DS Decepticons

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Dirge121, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Couple of quick questions for those that have it.

As many will know, the game still isnt out over here, and wont be for about a little over a week still.
    It gave me time to think about the purchase.
    And come up with some Q's:

1. Is there an actual Free-roam mode, (not just wandering round during a mission)?
    2. Once you scan a new Alt Mode, do you have to find the old on again if you want to change back?
    3. Can you change colour scheme?
    4. Does the system require you to have a brand new name, so nobody on Earth can have the same name. (Which would suck as by the time we get it, 99% of names would be gone).

5. To someone who only recently got a DS and would have this as his second game, would it be recommended? Im not a supah-skills gamer, so even if story mode is short, it will likely take me a good while.

EDIT: The reason I wanted to know is, I'll be going into town, so I will be possibly putting my pre-order down, as it comes with a T-shirt for each version.

Autobots = Autobot shirt with 'Protect'
    Decepticons = Decepticon shirt with 'Destroy'

2. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

1. Is there an actual Free-roam mode, (not just wandering round during a mission)?

yes, you can basically go anywhere you want and do anything in free-roam mode. very similar to gta.

2. Once you scan a new Alt Mode, do you have to find the old on again if you want to change back?

no, the game stores a list of alt-modes, you just need to pause in free-roam mode and you can pick whatever you want.

3. Can you change colour scheme?

nope

4. Does the system require you to have a brand new name, so nobody on Earth can have the same name. (Which would suck as by the time we get it, 99% of names would be gone).

nope, whatever you want

5. To someone who only recently got a DS and would have this as his second game, would it be recommended? Im not a supah-skills gamer, so even if story mode is short, it will likely take me a good while.

it's a decent game, i've been enjoying it.. although after the first week or so the wifi mode gets pretty repetitive and i've mostly switched back to playing pokemon again, although to compare it with pokemon is really unfair because hardly any ds game has as much content as pokemon. it's worth a purchase i'd say. the voice acting is cool, i liked hearing megatron laugh and the script is very g1-style with words like decepticreeps.

3. DX7879

DX7879 Captain of Strawhats

You can change the color of your character in the game. I like the game, but it gets hard at times

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yes you can, in the screen where you preview your robot and vehicle mode there are buttons on the upper corners of the touch screen, touching them changes the primary and secondary colors of the character.

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ah good, I was sold at 'Yes there is free-roam', me-thinks I'll have to go put my pre-order down tomorrow then.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's a pretty good game. I've played more of Autobots, and it seems to be much better than the console versions.

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Right, put my pre-order down yesterday, one question though:

- Allspark Daily Challenge-thingys; Do you have to go to a compatible download station to get them, or can you download them using my wireless connection at home?

Just curious, because the nearest download station to me is about 10 miles away, and I dont have a car, and I cant see the parents willing to drive me there everyday to download a new challenge.

So yeah, thats my dilemna, cus the DS is gonna be losing major points with me if I can only use the wi-fi bits at a download station...

8. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I think you can use Wifi

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Okay, five days to go, and more questions too!

1. I've heard there are about 37 Alt modes your character can take including tanks, cars, copters and buses, can anyone provide me a list of them all?

2. I've seen people using Brawl/Blackout/Barricade/Screamer/Megs in a Free roam style mode, can this be done without using cheat systems?

3. With Megatron, Screamer, Blackout and your character (if wearing jet/chopper mode), how does the flying handle?

4. From the start screen, can you choose 'Free roam' or 'Story' modes? Or is it, roam until you collect a mission beacon thing? If so, do you have a constant 'Get to the mission area' message (like in the PS2/3/X-BOX/WII/PC etc versions)?

5. I've also seen videos of people playing as Screamer in a G1 colour scheme, is this possible without a cheat system?

Many thanks

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

sweet, and here i was using the default colors all the time.

11. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

1. I've heard there are about 37 Alt modes your character can take including tanks, cars, copters and buses, can anyone provide me a list of them all?

I'm just pulling this list from GameFAQs. There's a FAQ there with more information about where to find each vehicle.

