DS lite or psp?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Team Jetfire, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I have an opportunity to get either a DS or a PSP (for free) and was wondering opinions of the people who have one, the other, or both. I will be getting the Basic system, with no extra features or games, just the batteries cords etc.

thanks!!

TJ

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

DS

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I play my PSP more. But that's me, it also gets used as my MP3 player. I would say look at which one has games that interest you more. DS has great 1st party games and some games that really make good use of the touch screen. PSP games have better graphics and has some strong traditional games.

I will say the DS Transformer game kicks the PSP ones ass though.

You can also put the Transformer movie on you PSP 84 or 07 version...or both. :) 

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I tried a PSP and a DS before I made the decision to get either one.
    I chose DS due to the game selection and I just thought it was a hell of a lot more fun to play.
    At a count, so far there are about 4 PSP games I would want. DS has over 20 I still need to get.

DS has a much better game-swap system. PSP was a pain in the ass to change game with.

I think the touch screen on the DS adds to the fun-factor, as it just makes gameplay that bit more involving. Especially games like 'Drawn to life' (on my 'to buy' list).

I've had my DS for about 2-3 months now and I had my Wii since December.
    DS has had at least 10X the amount of use than the Wii. So its not just me siding with Nintendo. (However, the Wii should overtake DS with Metroid, Mario, SSBB, Mario Kart, Godzilla, Sea Monsters etc coming out over the next few months)

Final Thoughts, go with the DS. But thats just my opinion.

However, if it is either PSP or DS for free. Go with PSP. Its more expensive. That way, you get bored you can sell it, buy a DS and most likely still have a chunk of change.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

For games, most people seem to get more out of the DS. On the other hand, you'd be saving more money by getting a free PSP. If you have any intention of buying the other system later, you might want to go with the PSP. If you're more likely going to stick with whichever of the two you get for free, you should probably take the DS. Just my two cents.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both and I play my PSP a helovalot more. But I'll put it this way. It's all in the types of games you enjoy (especially) now they both have a selection. Don't fall for "the PSP doesn't have any games" gestures. It does. It didn't a year ago, but now, I juggle which ones to buy and when I buy them which ones to play.

What you should go is go to IGN.com or another game site... check out the review or preview section. Go down the list of games that might interest you and see how well they rated or if you would even be interested in them. Make your judgement call on that. Because every game I wanted to play on the DS (Starfox and Zelda) have forced the player to play with the pen, and no matter how much Nin-fanboys tell you that it works, it really doesn't.... flying a jet with a pen, when there is a D-pad or joystick available... Zelda is now a Diablo on PC clone with its control scheme (the biggest heartbreak of my life). Call me old fashion, and I won't even dispute it, but because of this and the lack of titles that I care about, I tend to play my PSP a lot more.... Socom, Ace Combat, Monster Hunter, Ratchet and Clank, Crisis Core, Final Fantasy Tactics, Syphon Filter, Killzone.

On the other side you have Zelda, New Mario Bros (excellent game), Hotel "something", Castlevanias, Probably the best version of the Transformer Movie game.

So it really now comes down to which type of games you like because both have plenty to play. The PSP is without a doubt a stronger system, but the DS is innovative. The PSP can be used to watch very good quality movies and music, and the DS has two screens (which some developers use well, while others don't).

Oh and the DS has an assload of old GBA (great games) to choose from too....edit: but if you're sneaky, you can play those on your PSP too.

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Thanks guys!

I may have to research a little more into this whole thing. Plus my brother has a DS already and I can prob just borrow his...hmm.

Plus my son would likely get some use of it too so I may have to take into account the types of games available.

In all honesty I am leaning to the psp, but the brain age game on the DS looks fun.

Hmmm….

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have both, and I use my DS more often. Also you can get flash cards very cheap for these.

9. Kid Icarus

Kid Icarus Castlevaniac

www.metacritic.com

Works for me.

I don't own a PSP simply because there's not many games out on the system which interest me, save for ports I already own/played to death, or titles revisited with minor upgrades. DS seems to cater toward a "niche" market, with titles that stray from the normal gaming outlets; but on the other hand there's also a ton of shovelware/garbage out there for both handhelds too.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the DS is backwards compatible with the GBA.

-Pit-

(P.S. - I didn't have problems playing Starfox:Command with the stylus.) :p 

10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

iPod!

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

DS. Buy a flash cart.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    DS. and please actually buy your games.

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i'd go for the ds. i couldn't live without my ds. there are loads of great games for it in pretty much any genre you would want, it's great.

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    :lol  I wouldnlt even no where to start to get free ds games...unless I can borrow everyones games from here... :dunce 

15. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If one of your options is "both", why are you even asking this question?

16. McBradders

This is a sensible answer.

17. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

If you're into pet simulators or kiddie film tie-ins then definately get a DS. :) 

18. McBradders

You forgot witch rubbing.

19. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

well PSP has FF Tactics and hopefully Crisis Core so yeah, unless you want just ports and remakes for GBA and DS.

20. megacron

megacron THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!

Ds If You Like Fun Games And WIFI .Psp If You Like Multimedia as in video,images,music