Drift having a small fan base.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by JetFormers, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    Now might be bias here since, Drift is pretty much my #1 fav bot that has been created within the TF-Universe besides G1 fan favorites like Soundwave, Cliffjumper, Jazz...Etc...Now I'm just asking is there a particular reason why, Drift received a lot of hatred? I mean he did get his own comic book line about 3-5 issues about him (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this info) He even got his own Shattered Glass Version of him self...So he must be doing something right during his very little spot light. Though I agree with some people saying that he is an overrated badass, but is that really a reason to hate on him? I like, Drift yes because he is a badass, but also as well as his back story of him as Deadlock from becoming a 'con to a 'bot.

Yes a Idea like this isn't much new to other medias/and shows as well as a bit within the TF-Universe, but for IDW to give a Transformer an actually back story of a character like, Drift is pretty damn awesome.

So I guess I'm just saying though he looks like a badass, and has a bit of it in himself, I just personally think his backstory is cool and a bit different. It's rare well not as rare, but it's one of those once in a while things when we see a full ledge on story about a Decepticon changing to the Autobots or vice versa.

[​IMG]

2. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the main reason why people dislike Drift is because they're under the assumption he's a Mary Sue, which I totally disagree with. He's an awesome character in the comics. I wish we'd see more of him outside of what IDW has done.

3. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I liked Drift's spotlight and when he was just off to the side in AHM, his mini was just ho-hum but I think what Roberts is doing with him in MTMTE is great and his explosions in the annual added a little more depth to him that was much needed. I think the hate is just a product of the hype and people who still hate on the bot haven't let it go.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Quoting what I wrote for TFWiki:

Basically, when the character was first introduced, he was hyped by Shane McCarthy and IDW to be the bestest mostest awesomest everest new Japanese ninja samurai hardcore assassin turncoat with swords, but a lot of us were turned off by the hype (popular characters aren't announced to be "awesome" in advance, it's the audience that decides which character is awesome after the fact), and the initial stories featuring him didn't actually make him seem that great. Add to that the mixed reactions to All Hail Megatron in general, and you might get why a lot of fans didn't think any new character introduced during AHM would be the best thing since sliced bread.

So long story short: Massively overhyped introduction of a character constructed out of a lot of stereotypes, coupled with lackluster stories featuring him. Popular characters aren't created by marketing decree, they become popular as a consequence of good writing.

5. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Drift, to me is awesome. Screw that over used ''Mary sue'' nonsense.

6. Nevermore

News Credits:
    There's a difference between "how he was conceived/marketed/originally written" and "how he's written now, by a better writer".

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Drift is cool. If Blurr and Drift wouldn't share the same mold, I would have bought him as a toy, though he's a newbie. But as it is, I bought Blurr. Wish Blurr would have gotten his own mold. So I could have both.

8. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Do you have an aversion against retools?

9. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe there brothers :) 

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It also doesn't help that he wasn't introduced alongside other characters in the 80s, so a lot of fans don't have the attachment to him from their childhood that they have for other characters.

11. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Yeah, somehow I think MTMTE got Drift a much bigger fanbase...

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think having a cool toy also helps.

13. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

To this day, I've never understood the aversion to getting repaints/retools. I could understand if it was something like "red stripe Movie Bumblebee" vs. "Black stripe Movie Bumblebee", but if it's an entirely different deco I can't see what prevents someone from wanting to double up on a mold. Especially a good mold, or if the repaint is established as a totally different character.

To the OP, I just have no connection to the character. After already having been put off by the AHM series, in comes Cybertronian Ripclaw, and I lost all interest. I own the toy because it's a good toy, not because of any character attachment. Honestly, I've been thinking about adding a little paint and turning him into Minerva.

14. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 MTMTE Sucks Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    my thoughts exactly

15. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    For me, it was more of how the entire Autobot cast was changed and cut down to the 1984 originals...with the writer's brand new pet character thrown in.

He was like that self-insertion character kids think-up when they're 10. He hangs out with their favorite characters, has ninja skillz, a mysterious past, etc;...

James Roberts cleaned the character up, toned him down, and made him tolerable. That doesn't mean Drift didn't deserve the scorn the fanbase gave him originally. I still don't care for him, and I hope he goes away after Roberts is finished with him.

16. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    So the whining and complaining about Drift...is the same reasons that Sentry got over in marvel...Gotcha.

17. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Havn't actually made it up to his debut in the comics, but when I started following MTMTE as it came out, I have to say I like him and his dynamic with Rodimus.

As has been said, I think most of the hate is against the "concept" of him, not realyl Drift himself. People dislike that he's a new character added to "G1", people think he's a Mary Sue for being a badass ninja who used to be evil, people hated how he was hyped excessively.

His toy is great too. I went full weeaboo and got the United version while I was at it.

18. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Yeah, Drift's toy is actually my favorite CHUG toy ever. Well, if you don't count RTS Lugnut as CHUG, at least.

19. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Like Boba Fett and Darth Maul?

:drunk 

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I don't think Drift's appeal was ever suppose to be characterization. He is a sword totting race car meant for action. Anyways, it's not like he was an outright unlikeable character. McCarthy just needed someone like Roberts to fill in his blanks.