Drift #4 of 4 (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GogDog, Oct 20, 2010.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Ok, we all knew Wing was going to bite it, but he kinda said he was in #3, so no surprises there. :lol 

I'm glad that Dai Atlas and the rest of the Crystal City survived, but Lockdown was allowed to leave, and he knows where it is now...

Also, EL OH EL at Drift "drifting" around modern Japan surrounded in cherry blossoms. :lolol  It's almost self parodying, or just taking a jab at the haters, or just.... oh man. :lol 

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  2. Cybermnky

Cybermnky Well-Known Member

This wasn't my favorite issue of the series, but it was good. Nothing unexpected but well done I think.
    I do like that they explain why they don't use the big swords except in rare cases though - the whole "it uses the very spark of its bearer". Though now I'm still confused why there are a bunch of swords designed for Cybertronians that were just sitting around somewhere and the Knights found them...

My biggest gripe is page 19, panel 4. Drift says that he's not convinced he wants to join the Autobots - yet the very next thing he does that we see (in Spotlight: Drift) is... dun dun duuuhhhn... join the Autobots. Apparently all it took to convince him was Kup asking.

And then there's the obligatory, Drift is Japanese - See!!!!!!! scene that I have mixed feelings about.

A good series though, I liked it.

3. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    Am I the only one who actually liked the last two pages. I'd dare say that I'd like it if this was the last we ever see of the character. Not because I hate him, but because I like to think that he's "found his peace" on Earth.

Edit: Keep in mind that there isn't a full blow war going on anymore. So Drift could return to action once things get more serious.

4. Nerroth

Nerroth Alea iacta est.

News Credits:
    I enjoyed the last two pages' worth of art, myself.

Actually, if TakaraTomy could be trusted to deal with a decent animation studio, I reckon this mini might have the makings of a good OVA; not least with the last scene tying things in to modern Japan.

(Indeed, while the story is set in the IDW main timeline, it's self-contained enough for one to use it as a part of any number of other Primax universal streams.)

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Best post that's ever going to come out of this thread.

Considering how literal obsessive this fandom is.

6. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Agreed, the entirety of Drift's story has been told. Move on.
    He is not the Wolverine or Snake Eyes of TF-dom.

That fundamental plot point aside, I enjoyed the comic. The art was nice but it was still confusing as to who was who. How did Alex keep them separate in the black and white phase? The plot was cliche but that's not always a bad thing. The only twist was the introduction of Lockdown who made sense in TFA, but in G1esque settings is harder to feel any sort of a compelling attraction too.

7. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just Read it and in doing so have Finished my first series in Single issues, I liked it alot.
    -The explanation about the "Big Swords" was great as was Drift asking about them.
    -Wing's Death (RIP) while expected was done well,showing the slavers as a match for the Transformers
    -His death sparking Dai Atlas into action and drift taking up Wings Sword was great
    -He absolutely ruined the leader slaver
    -the last two pages were epic. Drift is just Like "Yeah im drifting in japan next to japanese flowers, Im awesome"

Hope the Trade has extras, because i will be getting it

8. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

I liked it alot. Pretty predictable, but in a good way. And I also am a fan of the last couple of pages.

9. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished reading my copy, good conclusion to a solid series. Some quick bullet points:
    -Like how Lockdown was left alive for future use by other writers or McCarthy himself, though was concerned about the Knights doing that until Dai Atlas said they would go public.
    -Expected Lockdown to kill Wing & not Braid(since when did Drift learn his name?), but hey, Martyrdom for Wing!
    -Last 2 pages felt a bit unnessacary, but hey it's good art & we see Drift in robot mode! It also explains why he hasn't been in Ongoing since issue 1.
    -Love the Great Swords handicap, but I just love any uber-powerful weapon that requires your life in some way to use it.

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Poor Waver, doomed to spend eternity as a standalone pair of pants.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It wasn't bad, but it wasn't wow-tastic either. I really, really wish Lockdown had been more.... Lockdown. He just seemed like generic Decepticon crony #4,389 and that he was just thrown in there to make people go "OMG G1 LOCKDOWN!".

12. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Drift: Because Ronin would be too farking obvious!

