Minor/Repaint: Drift —> Blurr

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by @l3x, Aug 28, 2010.

1. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm working on a couple modifications to the Drift mold so that he and Blurr can look a bit more different from each other. The mods are mainly meant for Blurr, but I decided to go ahead and do them on Drift first because they improve articulation and I wanted a practice run. Anyway, here's what I'm working with:

- Those who have Drift know that you can swing the shoulder kibble upwards to look something like Animated Blurr's shoulders. Problem is that doing so makes the arms way too long to look okay, so I built tracks in the shoulder pieces that allow you to push the arms upward into the kibble after you swing it up. Now the arms are perfect.

- I'm separating the torso into three sections (chest, abs, and waist). The main goal for this is to let the midsection swing around so that the windshield sits on the back, although ideally when I'm finished with this mod the figure will have waist articulation as well (credit to L_K for this idea).

- I'm thinking about slicing off the spoiler. Not because I think it will make the figure look any better or worse, but because in robot mode it really interferes with the thigh swivel.

Anyway, nothing too complex here, but the subtleties should help to really give Drift and Blurr unique identities. Still a WIP as of now, but here's a couple pics of the arms, which are about a fist-length shorter with the mod.

EDIT 8/30: Cut the torso up. still isnt held together but I've added a few new photos to give you guys an idea of the diversity I'm going for. Also, note that you can still have this figure in the original "Drift" configuration and it's completely unaffected.

Attached Files:

2. changy

changy Well-Known Member

That sweet man can you show us more pic of how to the arms?

3. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Sweet!

4. yuujin-mikeru

yuujin-mikeru What's a Tu-Ran-Su-Fo-Ma?

News Credits:
    It looks like a less than an inch difference but looks a lot better.

5. minsok

minsok Well-Known Member

I know where you're coming from. I'm not a fan of having 2 of the same mold, so I want my Blurr to look distinct from Drift, too. I think I might just splice him together with the animated figure.

6. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

This is really cool! Now I see this as the new equivalent of Universe Sunstreaker/ Sideswipe mold. :D 

7. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Slicing off the spoiler would make sense, as the actual Blurr mould doesn't have one.
    Comparison pic of unmodded drift would benefit this thread a lot :) 

8. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

hehe, I was thinking how that mold would look with the shouder things in that position... :) 
    I may apply that idea too when I could get Drift and Blurr (yes, in my country there are still no signs of Generations... nor ROTF Long Haul... xD)

9. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the comments. As far as comparison pics, take a look at the second photo in the thread. The arm on the right side of the image is the length of the modified shoulder, while the arm on the left is fully extended as the stock figure looks. It's actually less noticeable in the picture than it is in person.

10. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I've edited the first post with a few new photos. Hope you enjoy

11. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    So, I'm gonna echo the desire for a tutorial as well... :) 

12. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I hate being "one of those people", but any progress, since Blurr is kinda "officially out"?