Dremare's Non-Transformers Reviews

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Dremare, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I'm not sure if I should make a different thread for non-Transformers, but here is my review of the new Onua Nuva Mistika, the first non-Transformer review for this thread.

Onua Nuva Mistika:

[​IMG]

The new canister is nice, opposed to the vine-covered canister of the Phantoka. With its giant Ignika and its rotting half (for the Makuta Mistika), it's pretty noticeable. The canister has the logo of Lego, the logo of Bionicle, the logo of the Mistika, and word no one really cares about. On the back of the canister, it has a depiction of Photok and him linking together, one side with the other canister sets and their set numbers, and more words no one cares about.

The Pieces:

[​IMG]

Of course, the most important part of the sets are the pieces!! Of course, you have your old pieces, and then your new ones, like these!

[​IMG]

Left: Nynrah Ghost Blaster pieces
    Middle Left: Onua's Mask, and Chest Piece
    Middle: New socket pieces (I really don't know what it's called)
    Middle Right: Onua's shield, new rocket pieces and fin pieces
    Right: Nynrah Ghost Blaster holster (don't know what to call it)

I like the Nynrah Ghost Blaster out of the recent ones we had before until the Rhoutaka launchers of ye olden days. It has the you-have-to-build-it type of feeling, not like the other ones we had so fair (some of you may say that the Zamor Sphere launcher was one that we could build, but I'm counting the ones that actually hold its ammunition).

Building It:

[​IMG]

The construction of Onua Nuva Mistika is a slight variation of the new typical Toa build. Nothing spectacular really. It's rather boring and quick if you know what you're doing.

Finished Product:

[​IMG]

The finished product of Onua Nuva Mistika, it's pretty cool really. The shield's nice, and the "holster" of the Nynrah Ghost Blaster is too.

[​IMG]

Action pose!

[​IMG]

He's pretty well-protected, until the enemy attacks his other side. Otherwise, it's pretty cool.

[​IMG]

The fins/wings are actually a stud apart. Looks a bit odd to me, so I'll fix that later to my liking.

[​IMG]

Here's Onua with his teammate, Tahu- wait a minute! Is it me, or did Onua gain height and got taller than Tahu? One of the two shortest members got taller now than anyone else on his team, which is uncharacteristic of him.

[​IMG]

Here's a back-to-back comparison of the height change to Onua.

My Final Thoughts:

Sure, its not the new Toa Nuva set you may have wanted, but hey, Lego needs to make money. He has several pro's and con's though that I have pictured or pointed out earlier.

Pro's:
    • New Pieces perfect for MOCing.
    • Cool design
    • Familiar character in a new form to attract new fans

Con's:
    • The nose-guard of the mask is too big
    • Maxilos Mask Dilemma, for those who hate it
    • Fins/Wings are a stud apart
    • The Matoran connection feature is too common now
    • The price is higher than before now, for those who can't buy sets over $12.00
    • It's very frustrating to use his Nynrah Ghost Blaster, pretty uncomfortable

Overall, the set is cool, plus the character is familiar to us all, even thought the set looks different now. Some people may not like this, but it's okay enough to me.

Stars: 8 out of 10

Edit: I forget to add the con about the Nynrah Ghost Blaster, and because of that, I lowered the Stars to 8 instead of 9.5.

2. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Please comment on the review.

3. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Glatorian: Malum review

It's been a while since I posted a review in here, but here we go. It's a review on Malum, one of the 2009 Bionicle sets called Glatorian, and is the former Fire Tribe Glatorian.

Here we go!

Malum:

[​IMG]

Malum is a nice combination of red, orange, and gray. While silver is used in this set, it took a massive back-down because in the Mistika, silver dominated all colors. While I am a fan of silver, it's nice to get back on focusing on the colors of what element the Bionicle is suppose to be.

[​IMG]

Back shot of Malum. On his back is located a health counter.

[​IMG]

Close-up of the health counter. The reason for this is because Bionicle now has a game that involves two Glatorian battling each other.

[​IMG]

The new pieces that Malum comes with. From left to right: Glatorian/Agori head, flame claw, straight Hordika neck, one half of Thornax Launcher, Thornax fruit, Malum's helmet, health counter.

Malum comes with many new pieces, it's just so awesome. There are a few things about Malum you should know though. For one, the Kalmah Hordika feet on his arms slightly hinders his articulation. And he's also the shortest Glatorian in the Winter 2009 sets.

My Final Thoughts:

Just like everything else in the world, pro's and con's accompany this set.