Actually I never really "hated" Drift, but he did seem a bit too much like a "marty-stu", so I think they did a really good job with this mini. He had a story and they told it well.

Timeline: we really don't know the precise timeline of this story, he was "homeless" (one of the Empties? Possibly even some sort of substance addict?) durring the Golden Age.
    He joined Megatron durring the fall of Cybertronian society (though I still wonder why he wasn't a Seeker) and then on some random mission that could have happend a long time ago he attempted to mutiny against his CO (and with a lot of Decepticons, you have to admit, that's how you get ahead)
    Abandoned on a stange world (we don't know how long he wandered in that desert before he found the slavers) had his little run in with Wing, trained for another unknown length of time, then led the fight against the slavers.

After that he swore he'd return all the slaves, we don't know how long that took, if he ran into Lockdown ever again, what kind of adventures that entailed, etc. Then on another remote planet (okay not THAT remote, it had a spaceport) he ran into his old crew and a bunch of Autobots. Since the last of the slaves had been returned (assumed) he had nothing better to do so he joined up with them. Right about the time of AHM.

Assuming after the events of AHM, and maybe durring Ongoing, he came to Earth. Somehow he ended up in Japan, where there is no-war, no one is looking for him, and for whatever reason, he's found peace.

Works for me.

Now here's what I'm SHOCKED no-one's noticed.

Swords of Primus anyone? They all look like they have a mini-matrix in them. They use part of the user's spark to mutiply the damage. They pre-date history (and since the Crystal City Knights seem to have a better grasp of history than the Autobots/Decepticons that's a pretty long time ago, and even THEY don't know where they came from)

I don't know if they will ever bring Unicron into this universe, but if they do I'm betting THIS will be what they use to fight him,,, or at least his minons. Perhaps they do even MORE damage to the "spawn of chaos" (here Tarantulas, Tarantulas, Tarantulas, I've got a surrrrprise for you! :horse: )

Good series. I liked it.

:lolol  :rip 

13. Airspeed

News Credits:
    The end of this brings up some points
    -Why did Drift leave Ongoing 1 to go drifting in Japan ?
    -Sets up a possible future encounter with Lockdown
    -We need more of Dai Atlas' story, What made him hate War So much, was it just so much War or a specific event.
    -And now that New Crystal City is fully visible and open, will it be targeted or will some characters join them.

14. Infosaur

Could have happend much later.

15. Airspeed

News Credits:
    Maybe, but it says today which suggests that it takes place during the same time as Ongoing 12 but since Drift has been finished for like 6 months and held back until now it could be like Ongoing 6.

16. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would YOU want to be in Ongoing? :p 

17. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

pretty much what I thought would happen to Wing did.

The cover of 4 makes no sense....

Are the swords made of Primus like the Matrix?

I hope there is more......

They need to release some of these rare figs , I mean, come on, what a friggin tease

18. Infosaur

Would you accept non-transforming figures? Because I don't think any of them transformed.

19. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed virtually all of this series. Drift's origin tale, the alien slavers, Dai Atlas's crew, so on. The only thing I thought out of place was Lockdown, he had no real reason to be a part of the story except as a marketing ploy.

So much of the art was incredible, and the little touches like Kremzeek, TFW2005 and New Crystal City just show how much both Shane and Alex love this franchise.

That last page was stunning.:thumb  I really liked the fast forward to Japan, thought it fit well - just have to figure out where to fit it in the timeline.

I wasn't hugely looking forward to this series as the Drift character never really captured my imagination during AHM, but I ended up really loving it. It even made me buy the toy, lol.

20. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know I'm late to the show. Just got around to reading mine, and I was very happy with this, and looking forward to the trade and hopefully more Dia Atlas. I'd like to see another Drift Mini about him going after the slavers, and eventually how he decided to help the Wreckers in Spotlight Drift.

As to him not being in the ongoing. I can see him wanting to stay out the day to day crap between the human-autobots-decepticons. If crap starts hitting the fan and he needs to step in i'm sure he will.

Joining up with Kup's team, and whatever you call the situation they have after AHM are very different groups. So again yeah I can see Drift going screw you guys, we dealt with Megatron, and now you are having petty infights instead of making peace work. I'm going to Japan. They have swords like I do so i'll probably fit in.