Customs: Dremel question

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jukebox Prime, Jan 7, 2008.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    lol--I know all about those "exploding dics"--had a couple of those when I attacked my PS2 with the Dremel.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    you're a true Kitbasher if you know "exploding discs"

4. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Wow. She's a keeper! :thumbs2: 

And thanks for reposting with the link! Who knows, maybe I'll just wait a while and save up for this package.

5. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Not as full of accessories as F_R but I love the little guy and he is so much easier to hold than a standard style rotary.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

It was posted earlier that 'as long it's a Dremel, you should be fine', which implies that Dremel are the top manufacturer - I'm not even sure that's the case, so much that the name has simply become synonymous with rotary tools. There are plenty of other manufacturers, Dremel are definitely the best known, though.

Personally I use a Como Microturbo 1, which I got for Christmas a few years back. It has everything I need - several sizes of chuck (which allows for various drill bits and differing brands of tools) and a variable speed on the transformer. It came with a selection of cutting discs, polishing heads and wire brushes, but I've since picked up quite an array of heads, including diamond cutting discs and burrs, sanding drums and drill bits. It's served me faithfully for ages, and it certainly makes my modelling a heck of a lot easier, and there are quite a few things I couldn't do without it.

7. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    screw the name, honestly. look at the prices I paid, I own both and they both work equally well.

I mean, in reality, I had 2 dremels burn out on me so far.

8. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    my dad bought me mine for christmas this year...he went overboard on the accesories and i had to return some of them. but anyhoo...i am using it now for the first time ever using a dremel. i was scared of it (or scared of messing up), but now that i have used it, i fell in love! It's a Dremel 200.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Actually, I had a similar thing when I first got mine. I don't think I used it for about a year and a half when I first got it - I just didn't know what to do with it. After I moved and got into kitbashing properly, I started to realise that there were things it could do much more quickly than I could do them by hand. Nowadays I use it so often, it's not even worth storing it in its case!

10. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

I have 4 Dremels.

1 - corded variable 10 speed that I use mainly in the router and drill press.

1 - 10.8V cordless variable 10 speed that's fantastic.

and 2 - 7.2V cordless 2 speeds which in all honesty I use the most. IMO it works great for just about anything. All it has for speed is high and low but the speeds are great for what I need. Just picked up one for Christmas for $30.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/tool-detail.htm?H=188091&G=66204&I=69677

I remember TFM metioning that the 4.8V MiniMite was a pretty bad tool to get. Way under powered.

11. RyakinX

RyakinX Well-Known Member

I've used two

Both were official Dremel Products.

One was mine which was a corded dremel withe the bendable extension.
    Problem 1: the bendable wasn't long enough so the weight of the unit still created problems. I ended up taking it off and just using the Dremel itself.

Problem 2: the Dremel itself was on the heavy side so detail work became frustrating

The second one I used was my buddies Battery Operated Dremel
    Rave reviews all around Battery life was ridiculously long and the thing was SO MUCH LIGHTER than my corded one, even though it had a battery, and the gun style configuration on it worked so much better than the straight config for detail work. The Lack of a cord getting in my way was a refreshing relief. I'm going to go out and get this one even though I already have one when I have the extra cash.

As far as the rest, A dremel is a dremel as long as it has a fine control speed switch, and not the ok speed 1,2,3,4,and 5 switch, I'm talking about almost an analog type switch. as far as bits go they all fit official Dremel bits which IMHO I have found to be the best quality.

Course I am the type of person who likes my tools Very specific and if they aren't that way they start migrating to the trash can.

Theres nothing like having your creative process stalled by crappy tools

12. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    I think your talking about the one I have, it's called the stylus right? I love it for the exact same reason no cord and SO much better control when its held like a gun, to me the normal style is awkward. But to each his own.

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    no, i think he means the same one I have...though, in my opinion, the battery life stinks. (compared to other cordless tools I own)

[​IMG]

14. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ohh nah, I like the gun style better. I never had my battery run out so I'm not sure on the life of the little bugger.

15. Jukebox Prime

Jukebox Prime Musi-Con

Now I think I'm liking the sound of that stylus... well maybe I'll just start setting some money aside! Thanks guys!

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    the gun is rather nice. wish they had those when i got mine...

17. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Yeah my only problem is it came with almost nothing(like 5) as far as accessories and bits go. Luckily a hard ware store was closing down and everything was 60% off.

18. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Lol, yeah I hate when that happens. Those little bastards surprisingly hurt ALOT !!!