Pro's:
    • Awesome colors
    • Silver is hardly seen on this set
    • Awesome new head
    • A lot of new pieces
    • Finally, instead of letting your Bionicle sets gather dust, you can play a game with them that you can keep track of!
    • Thornax Launcher is light, easy to use, and isn't bulky at all
    • Lots of recolored pieces (Granted, the Hordika feet would have been red on Kalmah, but aren't as they were altered for Kalmah)

Con's:
    • Very short stature if you don't like short sets
    • Claws reach to feet if you consider them his hands
    • Health counter slightly looks off-placed on him

This is a great set. If you were thinking of passing him over, than you're wrong. He's a great addition to your collection, and you won't be disappointed.

Stars: 9.5 out of 10

[​IMG]

Malum's getting ready for his "Rider Kick"!

4. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dremare maybe should've put this on the official Bionicle thread, it would gain more exposure to ppl who are into this kinda stufs. I'm just saying dat's all..

5. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Glatorian: Skrall Review

Here's another review, this time for Skrall!

Skrall:

[​IMG]

Now, before I begin, Skrall is actually a species, not just one being. Skralls don't have names until they are granted by Tuma, who must see if you earned it by doing something honorable and worth mentioning by history.

So anyways, a Skrall will generally carry a sword with a built-in Thornax Launcher, and a buzz-saw shield that can be thrown like Captain America's shield. They're also perfectly balanced with their colors, which consists of Toa Mata red and black.

[​IMG]

Back shot of a Skrall. You may notice that a Skrall's body is connected with a Makuta Phantoka Shadow Matoran connector. And on his heel is his health counter.

[​IMG]

Close-up of a Skrall's health counter. Now this slightly peeves me off, because of the fact that his health counter is on his heel. This is very sad, but I have a solution to this, which I will show later.

[​IMG]

New pieces that a Skrall comes with. From left to right: Glatorian/Agori fists, one half of a Thornax Launcher, a health counter, a Skrall blade, a black straight Hordika neck, a Glatorian/Agori head, a Skrall shield, a Thornax fruit, a Skrall helmet, and a new black thigh/arm armor.

Skrall, like all of the other 2009 canister sets, comes with boatloads of new pieces. They look agile, despite being hunchbacked, and powerful.

My Final Thoughts:

Even if this guy is great, nothing comes flawless.

Pro's:
    • Great articulation
    • A lot of new pieces
    • Uses the Makuta Phantoka connector in a creative way
    • Awesome shield
    • New Rock Tribe swords may be the 2009 Air Katana
    • Even if hunchbacked, he looks fearsome and powerful.

Con's:
    • Health counter is placed awkwardly on his heel
    • Thornax Launcher is slightly awkward to use with a Skrall

But still, great set, I don't regret getting him, and I suggest that you also get yourself a Skrall.

Stars: 10 out of 10

[​IMG]

Skrall is ready for his battle!

But before I go and make Strakk's review, I'll show you how I put my Skrall's health counter on his back.

First, build your health counter normally.

[​IMG]

Second, find a black Inika shoulder pad and put the health counter on it, like so in the picture.

[​IMG]

Third, you use a three-cm. x-axle and put it in the Inika shoulder pad.

[​IMG]

Fourth, look for the hole nearest to the Matoran connector on Skrall.

[​IMG]

Fifth, you find a small blue pipe connector (like in Strakk's set) and place it in the hole.

[​IMG]

Sixth, you place the Inika shoulder pad on the lowest hole on the Matoran connector, and push the three-cm. x-axle in (as seen in the picture below).

[​IMG]

There you go! It's on his back. But how do you see the health counter without picking Skrall up? Here's how:

[​IMG]

(Sorry about the blurry picture)

So there you go! Now you have the health counter on his back now!

It's a bit wobbly, but it does it's job.

6. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Glatorian: Strakk review

Now's it Strakk's turn to be reviewed.

Strakk:

[​IMG]

Strakk is a nice combination of white, dark blue, ice blue, and baby blue. I really like the clear ice blue on Strakk's shoulder pads.

[​IMG]

Back shot of Strakk. He uses the same idea that Skrall uses, but it's executed in a totally different way. It's awesome, I say, awesome! It makes him look like a hunchback, but he's actually the tallest Glatorian I currently have.

[​IMG]

Close-up of Strakk's health counter. Nothing for me to say hear, really, but it makes Strakk have less empty space on him.

[​IMG]

The new pieces that Strakk comes with. From left to right: Thornax fruit, one half of Thornax Launcher, Glatorian/Agori fists, Glatorian/Agori head, icicle shoulder pads, Strakk's helmet, his ice ax, and a health counter.

