Customs: Dremel advice

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Obliterator999, May 1, 2010.

1. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey guys, I think I'm ready to take it the next level and start some heavier customization but need better tools. Some stuff I can't do w/o a dremel and I'm thinking of buying one. I went to a few hardware/hobby stores but the ones they carry are pretty expensive and are probably too big and have too many accessories for the kind of job I need it for. So I checked ebay and there was quite a few that were quite affordable but then again, maybe they are cheap quality and worthless... I remember buying an airbrush for 20-something, it worked once or twice and then died on me. So to avoid to do that mistake again, what should I watch for? What are the necessary functions and accessories I should look for? A good grip? A couple of extra heads? Let me know what you guys think!

2. Robot.MacGyver

Robot.MacGyver Improvisational Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember back in the day I bit the bullet and got a $75.00 craftsman dremel.
    I loved it.
    Worth every penny.
    As time went on, the mount got bent, and would make the shaft vibrate like crap.
    So I went to go and get another one.
    Just out of curiosity, really, I picked up the Black and Decker RTX for, I think it was $35.00.
    It's supposed to be 3 speed only, but you can vary it by moving the adjuster in between speeds.
    for all intents and purposes, I don't miss my old Craftsman anymore.
    Just as good, if not better, cause it's lighter, and only $35.00 @ target/ walmart.

And that $75.00 was more than 10 years ago.

Happy hunting.

3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
  4. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    The $20 rechargeable one at Wal-Mart is a great starter dremel. I'm only now getting ready to upgrade to the plug-in one. That and the $15 accesory kit right nearby in the metal tin. You'll love it!

5. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I am also thinking about buying a dremel. If I were to buy the $20 walmart one, what kind of cutting wheels would i need to buy?

6. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    I went to Walmart and I didn't find the dremel you guys mentioned. They only had a 75 bucks dremel which is way beyond my budget for the tool. I blame Canada... Our Walmart probably don't carry all the same stuff as yours. Then I saw a Stylus at Home Depot for 110 bucks. Again I blame Canada for overpricing just about everything. I looked over at ebay since it's probably my only other alternative, and found 3 decent auctions.

One is a cordless Dremel Minimite /w charger :
    Dremel MiniMite Rechargable Dog Nail Grinder on eBay.ca (item 250556810995 end time 31-May-10 09:58:54 EDT)

The other is the same but uses batteries :
    NEW! Dremel 6V MiniMite Cordless Rotary Tool NIB on eBay.ca (item 290425388789 end time 15-May-10 10:07:19 EDT)

And then there's this set, but I'm not sure what brand the actual tool is :
    80 PC ROTARY TOOL SET HOBBY DETAIL SAND FITS DREMEL BIT on eBay.ca (item 380190128879 end time 19-May-10 16:50:07 EDT)

Looking at these, the cordless Minimite seems to be the best pick. What do you guys think?

7. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I started out with an OLD dremel at first, one I inherited honestly. I used it until the shaft inside actually snapped (old, old OLD dremel) about last year
    I looked around at various ones, but I wanted more fine control as I don't use the dremel just for toys but for various other things. I ended up buying a dremel stylus as it holds a charge wonderfully, it's grip allows me more detail control and the variable speeds let me handle big jobs while the lower speeds let me do toys and the like just as well.
    BUT, I bought this to be a workhorse, if you're getting started go for a smaller less expensive one.
    If you do go wireless get one that will hold a charge a long time though, you WILL be putting it down for hours at a time while you fiddle with things, and forget to put it on it's charger. Variable speed is a great control too, and a grip that lets you hold it well is another big help.

8. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I think the Minimite is $20 dollars at my local Walmart.
    Hrmmm.

9. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    Oh oh, what about this one? There's a pretty nifty discount on it and comes with a flex shaft to boot. It's Mastercraft however, dunno if that's on par with Dremel. :(  And I might just end up encumbering myself with too many accessories.

Mastercraft 250-piece Rotary Tool & Kit | Canadian Tire

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'd like a tool with a very low speed that functions as a pin drill - you can get manual pin drills in doll house furniture shops but other than that finding something that can drill tiny holes well is tricky I think.

You need to drill very small holes in a line to fit a repair plate into a broken joint so it won't twist like rods do. but finding something to do that has left me flumuxed.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I got a cheap ass $20 one at Target years ago that still does the trick.

I'd avoid a rechargeable (unless you can plug it in as well), it's guaranteed to be dead when you need it.