rate, I will have to consider getting one... in about five years.

10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I am all about the PSP. I'm not too big into video games; I like them, but do not obsess over them. I did want a system I could play games, watch movies, listen to music, and have pictures setup on it. PSP does it all! I've been playing a few games lately, Lego SW 2, Pirates of the Carribean, Tekken, and the graphics are just perfect. I played the DS a few times at TRU and such and I definitely do not like the dual screen option. PSP has my vote.

11. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I got a PSP as a late Christmas present, and I love the thing to death.

I see nothing really wrong with the DS or DS Lite. They've got great games, and if you're ONLY thinking about the games, the DS is awesome. But I'm more a multi-media kind of guy. I wanted something I could toss in the briefcase if I wanted to show a buddy a home movie, or some pictures I've done edits on and I happen to have several friends that don't have the Internet available to them so I needed something portable that didn't feel like a huge weight. I wasn't going to carry my old laptop with me everywhere. I also like the web browser. I do wish Sony would implement a more keyboard like input device for it, but with bookmarks set up it works pretty good. Even has tab support. And you'd be surprised how quickly you can tap in a new address once you get used to it.

But, something I didn't count on when I got the PSP is just HOW DAMN FUN those games are. Tekken DR is a blast. And on that wide screen it really, REALLY draws you in. I'd love to see a Quake like game on it, but haven't picked up any 3D shooters yet, if there are any out there. Lumines II is the most addictive thing I think I've ever played. And if you're into retro games there's at least four packages of them that I'm aware of. Sega Genesis pack, Namco Museum, the one with Pacman and Dig Dug and crap, and the Atari one. Great for old-timers like me.

Another surprise was how enjoyable it is to watch movies or TV shows on that screen. I prop it up on the pillow in bed and watch fifteen to twenty minutes of cartoons on it and it's pretty darn slick.

Being that the last portable gaming device I had was an original Gameboy, I can't believe the amount of bitching I hear about the short battery life on the PSP. I can play either Lumines or Tekken DR for about five hours on a charge. I have yet to use the system for more than five hours in a day, so I'm not sure how much longer it would go. It'd be nice to have a spare battery and charger around, and they're only about thirty bucks, which is less than the cost of a new game. But really, the only way I see myself needing it would be a long car trip where I'm using it exclusively for music. And at that point I've heard people say ten hours is pretty realistic. Shut down the screen and just let it play off the memory stick and it hardly uses any power at all.

The price difference between the two systems is still fairly significant, but the question is what you want a system for. If all you want is games, it's probably a decision of what type of gaming you want to do. If you enjoy the idea of a portable media device that's also good with games, the PSP is a joy. If you just want to rock on games, go for the DS or DS Lite. Frankly, at times the PSP feels more like a miniturized computer than a gaming device. Nothing wrong with that, as long as that's what you want out of it.

I love my PSP, but after getting so heavily into the game side, I'm tempted to pick up a DS Lite too. They both drew me, the PSP won out because of what else it could do. But if I had the money, I'd have probably picked up both at the same time. But, there's always time later for that.

12. flamepanther

Those games don't access the disk as often as some others. Games that read from the disk heavily will drain the battery much faster. Some people will also use the PSP as an MP3 player all day, which leaves less battery time for gaming. So yeah, some people do have problems with the battery life. But if the battery is fine for your purposes, then no worries. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Very nice hardware.

13. Night Flame

I've heard rumors that there's a way to rip an ISO of your UMD games and store them on the memory card as-is and run from there. I wonder if that's something Sony would ever consider making "official." I personally think it would be pretty awesome to just be able to pop in your UMD once, click "save to memory card" and then just go to the gaming menu anytime you wanted to play something. Those discs are sort of a pain to deal with on a regular basis if you swap them out more than once a day.

As for the complaints on firmware updates I've been hearing around, as long as you don't go down the path of homebrew or devhook or whatever else is out there, there aren't really any problems with the firmware update routines that are built in. If you DO go down that path, and there's nothing wrong with it if you do, you should know what you're getting yourself in for. Reading about them it sounds like about the same state of disarray the Linux community was in back in the late nineties. Again, nothing wrong with that, but when you go down the path of "unofficial" on a portable device of any kind you're in for some extra work. Ten years ago, I'd have been all over that sort of stuff. Nowadays I just want to click that little update icon and roll with it. Seems to work fine, and it already does everything I want it to do.

Though I must admit, I got a very odd feeling seeing that bootup screen for Windows 95 on a PSP the other day. Almost the same feeling I had the first time I booted up Linux on my system at home. Though I'm old enough now half of me is saying, "Why would anybody want to do that?" The other half is saying, "That's freakin' awesome!"

14. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Theres not a whole lot of games I want or would play on my DS. The same holds true for the PSP as well, but the PSP has all the other little extras (internet browser, music, video) that at first I didn't much care about but now use on a regular basis.

So I prefer my PSP but not as a game machine. As a portable game system I prefer my GBA.

Edit: Also UMD videos aren't technically dead. Some still get released and Best Buy still has a decent range. I still need to hunt down Family Guy V2 that was recently released. If its anything like V1 (which I'm assuming it is) then it has everything that the DVDs do and is cheaper as well (which is grand since my wife let a coworker borrow my FG DVDs and he was fired and moved before we got them back).

15. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I got a DS the first Christmas they were out. I love my DS a lot, and have a ton of games for it. It's fun to play, it can really play games from 2 systems, and it has a long battery life.

That said, the PSP does have it's draws. The video player, mp3 capabilities, picture viewer, internet browser, some pretty cool games. The problem for me is price. The PSP system itself is way more expensive than I can afford, and also the games are about $20 more expensive than DS games. So for me, it's not about the games or the graphics, it's about the price.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    A big reason the PSP game sales are so low (and thus developers are dropping it) are because people like you download the games rather than buy them. you're contributing to the downfall of the PSP. way to go.

17. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ive got them both and play the DS way more. Granted I only have a small handful of games for the PSP, but alot of titles don't interest me too much. I may have to try out Tekken because I keep hearing good things, same goes for Metal Gear even though the last one I played that I liked was the original NES version.

18. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm going to go download some commercial PSP games now.

That's what makes the PSP so great, the games are free! Yipee!

19. Night Flame

Honestly, this is another reason I didn't want to tread to deep into the homebrew scene. There's a difference between cooking your own and downloading ISOs of official versions just because you can. That's one game I never felt like playing. Not with music, not with movies, and not with software. Homebrew, while I'm sure was founded with the best of intentions, has led to a lot of rampant "game trading" online that just shouldn't happen. I know the genie's out of the bottle when it comes to "FREE DOWNLOADS," but it depresses me to no end every time I think about how much people are shooting themselves in the foot when they participate in it.

20. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I killed the Dreamcast and I'll kill this too. They fucked up and I'm calling them on it.