Like all of the other Glatorian of Winter 2009, Strakk is filled to the brim with new pieces, it's really cool, and plus it rocks!

My Final Thoughts:

Even if he's really cool (heh heh, pun), Strakk can't escape the inevitable pro's and con's.

Pro's:
    • Awesome shoulder pads
    • Helmet is nice
    • Ax is awesome with it's colors
    • Uses the Matoran connector like Skrall, but executes it in a different way
    • Loads of new parts
    • The 2008 double sockets are recolored in a nice shade of baby blue
    • The return of old eye colors from 2001

Con's:
    • Uses the Gorast neck style, so his neck is long and wobbles a bit

He's a great addition to your collection, you won't be disappointed. With his helmet's under-bite, combination of colors, and awesome ax, he is worth the 13 dollars you spend!

[​IMG]\

"I'ma swingin' mah ax at ya!"

7. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Pretty good reviews, and yeah... I think there should be a review sub-section in here for other toys. :) 

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Wow. Bionicle has gotten ALOT better since I lost interest with those spider disk thingies. I really need to pick a new one up to join my limited group of Bionicle figures. The orginal Lewa is still my favorite of all of them, though, since he was the first one I got.

9. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Agori: Atakus review

Now that I have covered the thee Glatorian I currently own, I now review my only Agori, Atakus!

Atakus:

[​IMG]

Atakus is your standard Av-Matoran design, being finished in a blink of an eye to veteran Bionicle collectors. His colors consist of black, gray, and his red head.

[​IMG]

Back shot of Atakus. He's not that amazing, but with his awesome swords, hands, and head he's got amazing articulation.

[​IMG]

The new pieces that Atakus brings us. From left to right: glow-in-the-dark Skrall swords, Glatorian/Agori hands, Glatorian/Agori head, and his helmet.

His helmet looks like a smaller and skinnier version of a Skrall's helmet, but you can tell it's his own.

With the terrible neck problem that the Av-/Shadow Matoran had gone, Atakus is a great small canister set to buy.

My Final Thoughts:

But will he pass the pro's and con's?

Pro's:
    • Neck problem with the Av-/Shadow Matoran had is gone
    • Even with limited articulation, you can pose him in many expressive poses
    • Nice helmet
    • Great buy if you have 8 dollars to spend

Con's:
    • Hands are a bit big on him
    • Articulation is limited

He's the only Agori I currently own, but I can guarantee you, I will be buying more small canister sets than I did the years before.

[​IMG]

Look out! He's coming for you!

10. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Yea, but I'll be reviewing more than just Bionicles. It's just that Bionicles are the only toys that I like that I can get without going online to pay ridiculous prices for them. I'd review Brave toys (but they're expensive), or Busou Shinkis (again expensive), or even Star Wars (if they hadn't killed it with the many spin-offs). I just have to find another toy series to review on, maybe Power Rangers and Ironman.

11. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I love reading toy reviews, and these were great - I really do think that there ought to be a non-tf feedback subforum on the site. That'd be sweet.

12. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I got Tarix today, and I will be reviewing him soon, as soon as I can get my old damn laptop to work (I'm using the family computer right now).

13. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    You should consider putting these in the existing Bionicle thread instead of making a second one.

14. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I'm not going to review only Bionicle, it's going to be a variety of things. Like I said earlier, I would review other things if they weren't expensive or hard to get. I'll try to review something other than Bionicle if anyone wants.

15. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    After 4.5 months, all I see is Bionicle. If you are including other lines, great. It sure doesn't look that way to the outside observer at this point though.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  16. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I'd say, if you can't justify spending the money on new (and expensive) stuff, then why not review things you've already got in your collection? Just because it's old to you doesn't mean it's old to us. :D  You've at least got some shinkis and Gundams, so why not give them the spotlight?

:) 

17. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

While I'm not a fan of the Bionicle aesthetic, I do like how you're doing the reviews. Top rate, and hope to see more.

Like Creaky said though, I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of your older stuff. I came into the Shinki game late, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on the older sets.

Anywho, keep it up.

18. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Okay, I'll try to review my older stuff, but right now I can't my damn old laptop isn't working, and the family computer can't upload pictures. I'll try to review some other stuff soon, though.

EDIT: Right now, I have this lines in mind:

Busou Shinki
    Gundam MSiA
    Some of the Power Ranger stuff that I broke when I was a little kid
    And some Spiderman stuff

That's all, and because of the fact that my sister's friends are here right now, I don't think I could do anything right now.

19. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    No hurry, just do what you can, when you can. Works for life in general too. :D 

20. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Toyark ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.