Driving In the Snow

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mineraljane, Dec 19, 2008.

1. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    It's snowing again right now in Portland, OR. In memory of last year's impressive display of driving by Portland drivers in inclement weather, a (much played and passed around) video:

YouTube - Portland drivers in the snow

Don't you just love momentum?

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    You guys are noobs when it comes to dirving in the snow! Whats the temp like down in portland?

3. mineraljane

News Credits:
    It's around 30 degrees right now. When it snowed for the first time last week, all of the highways were each a nightmare. On the news, I saw this one guy who was puzzled as to why he crashed. He described spinning around in his car and said, "I don't know why I crashed; I have a 4WD car!"

Apparently to most here, they go by extremes. When in trouble (like losing traction), they either push down the gas completely or the brakes. One of those, but they definitely make sure the pedal is pushed to the floor.

4. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    Dear god thats warm weather still! Yesterday it was around -42c. We have people like that here, mostly idiots in trucks who think they are unstoppable and can speed all over the place...until a few km down the road you see them flipped in the ditch

5. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Haha. Yeah, it's like the little ladies you see who drive these huge SUVs because they like "seeing over traffic" when on the road. My mom is one of these and it's really difficult to sit in the passenger seat because she is so aggressive because of the car she drives.

Where are you for that temperature? I moved to Portland from Boston so this is extremely mild weather in my mind. I mean, I remember days in Boston where the weatherman would instruct you to not go outside for too long without a covered face. (I'm sure it is like that where you are.) I certainly don't miss that and like being able to go outside with a coat and maybe some fingerless gloves.

6. cobra zartan

News Credits:
    Im in alberta canada, gonna be like this for another four months. My moms just like that but shes afraid and drives like an 80yr old woman...in a big truck. My jeans were frozen stiff after being outside for 10 minutes sucks even worse when your eyelashses freeze together and you can't open your eyese :D .

7. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

That video was crazy. The drivers in St. Louis suck enough on days when we have good weather, so I hate having to go out when it snows. Sadly, it looks like this might be a long, rough, winter.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

why dont you think i really haven't gone out...

but i might risk it tomorrow as i'm starting to get cabin fever here...plus i still need to go X-Mas shopping

as for the vid...wasn't that mostly hilly roads...

9. mineraljane

News Credits:
    @cobrazartan: That's a completely different world than here! I cannot imagine frozen jeans.

The video was around SW 20th and Salmon.

I noticed after I posted that it cut out right when the fire truck arrived. That was really too bad as multiple cars continued to crash into the fire truck as it was attempting to prevent people from entering these roads.

Let's see if you can top it this year, Portland!

10. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have been driving just fine in the snow this week with absolutely no tire chains. I drive a Subaru and learned how to drive on snow and ice while living in Colorado for 6.5 years before moving to Oregon in 2004. I pretty much slow down, do not make any quick moves/decisions, or slam my brakes. In terms of our snow in Portland, it has not ended, yet.

here is a recent video in Portland that is a tad funny. Linky

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I really hate when people say stuff like this. Edmonton and Calgary are, for the most part, flat. Not so here. All of Western Washington, and down through the Willamette Valley (where Portland is) is nothing but hills and valleys either carved through by glaciers or built up through tectonics.

I'm from Seattle, and it's hell here when it snows. Is the problem the snow? Of course not. The problem is that we get maritime winds that turn an inch of snow to a sheet of ice real quick, and that the area is nothing but a series of hills and valleys. Seattle alone, every little subdivision of Seattle is determined by such: First Hill, Capitol Hill, Beacon Hill, Ranier Valley, etc. We don't have long, straight, flat roads to drive on. Especially not the freeways and highways.

Temperature is an important factor here too. We rarely, if ever, get into the negatives here. Air temperature sits right around freezing when the humidity does get high enough to precipitate. So it falls, melts, freezes, then more snow sticks on top of it. You don't have to worry about that in the middle of the continent, when it's cold, it's too damn cold for water to do anything else but freeze. You get cold air from Canada and whatever comes west from off the Rockies. You don't get the kind of air we get.

12. mineraljane

News Credits:
    @Cascadia

That video is hilarious.

The hills in Seattle are definitely daunting. About a week after I learned to operate a manual transmission, I decided to drive up to Seattle to get my passport. Not the most enjoyable trip I've taken, that's for sure.

13. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I absolutely agree...if it rains right now with the temperatures that we currently have in the Pacific Northwest....you could get freezing rain and/or frozen water on the roads which turns into solid ice and that spells trouble. The Youtube link is an excellent example of what could happen.

@mineraljane--I am glad that you liked it. I found that a few days ago and could not stop laughing.

14. QmTablit

You could set anything to Yakity Sax and it'll be comedy.

My favorite parts are the people who just saw someone fail on the hill and apparently thought "wuss, my Ford Focus can take this."

15. OmegaScourge

that second clip was hilarious...either the accidents were cut out or there really wasnt any...

seems like today is just as bad as yesterday...oh well, i need to really get out...see you all in a few...

16. OmegaScourge

ok, so the weather isnt that great at the moment (snowing)...i guess i wont be going out (again)...hopefully it'll stop snowing so the roads can get a little better...

this is worse than that really bad storm we got a few years ago. supposedly it'll be this way til X-Mas and maybe a few days after. :( 

17. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

That is too funny. I hope no one got hurt too bad.

18. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish I can help you out because I am in Beaverton. But I heard that is it suppose to get worse this afternoon, tonight or tomorrow.

19. QmTablit

It's been pretty clear up here in Seattle, but that's not supposed to last the weekend.

This still beats that wind storm a couple years ago. That sucked. And I had to drive every day of that.

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Looks like somebody already posted the video I was going to link. It wouldn't load for me, so I can't be sure, but I'm guiessing it was this one

I've always loved the way the idot in the first clip just keeps hitting the gas, causeing himself to bounce off even more cars. :rolleyes: