Drift TPB coming? According to Amazon it is

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Sideswipe80, Mar 7, 2010.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another interesting thought occured to me...

Obviously since there is going to be a Drift toy this autumn, Hasbro is most likely behind this TPB. They definetly do NOT want a toy out on the shelves whom kids will look at and say "who the heck is this guy?" - bet that the TPB will arrive around the same time as the toy.

Which, again, raises another question - will we see a Straxus... erm, "Darkmount" TPB or Spotlight as well? ;) 

"Mercy is not dispensed here, fools! Only PEZ." :) 

I agree there, but he's the second best thing at IDW right now after Furman. And we are not getting enough (pretty much none) of Furman nowadays. Certainly, Roche can write a cohesive story and can give characters interesting personalities so that I'll actually care for them - something that Costa or Shane were incapable of so far.

Also, repeating this statement in every second post of yours won't really work, Sideswipe. Maybe you should put it into your signature as a flashing sign? ;) 

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It's not like Hasbro don't already release figures that have almost none to zero appearances in TF fiction. Pretty much every TF line will have figures which don't show up in any other media and the kids still buy them. At the very least kids would buy a Drift figure because it looks cool. But they'll make their minds up on that themselves without being told 'This is Drift. He's badass and cool'. Unless that's what Hasbro write on his blistercard bio. :p 
    I'd like Drift to think he's that badass and he almost is, but he always forgets one important detail which lands him in trouble at the end of everything.

Kup: "Okay, Drift, due to your amazing sword skills and general badassness we've managed to fight our way into the Decepticon control base. Just hand me the bomb and we can blow this joint."
    Drift: "Ah. The ... bomb. I forgot it. I do have swords though"
    Kup: "Oh, Drift. That's so like you. If you weren't so mysterious I'd leave you at home."
    Drift: "Swords."

Drift would make more sense if all he ever said was 'Maaaaatt Daaaaamon!" :p 

3. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Yea i like him too.

4. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Roche gets praised for very simple things.

Gorgeous, expressive art. I think he's one of the very few TF artists out there who gives Transformers very distinctive faces beyond helmets/visors/mouthplates.

Enjoyable storylines.

Great character dynamics backed up by a very natural flow of dialog. Pyro, Kick-Off, Rotorstorm and Ironfist were once virtual nobodies and now they're full of personality.

An ability to put in just the right balance of humor and drama in his stories. LSOTW has plent of funny moments yet you can still grasp the severity of the situation and the sense of dread around it all.

He doesn't have to pack his stories full of "pin-up pieces" or galaxy-wide-changing-events-of-ginormous-proportions to make a good tale. Like in martial arts, a great master of the basics will always defeat an amateur using flashier moves.

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    If Rotorstorm survives LSOTW, I'd like to see him meet Drift and spend the entire encounter mocking him. Maybe accuse him of being a fanfic character created by Ironfist in his wiki-writing days, that Drift read and assumed the identity of.

6. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero

Ebay:
    I perfer Roche over Furman, nowdays. Didn't care for the "ations," or Expanssion. Oh also didn't care for his Female Transformer explination.

7. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Drift is just to much at the moment, to many stories to much "super cool" about him, I don't hate the charicter but I do think he's a bit of a joke, he needs to toned down and given some depth, a better writer could turn this guy around and I do think Roche could be the one to do it. Maybe with something like Drift always acting super cool but you get to see what he's thinking and find out he's a nerotic mess and wont use a gun cos he can't shoot stright, would actually give him some personality instead of just buzz words.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think Drift has to fail horribly in a story and then be built back up over a long period of time. He's got this position in Kup's special team and he really needs to fall from grace there and then earn his stripes again through major hardship. Maybe then, as we see him become better after being beaten down from his badass position, people might start to like him.

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Drift is 'ok' in my book, not taking in account my opinions on AHM or writers or whatever.

He has a pretty cool design and a sweet alt mode. His character? Total cliché, of course. Personally, don't really see the need to add a (or is it another?) samurai inspired nutjob to the roster, feel it's way too forced. As some people have pointed out, he's awkwardly close to being the ultimate fan character gone official. Then again, Animated had alot of ninjas, something I ALSO do not see the need for, and that didn't stop me from liking the series and the characters.

In the end though, alot of the Transformers are clichéd characters. Some have become really fleshed out, others haven't. Not a problem to me, so in that way, not a problem to me if Drift happens to be who he is, even if I don't like the stereotype used.

I DO feel the people who don't like him would mind less if IDW wouldn't try to shove Drift down our throats every chance they get, pretty much saying: LOOK WE MADE A NEW CHARACTER ISN'T HE COOL? LOOK! LOOK DAMNIT LOOK!! :lol 

10. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the point is that already has fallen "from grace." After all, he's a former, very deadly (Kup knew of him by name by Autbots he killed) Decepticon who is now trying to redeem himself. Most of the Autobots still don't accept him. Conversely, neither does Thundercracker.

11. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

That's not a fall from grace though really is it, he's still "wicked cool" that what he need to lose and come back up as a charicter, going from killer to hero isn't that by a long way.

12. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

I was hoping after All Fail Megatron we would have heard the last of Drift. Then again, I no longer buy Transformer comics thanks to that dreadful mini-series, so I guess it doesn't matter for me now anyway. I can't believe Shane McCarthy still has a job at IDW. :rolleyes: 

13. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    That'd be EPIC!

:lol 

-airfox