Heavy/Scratch: Drift - Cybertronian Mode (WIP)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Mar 6, 2011.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I told some of you guys LONG ago that I had this planned from day one of seeing Drift before his release. I picked up extras when they first hit, to do just that. Just wanted to share what I've been working on, on and off between other stuff.

1) I modded the shoulders to extend down a bit more, which also widens them a bit. This can be done by taking apart the two halves of the chest and cutting the plastic down a bit so that the shoulder hinge/pin can move down and out further. This helps to move his shoulder parts away from his head (which were kinda all up in his grill).

2) I modded the rear waist to allow the door hinge/pins to move down more flat against his hips and legs, instead of sticking out too far. Now they fold in better on the waist and look better.

3) The chest area is still a WIP, but I'm going for the Cybertronian alt mode for Drift--most of his current alt mode will be completely built over in styrene. I may add articuation to the waist, just haven't decided yet.

The overall look of Drift with these mods is much better than the original. The mods allow The arms to sit more against the body, instead of being pushed out to the side due to the old shoulder and door/waist positioning. This makes him look more lean, while also bulking up the upper torso/shoulder area, and it keeps the head from looking pinned in between the shoulder parts. He just has a more natural look to him instead of the raised shoulder, wide hipped look (due to those door hinge/pins).

Already did the same mod to my Blurr's shoulders, just need to hit the waist on him also to make him a bit leaner. The last few shots at the bottom show Drift with the left side (as you face him) showing the original position of the shoulder and door/waist piece. The right side (as you face him) shows the new mods, the wider and slightly lower shoulder, and the door/waist piece more against the body and not hindering the arm as much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    I'm really excited about this.

This reminds me - I need to get back on my Deadlock project...

3. TronCity

TronCity TRANSFORMER JUNKIE

Another great idea man.

4. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks guys! I'll snap a pic tonight or tomorrow to show this modded Drift next to an unmodded Drift, so you can see the actual difference it makes.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I like the look of those mods. I may have to investigate this further... ;) 

6. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i may be borrowing your shoulder mod to these guys it looks great.

and i cant wait to see your alt mode for this guy should be very interesting.

7. rumble619

rumble619 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome work B!!!!!!!!!

Honestly I'm not a big Drift fan(the character not the figure) but I can't wait to see what you come up with.I am however definitely going to try these mods on my Blurr!!!!

Keep it up bro

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Just those shoulder and hip mods alone are worth posting, can't wait to see what else you've got coming :thumb 

9. simonatmac

simonatmac The stop motion maker

Ebay:
    Great idea!

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Great job on the modifications! Improves the overall look of the figure with only some minor snipping!

I have a question though... with the wider base for the arms now, is it possible for the shoulder armour (car hood parts) to point directly out to the sides? Or is it still too tight?

zmog

11. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Glad you guys dig this--and borrow away, if any of you want to do this. The shoulders still won't fold completely point out to the sides. The shoulders still catch on the edge of the chest a bit. It also brings the arms themselves in a bit too much and pulls them forward also. So it's still too tight, but I'm sure there's a way to joint it to do that.

12. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    The shoulder Mod - WIN.
    Yes, I am sooooo doing this.

13. SMOG

I did it last night, about 5 minutes after leaving my post. :D 

Nice. It doesn't quite give Drift as much extra freedom of movement as I'd like, since his forearms still bump against his hip-doors, but it does add flexibility overall. Drift is a weird figure, both awesome, and full of kibble that likes to get in the way... so every little bit helps.

The reason I wanted to get the car halves pointed outwards is (surprise, surprise) because I was thinking of doing the Punch/Counterpunch thing with this mold. It's annoying because adding or extending the arm joints to allow for this seems really difficult... but it would match Counterpunch so well. Back to the drawing board, I guess... :) 

Thanks for the arm and hip mods! Quick, easy and beneficial!

zmog

14. chansformers

chansformers butcher of the bots

News Credits:
    that looks sooooo much better now with the mods,now quit teasing ans show us the new and improved cyb. alt mode:drool: 

15. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

looks bad ass!

16. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks guys--that alt mode is in the works, Otis! Nothing to show just yet on it (all I've done so far is do some minor framework for the chest and I hit the wheels with a soldering iron).

SMOG, anytime man! Did you also do the waist/hip mod? (basically just trim the plastic down so the doors can fold in against the legs better and give just a bit more room for the arms to hang and move).

17. SMOG

Yeah, I did the hip kibble mod too. It's just that because his arms also now sit a little lower, they still bump against the doors a bit. Better than before though! :) 

zmog

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm really excited about seeing you finish this, bud :thumb 

19. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    im excited about the alt mode

i think it will also translate really well into a very good g1 update to blurr instead of his car form

SO GET BACK TO WORK!!!!!

jk

20. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

Definitely want to see how the vehicle comes out. Can someone show me a picture of his cybertron vehicle mode? I just bought Blurr finally, so I need to mod my Drift, too. Making him Cybertronian would be a lot easier than doing Blurr... [​IMG]