Beater
    Sportster
    SUV
    Armored Truck
    Chopper
    Notchback
    Import
    Attack Copter
    Peace Van
    Pickup
    Utility
    Pickup Car
    Moving Truck
    School Bus
    Love Cruiser
    Stunt Car
    Flame Truck
    Ice Cream Truck
    Recon Chopper
    Lightning Rider
    Death Truck
    Tricked Out Car
    Funky Bus
    Racer
    Contruction
    Hot Rodder
    Stealth Chopper
    Safari Truck
    SWAT Van
    News Copter
    Off-Roader
    Raider
    Speedster
    Police Copter
    Scout
    Prison Bus
    G1 Starscream

Basically, a bunch of different cars and trucks, with a handful of choppers thrown in. No tanks, unfortunately. Four of the cars can only be obtained through Wi-Fi battles, and several others are hidden in out-of-the-way locations throughout the game.

It's worth noting that all but five of the vehicles are identical to those found in the Autobot version.

2. I've seen people using Brawl/Blackout/Barricade/Screamer/Megs in a Free roam style mode, can this be done without using cheat systems?

Once you complete the story mode, you can free roam in any of the game's areas with any of the playable characters. I.e., your default character and the five you listed.

3. With Megatron, Screamer, Blackout and your character (if wearing jet/chopper mode), how does the flying handle?

Megs and Starscream handle pretty much the same. You use the D-pad to steer, the face buttons to control speed and weapons, and the shoulder buttons for strafing and afterburners. It's not a top-notch flight simulator or anything, but it generally works pretty well. Your default character's G1 Starscream option handles the same as well.

Blackout is controlled just like all your character's chopper modes. The D-pad is used for forward-backward movement and turning. The face buttons control altitude and weapons, while the shoulder buttons are used for strafing. It was a little tricky at first, but it works pretty well once you get used to it.

4. From the start screen, can you choose 'Free roam' or 'Story' modes? Or is it, roam until you collect a mission beacon thing? If so, do you have a constant 'Get to the mission area' message (like in the PS2/3/X-BOX/WII/PC etc versions)?

You're generally in a free-roam mode until you enter a story or challenge mission. I think I remember some instances early on when you're prompted to get to the next story mission, but that might be either part of the early tutorials or just confusion on my part. You're generally free to go do whatever you want without any major hassles.

Once you complete a mission, you return to free-roam mode. Story missions are strictly linear, with a new mission marker appearing after you complete the previous one. New challenge missions open up as you complete other story and challenge missions.

5. I've also seen videos of people playing as Screamer in a G1 colour scheme, is this possible without a cheat system?

G1 Starscream is one of your vehicle alt mode options for your create-a-bot. It's just movie Starscream with a different color scheme. In the US, it's available from DS download stations at Target stores. Outside the US, it's supposed to be available through Wi-Fi tokens. As far as I know though, no one has gotten enough yet to confirm this or find out how many tokens you need. It's been said that once the Target promotion is over, US players may be able to get it via Wi-Fi as well. It's still up in the air exactly how to get it without a cheat device if you can't get it from a US Target store.

FYI regarding your earlier questions, while the game isn't very long, it is pretty difficult in places. It will be moreso if you focus on trying to blow through the story missions. It's a good idea to do challenge missions and just cause a lot of destruction in general to gain some levels as you go along. The hardest missions are the ones where you control movie characters for boss fights, though. They do not get stronger as your character levels. Some of those fights can get pretty frustrating.

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Whoah, thanks a lot, Im so psyched for the release day now.
    Only 3 more days!

13. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Okay, 2 days to go, and my final question.
    I've heard about an alt mode that makes your robot look like Shockwave (but wrong colours), this true?
    If so:
    - What is it?
    - Can it be obtained without wi-fi tokens etc.

Original post V

14. Teratron

Teratron Kaiser Dragon

That's sorta true. The console TF movie game developers designed a movie Shockwave for a boss fight in the game. He has a helicopter for his alt-mode. He's sorta neat, and features his well-known head and gun arm, but doesn't completely capture the movie design philosophy. E.g., he has his cockpit whole and intact for his chest.

For the DS game, this model was used for several of the helicopter alt modes. You normally see your bot from behind, and details aren't always very clear on the little DS screen, so it's not as cool as it might sound. If you just took a random DS game screen cap and compared with G1 Shockwave, you'd probably never believe they have anything in common.

15. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Aww Hexagonal Nuts, oh well.
    *11 hours till I go to pick up my pre-order*