Dremel

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mitch FIN Keith, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Mitch FIN Keith

Mitch FIN Keith Autobot

If i want to do clean accurate cutting of plastic, is a dremel the only way? and where is the best place to get a cheap dremel and what kind of price am i looking at.

2. MitchPower

MitchPower Active Member

News Credits:
    I got a mastercraft(home brand of Canadian Tire store) with more accessory than I'll ever need for 40$

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    X-acto knives and Jeweler sawblades are good and accessible too depending on what exactly are you planning to cut. (I might not have gotten the english names of these tools exactly right)

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Harbor Freight sells a small Dremel like moto-tool. It doesn't have variable speeds, but its smaller size makes it great for working on small projects like Transformers. It comes with a crap ton of accessories, too. I've been using mine more and more, since I got it.

I'd recommend picking up some reinforced cutoff wheels, somewhere, though. The wheels the HF tool comes with are the brittle type that break really easy. Better than the thinner unreinforced Dremel wheels I've used, though.

Keep in mind, for years I've customized Transformers and GI Joe figures without a moto-tool. Pin vices are invaluable, as X-acto knives. Number 10 and 11 blades are a necessity, for cleaning up rough edges, shaving down tight spots, and carving off unwanted details. The #11 will see the most use, and you'll probably want to get a bulk pack, eventually. The tips break off of them, a lot. There are also saw blades available for X-acto handles. They're incredibly useful, for making quick cuts.

5. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    I'd get the snake extension that makes it a lot easier to use...

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    The best and easiest to use dremel tool for toy modifications is the Dremel Stylus. It'll set you back 75 bucks but it's small and gives you a lot of control. The majority of the cutting bits you'll need to use to modify Transformers and other toys fits it, so there's no need to buy a more expensive one.

Anyways for cutting I use a razor saw and X-acto knife. I use the dremel for rough carving or shaping chunks of plastic.

7. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

yeah dremel stylus is smaller with pistol grip so definitely more ergonomic and controllable than the standard bulky dremel.

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The Stylus. I've been using it for 4 years. The battery life is comparably smaller than other Dremels, but that's fairly obvious. Picked mine up on clearance for $30 at Walmart.

Also, why isn't this in Radicons? Or should I even bother asking this question in the first place?

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I LOVE my dremel - use it for everything.

BUT do not use it for straight cuts. Shaping/grinding yeah, just no straight cuts.

10. optimusprimeroc

optimusprimeroc Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i have a b&d rtx 3 speed rotary tool

11. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

Dremel's are the best and you pay for what you get so I wouldn't cheap out on it, otherwise you are going to replace it sooner rather than later no matter what anyone else says.

12. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

That's not true, IMO. I use my Stylus for straight cuts all the time, not a problem. Just have your Dremel appropriately clamped, and then run your piece through it.

The real problem lies in the disks that come its the Stylus, which suck, as they catch, snap and fling shrapnel all over the place. But, if you get the Dremel's EZ Lock Cutting Disk set, you won't have that problem, the EZ Lock is really quick and easy to use, and the bigger disk means better and easier cutting.

So bottom line, straight cuts are fine, I do it all the time and don't have any issues with it.

13. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

I picked up a Dremel 4000 the other week and it's utterly revolutionized the way I work. I would definitely recommend the long stylus attachment for close in work.

14. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I use these quite a bit.

Maybe I need a dremel stylus? My dremel is a wonderful tool, and I do use it as well- but I often find I have more control with my exacto blades and exacto saw (similar to a jewelers saw- maybe the same).

15. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Actually, I've been thinking that the only good saw discs for Dremels are too thick for some of the things I want to do with them.

I've been meaning to try and find some hobby saws to use when I intend to keep both sides of where I'm making the cut.