Drill Bot a total waste of expensive CGI!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shandemia, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Shandemia

Shandemia Well-Known Member

i agree with many of the posts that have been made through these threads and definitely agree 100% that the movie could have done without that driller tentacle thing that was put in there as Shocky's pet just for eye candy value costing the production tons of money in man hours of CGI development instead of investing that cash into characterization of other main villains pertaining to the story.

The damage on that toppling building could have been done by Shockwave himself and perhaps that would have showed his capabilities of huge power and bad ass self. And at the same time not taking anything away from the main baddie Sentinel for the climactic scene of the movie. If i were the director of this film, i would have Shockwave cause major havoc in that city of Chicago with that huge cannon of his and have the Wreckers duke it out big time with Shockwave instead of just entertaining him with petty bullets which he dusted off like annoying mosquitoes around him. This would have given the Wreckers a more respectable screen time other than just being shown as mere mechanics and tearing apart a weak decepticon drone.

If you want to bring Prime in at the end to rip him apart with his nuckles, fine, but at least have Shocky cause major damage around first. And have it like the Autobots can't deal with him and Prime to come in like Superman and save the day as usual. Such a waste on such a powerful villain?, i mean WTF man???? what were you thinking???

One particular beef that iv'e had with the producers of this trilogy is that they try to keep re-inventing the wheel and coming out with new characters having such a huge more than 25 year old franchise of characters to choose from. Why try to fix something that isn't broken?
    You have an amazing lineup to choose from, why waste millions of dollars in development of introducing somebody new just to end up having hick ups at the end making clones of characters and not managing to tie everything properly together at the end.

Is anyone else on the same page with me?, please comment or nerd rage.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I'm fed up with nerd rage. I think I need to quit this hobby.

3. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I'm with u they coulda saved the money on Driller and had Shockwave kill Mudflap or do more. Maybe they coulda had small appearances by other fan known bots just so every con wasn't a drone.

4. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    And you just summed up on how i feel about that flaw in the movie. Shockwave was wasted. After reading the Rising Storm comic i was really expecting Shockwave to be given this really awesome badass role as a huge powerful decepticon assassin that kills everything he sees. I did not get that.

And the driller, was not needed at all. Shockwave was standing right next to the building. he could have kept shooting at it until it toppled over since the decepticon fighters did their part on that!

and Shockwave's "laser gun", ANOTHER disappointment! when i saw no laser but just missles come out of that cannon, i let out the biggest F bomb on the planet! i remember reading articles everywhere on the internet saying shockwave had a Laser gun. not a rocket-launcher cannon.

Que could have had way more screen time, as well as Mirage. the editing could have been better overall.

5. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

Well I would say the posts to this point have just about summed it up here. I will add that I felt the drilled seemed to be used as a total plot crutch. Aside from Sentinel and Laserbeak it seemed to be the most.. competent Decepticon in the whole film, yeah sure some of the cons had a few sparkles of worth, Hell Soundwave did a fantastic job of scaring Carly, Watchbot did fantastic work with Sam.. and uhh.. well anyway.. You know I guess it is just a side-effect of what happens when you drag the robots powerlevels down so far.. like taking SS4 Goku and turning him into Mr. Satan. It just makes things kinda messy and brings in the need for the before mentioned crutches.

As for Shockwaves weapon (which probably should actually be a plasma cannon) I don't think anyone except Megatron fired a non-projectile hand weapon once. (Blackouts emp blast does not count as a hand weapon) Be the missiles or giant shells, the same thing they did with BSG. I don't know off hand what the issue is with energy weapons in modern cinema and tv, why so many people don't want to use them, if is a cost, sound, or pacing issue. It just seems kinda forced to just switch things like that, but I guess someone thought they had a good reason.

Just to be clear, I am not a movie hater, I did enjoy it and watched it twice so far, Objective criticism is not "hate"

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

driller was badass...

7. al91176

al91176 Decepticon

I thought the dweller was pretty cool a actually, even if just eye candy. They should have just thrown in the already made footage of Shockwave from the BK commercial.

8. changepas39

changepas39 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too....

9. RisingPhoenix86

RisingPhoenix86 One of Soundwaves minions

News Credits:
    I'm with you this is ridiculous. Everyone who I know who has seen the movie that is NOT a Transformers die hard fan but enjoys the movies or shows. They LOVED it. They all raved how good it was and how the bots and cons where so life like and looked real not cgi'ish at all.

Back on topic. I feel he had a good place in the story as a pet/vehical. Also without the Driller they would of shot out the pillar with the rocket. If Shockwave didn't call the driller in the building would of been standing still. Also that scene was pretty bad ass to top it off.

10. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

again the need of the many (movie watching audiences) outweighs the needs of the few (TF fans)

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The Driller was aweosme. Tell me the scene of him devouring the building was not epic.

You can't, because you'd be lying.

12. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    your right, that was some really cool CGI.

13. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

Not gonna read that, its still too early over here, but judging from the title alone: Thank You. Im glad someones keepin it real, now that its been a couple weeks.....

They had to throw in their World Domination theme, what better way than to rub our faces in the Trade Towers. "You gotta be on the side of progress" or whatever he said.

14. jjk1120

jjk1120 Decepticon Saboteur

Meh. I really didn't like it. In fact it was really the ONLY thing I didn't like about DOTM. I think the time, money, and everything else could have been better used. I thought the tower scene was okay, and nothing more. Far too long, in my opinion.

15. jon5000

jon5000 Tea-Drinker

I thought as a set piece it worked quite well, but personally I'd have rather had a massive Transformer akin to Devastator in ROTF. I think having a gigantic 'bot knockin down a building would have been cooler, personally.

It was cool though. One of the better things the film had to offer.

16. tpainzbro

tpainzbro Well-Known Member

Yeah a total waste of time and character. Not like it wasn't part of re best 3D sequence in the movie. SMH haterz.

17. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

I thought the title of the film was Transformers (DOTM). Not Non Transforming Huge Drilling Thing. It was a waste of time, money and CGI. Sure, it looked spectacular, but i'm left thinking of one of the first scenes in All Hail Megatron, when he levels a building with one colossal shot.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    DOTM = Driller Of Total Mayhem

I enjoyed the movie for the most part (saw it twice so far), but do agree that all the expenses & time that went into making the driller probably could have better utilized for some other new characters or went into making Shockwave a far more menacing threat. I liked the insane detail of the driller, but if given the choice, I would have definitely axed it if it meant seeing Shockwave level some buildings on his own and being the non-Sentinel "holy shit?!?!" villain that the Autobots had to collectively deal with.

19. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Driller lasted a lot longer than devy so I am satisfied with it.

20. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Because Michael Bay doesn't give a shit about TF fans, happy?