Droid Does

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rhinox, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, I've been getting messages for 2 months from Verizon about how I'm now due for my 2 year upgrade.
    Having lusted over my friend's iPhone for a year now, even though I can't stand Apple, I've been wanting something, if not exactly the same, similar. And so, in talking with said friend, the Droid came up.

Long story short, I was waiting at my Verizon store when they opened today and upgraded myself into a Droid. Also got my wife an Alias 2 while I was there.

Has anyone else picked this up yet? What do you all think?
    Because I've been at work, I've not had too much chance to play around with it yet, but I do have all weekend dedicated to figuring it all out. Thus far, though, it's looking solid through and through. Browsing is easy, the qwerty keyboard makes it easy to text, and the apps store looks full of win.

I'll be posting more of what I think about it as I take the time to delve in and see everything it can do.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm interested in hearing what people think of it as well. Probably going to trade my LG Voyager for it, even though I was hoping Verizon would get the iPhone.

3. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    heh. My friend with the iPhone is actually looking to sell his so he and his wife can make the switch to Verizon (who has vastly superior coverage in Kansas) and pick up a Droid.

Still figuring things out, still in love.

4. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

I'm also up for upgrade myself at Sprint, and I'm eyeing HTC Hero (another Droid phone). But the high monthly rate is putting me off right now. I do know that I need to replace my 3-year-old phone, and fast.

5. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    I've had Android for about a year now and I love it. I assume the new Droid phone is pretty nice. A friend just bought one.

6. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

I still don't know why there is a dpad by the slide out keyboard. Can't you just touch where you want on the screen

7. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    games perhaps?

Still loving it. DLed some apps, everything works great. Really excellent, solid phone.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Just got a BB Storm a few weeks ago, so I'll be sticking with it for a couple years

9. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Guy at work got one yesterday, and I got to play around with it just a little bit and I'd have to say that I was pretty impressed. He was going to do the same as OP and set aside all weekend to play around with it. I'll find out what he really thinks of it on Monday (as I've been wanting an iPhone forever, but have been thinking of moving away from ATT as well) and make my decision from there!

10. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, I've DLed some apps, farted around with it and so far it's still great. Everything's working like it's supposed to, no problems at all.

11. bulletthebluesky

That's good to hear, after a whole day of use...:dunce 
    I would hope nothing was going wrong. lol

12. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm looking to get an android phone down the road. I've played with both the Droid and Eris and impressed with both. Though I like the Eris a little better because of the design and price. However, I wasn't too thrilled that it only ran on android 1.6. I'm hoping it will upgrade to 2.0 soon.
    I've heard their is a 3rd android phone coming to Verizon by years end. I'm waiting to see what that one is all about.

13. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was really pissed when I saw the Droid. I had just upgraded in August, so I'm stuck with the phone I have. They really should have an upgrade plan for when they launch this types of highly anticipated phones. As it is, I'd have bought a Droid day 1 if I had known in August that they were coming.

14. bulletthebluesky

That's what happened to me with my current phone and the iPhone.
    Don't remember exactly why I chose my phone over the iPhone, but I did... and about a month later, the iPhone 3g came out, and I'm pretty sure they cut the price in half or something. Like I said, I don't remember exactly, it was a long time ago, but I was sooooo pissed!

15. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am sick of my phone (Sprint Rumor if you want to know) and need a change. I've been eyeing iPhone for a long time but given the shoddy coverage and high price tag I've been stalling. With the Droid phone though I can stay with Sprint or sign up with Verizon and still get that phone.

16. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    As a happy G1 owner since day 1, I welcome you all to the world of Android.

17. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's been a few days. I've tied my emails into the phone as well as my facebook (skipping myspace since I only use it during campaign season) and everything works great.

something really kewl, when you put facebook on, it'll update your phone contacts so when they call or you call, their facebook picture will show up on the phone as you talk automatically.

18. Rhinox

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's been a few days. I've tied my emails into the phone as well as my facebook (skipping myspace since I only use it during campaign season) and everything works great.

something really kewl, when you put facebook on, it'll update your phone contacts so when they call or you call, their facebook picture will show up on the phone as you talk automatically.

19. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My mother has went through 4 BB phones (Pearls, i think) and always has the same glitches with them. won't sync to her PC, iffy operation (won't receive calls, just automatically dumps them to voice mail, etc) but Altell won't let her exchange it for a different brand phone (she doesn't want a BB anymore.)

She's stuck with her phone for almost 2 years. man she is pissed.
    so i feel yer pain, fellas.
    buyer's remorse stings the most at the Celly Store.

20. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

That is very odd, i've never had ANY of those problems with my BB pearl.