Customs: Drybrushing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jeremy.B, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After reading and seeing pics of this technique, I tried it myself on my movie figs, and I tell you, it looks GREAT! An easy, simple thing to do to really make your plastic look metallic, and more realistic. I will post pics once I finish my very first Kitbash.

Now, I have seen some varying opinions on drybrushing, I will say this: I do not count it as kitbashing. Custom, yeah maybe, but I cannot honestly sit her and say the five minutes I spent on Barricade, 08 BB, Voyager Megs, and Ironhide is truly kitbashing. I love the technique, and think everyone should do it to add some realism if they want, but it is not KB, and to see some folks drybrush a toy and put it on ebay for a gross profit is, well, ridiculous. I am not talking about any particular person on this board, but I take the approach that I believe Jin said - it is a great technique and adds a fantastic finishing touch to a KB.

Just my opinion :thumb 

2. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Why would painting ever be kitbashing? Kitbashing is a term used to describe mixing and modifying the parts of at least two model kits together to make something new.

3. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Umm, I was referring to another post where there was a discussion about it....

"mixing and modifying the parts of at least two model kits together to make something new"

That is incorrect, BTW, because you can Kitbash a TF without using another toy or model kit...using sculpting agents or modifying it in some other way.....

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, SD77 was just reffering to another discussion....and you're right SD, it's not bashing....its customizing, or to a lesser extent, painting.

And I dont think NIDARAM12 actually meant two model kits, I understood what was said, and that is true also, as is your last statement about sculpting and modifying.....that is bashing.

I consider a straight repaint a custom, but if you add/remove or change anything physical about the tf, then you're stepping into the world of bashing...imo

Enough chit-chat....come on with the pics!! :D 

5. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Kitbashing, or bashing in general, usually involves taking parts from one or more kits and using them to modify one of the existing kits, or using them to make a new design altogether. Before posting this i double checked and theres even a Wiki on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitbashing

Applied to Transformers, taking Classic Prime's legs and putting them on Classic's Megatron is a bash, or kitbash. Head swaps are bashes.

However, sculpting onto a toy, or modifying the parts by cutting and rearranging, is technically just that. Modifying and rebuilding.

But anymore, all of these things fall into the general category of "customizing," and kitbashing can be used depending on how bad you have you chop and cut up the original piece before rebuilding.

Anyways, a fundamental of classic kitbashing is adding external things from other sources, like another TF, model kit, etc. Not just moving parts around on the same toy.

Its all just semantics though :thumb 

6. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Yeah, uh, I just want to see cool new shit. :D 

So like the man said - come on with the pics!!

7. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    I'll get them up later tonight...after the Bama game...hint: My first kitbash will be...... "Roll Tide Ratchet"...white KO hound, prowl head (thanks SQ!) some beginner's painting and decals....

8. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    I gotcha man! Anyway, my point was that someone was on here the other day and posting an EBAY auction, that was a barricade (I think) that was just drybrushed.

Oh well, I hope you guys are not too hard on my customs thus far. I think with my Ratchet I took the damage a little too far, but we will see...

9. plowking

News Credits:
    *waits for pics*

:D 

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Hell yeah to that. I'm as worried about the semantics of this hobby as I am about my footstink. I'd rather 'bash and like the way it comes out. :) 

11. Monkey-Hands

Monkey-Hands Turntablist

Where can I find some kind of "Drybrsuhing" guide??

12. Icetron

Icetron Well-Known Member

13. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
  14. plowking

News Credits:
    The game has to be over by now SD77.....

where are my pics?!......??

*the suspense is killing me*

15. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    I don't get it. Just using markers and sanding isn't so much a method, is it? I thought that's what most people did to their gundams anyways?

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but, it just, what am I missing?

16. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:

Well, its a new approach to painting without painting in the traditional method of brushes and sprays. Its sanding the plastic to give it a matte texture instead of painting it. Then its using markers over that to color and shade it.

Its very different from the usual airbrushing. I just really love the effect

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Losing my 'Kitbashing'

It's great to see you venturing into the world of "customizing." :)  I think most have aptly responded to your original concern (and I'd mostly agree with Ops_was_a_truck). I think we need to be as accurate as we can, though. I think a lot of persons write of a message board as being insignificant and treat it as a chatroom. I'll use l33t and the like often, but mainly I want to make sure my ideas are communicated in an understandable, accurate fashion.

ebay is a bit of a different story. Pictures pretty much tell all; I think that when people are seeing these auctions, though, they pretty much know what they're getting. That being said, they have the freedom to get into a [ludicrous] bid war if they so choose ("Oh no, I've said too much/I haven't said enough"). Though I'd say that ebay auctions should be as accurate (even more so) as well.

All of this does have implications on our forums and community, sure. I think message boards are/should be as much about learning and sharing as it is/should be about discussion as well. For this reason (and others), this is why we should strive to be as accurate as we can, whether that's semantics, citations, or what have you. :) 

("But that was just a dream/That was just a dream")

Glad to help, buddy :) 

18. plowking

News Credits:
    SunnyDay....am I gonna have to come to the big 'Bama to see this custom or what?!......

I needs my fix!!

:D 

19. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    LOL and surprise! I discovered this method years ago when I did my first Gundam models and didn't like to paint over the molded-in-plastic color. I weathered the plastic so it looked airbrushed to an extent, blacklined, used 600 grit sandpaper to blend the matte finish down, even topcoated them just like the steps showed. However I was called a cheater and tho they looked good, nobody would let me enter them in the model contests we had running at the hobby shop because I didn't fully paint them. Wow, how things have changed... they must be running out of techniques?

20. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    pwned by jin.

so one guy has an anti-drybrushing brigade going on, yet supports a totally different 'trick' to bringing out details.

I dont get it. lol