Customs: Dremel 2001 - any good?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bovril, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

I'm a (small-time) customiser getting fed up with hand tools (especially for filing/sanding)

Is the Dremel 2001 going to be sufficient for working with Transformers and Styrene? I'm aware there are better models, but in all honesty I'm pretty poor.

I can get one for £35 ($60 ish) - as long as it'll manage the above it'd be ideal. Not planning to use it for anything else.

Thanks in advance fellow bashers!

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Amazon.com: Dremel 200-1/15 Two-Speed Rotary Tool Kit: Home Improvement

Anything like this one? It should be fine to work with Transformers and styrene. But, I work with a lot of styrene and I'd suggest just scoring the pieces with a hobby knife and sanding them by hand. You get a much more careful and controlled cut by cutting styrene that way.

My old Dremel was a 2-speed and it worked fine, but eventually needed replacing (pretty sure I could take it apart and oil it up and have it work fine again though). I've been using a Dremel Stylus for 2-3 years now and it has more speed settings, an easy grip handle, and a battery that lasts perfectly fine for my work and cutting (and I do a LOT of it).

I know you're fed up with tools for filing and sanding, but some Dremels, even on a low speed, are still too high to very carefully sand certain areas. I'd use the Dremel to sand larger areas, then fine sand it by hand to smooth things out.

3. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Thanks for the input mate :)  Yeah that's the exact model.

No doubt I'll still use the hand tools plenty - it's just when you've gotta, say, shave 1cm off a lego brick - that can take all day with a hand file.

As for styrene, I'd hoped maybe it could be used to clean up the edges of 3-d styrene sculptures - there always seems to be a touch of awkward overhang here and there.