Drift vs Wheeljack~Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Mar 22, 2012.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do people still hate Drift? Is that still a thing? If not ignore this thread.

So I like both these characters. In fact I don't think I dislike any of the robots in these robot shows of ours. But I was re-watching TF Prime. And WheelJack kicks ass....like really...got swords, rough past, prefect aim ("One shot"), cool voice, the whole drifter in space thing is cool.

So why is it i didn't hear anyone complain about WheelJack but the moaning about Drift was endless?
    People were complaining about Drift being a Many-Sue (or what ever the term is. "A man with no fault and is only 'cool'") yet the only negative thing that happened to WheelJack was he got caught...which was to only lead to show how awesome he was as he broke himself out. And the only thing I think that was said was "Well...he's not G1...but he can sure as hell stay"

Explain the difference to me?

(heh...Explain the "drift~rence" to me?)

Attached Files:

2. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Wheeljack hasn't had enough screen time for people to judge him as a Mary Sue or not

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Because you aren't listening. Some people are complaining, although I will agree with you that it doesn't seem like as many as you would think from the Drift hate.

No difference. I dislike and am bored by both equally.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I don't like Wheeljack at all. He's worse than Drift because on top of all that tired tripe that is his character, he's bullshit fan service.

Drift is just annoying because he has an annoying personality. Wheeljack is bad because he has no personality. His character didn't need to exist. He's the most tired cliche of action media. The "badass loner with a troubled past and nothing to loose. Also he has swords, but not because they symoblise any unique aspect of his personality, he just has swords because swords are cool."

Of course he has. His entire episode was all characters going "Wheeljack's so cool, he's so awesome, look how awesome he is!" That's exactly what a Mary Sue is. We never got any hint of an interesting character in his first episode, which is not a good thing. Now if he does have a personality later it's going to seem inconsistent and come off as a retcon rather than intention.

5. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

What's extremely ironic is that Depthcharge had the same mold "badass loner with a troubled past and nothing to lose," yet for the most part fans like him. I guess it's because they took the time to explain his deal and gave him an actual personality.

Back to Wheeljack, my big problem with him is that he seemed like he was trying too hard in "Con Job." It's like the writers are desperate to convince us that he's a badass, yet while he is impressive, it just doesn't sit well. I think it was due to his demeanor, that cocky "if you're trying to ruin my day, you'll have to try harder" line most of all. I prefer badasses who don't need to make a display of it and who don't rub it in your face. The kind of badass I'm talking about is normal in demeanor because he or she doesn't feel the need to make any displays.

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Indeed. Depthcharge is the trope done right, with a convincing and engaging personality and a solid storyline. Plus, it added unpredictability to it by having Depthcharge actually succeed in his revenge and die as a result. And they established this right away as his only motivation. Wheeljack has no motivation, and from what I can tell neither does Drift, anymore at least. (Though his current suckup nature to Rodimus kind of makes me giggle)

7. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes... i can agree with that.
    My favorite 'bad-ass' scene of all TV is Dinobot's last stand. He just kept going.
    Does Dinobot count? He's motive are more or less the same as Depthcharge. Had someone wrong him. Said "Ill get you for this" and revenge was his main propose.
    what do you mean no motivation? "None" "Or not well done" Because Drift had a miniseries, where's he was shown to lesson about caring for other means something. (or something alone those lines)

8. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Uh, that's not what Dinobot was about at all. His hatred for Megatron started him, but it wasn't the point of his character. The point of his character was apon realising Megatron hadn't done him wrong (though he still could not be loyal to someone as dishonourable as Megatron) and had in fact brought them to Earth as planned, and that it was just incredibly different back then. Which then had him question his fate, since if the future was set in stone (the future Earth didn't have a second moon so obviously they were meant to blow it up) then he could not live life knowing he had no control over his demise. Which was not to be the case, yet as it turned out his honour meant sacrificing himself to maintain the "proper" future anyway, as well as just being the right thing to do.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Let's wait and see on this one.

Never Read the IDW Comics Drift is in and Wheeljack hasn't been fleshed out yet.

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This. We only have Wheeljack in one freaking episode people so give the show time to flesh him out more all right?

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    yeah gaiz. wheeljack could be the most fleshed out example of this boring stereotype if you just give him a chance.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People hate Drift because he wasnt aboard the Season 1 Autobot ark. That's it. If we had a character called Drift in g1 that was also a "ninja badass" nobody would've said a single word.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    roll eyes.

FYI, even as a G1 fan, there are a TON of season 1 & 2 characters I give less than 1/2 a shit about. Like Ironhide. Sorry, but I never cared about him. Drift would have been another one of those.

I know it can be hard to accept when people don't like something you think is great, but sometimes the answer is no more complicated than that Drift is a tired cliche.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My only first hand experience with Drift is the More than Meets the Eye ongoing comic. I like him there because he's someone I would hate to be around. It's a unique character to me.

Wheeljack is a bad ass and I'm okay with it. Yeah I would have liked him to have an obvious tech side but I'm satisfied with what I got.

15. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I don't like Drift at all, but even I can see he had more purpose and character than a shitload of fan favorites like Skywarp, Lambo twins, constructicons, the list goes on.

If being cliche was the problem then 90% of TF characters would be hated like he was, just look at G1 Wheeljack, shitty generic mad scientist played up for laughs, yet on his way to the hall of fame.

GRIMLOCK is the epitome of generic wolverine-esque badass and just got in the hall of fame for being a fan favorite.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The changes to Wheeljack honestly make no difference to me, because as far as it affects me, the new Wheeljack and the G1 Wheeljack are exactly the same: a really cool toy of a boring character whose personality I don't care for.

Both have one of my favorite car modes of their respective lines. And the TFP version has a great transformation. But personality-wise, both of them: ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz...

In the comic version, maybe. But guess what? I don't like the comic version. He's boring as well. Yet another respect in which the comic fell way short of the cartoon.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    YES.

I love Drift compared to Grimlock.

18. shroobmaster

News Credits:
    I'm not talking about what you think about Wheeljack or Grimlock I'm just saying that this franchise has a shitload of bad stereotypes and the only reason Drift gets flack like that is because he wasn't one since 1980 because he DID get more development than a bunch of them.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Right in this thread, in the very posts you are talking about, we can see people (and not just me) criticizing other characters who WERE part of the original cast, so no, your argument falls flat.

20. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

I think Prime Bumblebee has more personality than Wheeljack. He's also not the cliche Autobot badass with AWSUM SORDZ AND HE IZ AWSUM AND EVERBODY LUVZ HIM AND HE'S AWSUM