Customs: Dry brushing vs. standard painting

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jericho, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been looking at a bunch of tutorials and figured I'd try it on this Cliffjumper repaint. So, I did it and eh, I'm not honestly seeing the benefit vs. standard paint.

This is the final product of one such tutorial, other than the wings with some fade lines I don't see why one wouldn't just paint it silver straight up. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong???

[​IMG]

2. Hakka

Hakka Well-Known Member

Is that pic taken with a flash? Looks very shiny.

Here's a pic of my barricade, its drybrushed silver over matt black, just one shade of silver.

[​IMG]

If you put too much on or have your paint thinned too much it will look like normal painting.

The best way is to use a few shades of silver, starting with the darker one. I've just done this on a Skywarp but dont have any pics. It really highlights the edges and details.

Hakka.

Attached Files:

3. Jericho

News Credits:
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong, do I want to cover the whole figure then and perhaps I should use the wide brush over the thinner one?

I did it in spots and it actually looks like scuff marks, I kind of like my mess up :)  I'm using gun metal as the figure base and gray primer for the brush.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The benefit of dry brushing as opposed to "standard painting" is simply to provide weathering to a figure.

In the example you provided, the artist wanted to have the silver still look very weathered as opposed to only having a silver paint scheme on the figure. Also, dry brushing can give the illusion of texture to metal, even if most of the area is covered.

5. Jericho

News Credits:
    Okay here's my attempt at it. I have a flash and non-flash version for ya. I actually like this even though I'm sure I did it wrong. It looks like wear and tear and that is okay with me.

Attached Files:

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

The left one looks right. That's the idea behind drybrushing. Wear and tear, without actual wear and tear.

7. Jericho

News Credits:
    Oh, okay thanks. I saw that one tutorial with Megatron and then I seem to recall Jin's painting the whole figure using this method and I was getting confused. On to the next leg I guess!