Dremare's General Reviews Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Dremare, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Dremare

Dremare It's pronounced "dreh-mare"

Well, after finding out that I need to put my reviews in the feedback forums, I have a new thread, and another useless one that'll be never heard of again.

Now, I'm going to post my review of Octane/Tankor very soon.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Awesome, I'll look forward to reading your thoughts on the guy. Don't forget to add it to the existing thread, and also remember you can submit your review to our Resources section by hitting the "submit reply" button at the bottom of each entry.

3. Dremare

I really don't know what you're talking about.

4. Dremare

Octane Review part 1

Okay, here's the first review!!!

Tankor/Octane (for you older fans)

The Box:

[​IMG]

Sorry, but I got Octane since last Saturday, and I was too excited to wait. But here it is. You can see his picture in the background,
    obviously, the Transformers Universe logo, the Decepticon symbol, and a classic, the transforming skill level.

[​IMG]

The back of the box has his bio, stats, a picture of him posing, the same picture in the front except mirror reversed, the Decepticon symbol, his alternate modes (out of the picture), the Transformers Universe logo, again, and another transforming skill level.

What I think:
    The box format is overused. I mean, everytime Hasbro makes a new Transformer Series the Deluxe sizes are the same. I wish that Hasbro would think more creativity.

The Plane Mode:

[​IMG]

The first vehicle mode you see, the plane form is a cargo plane. It's pretty convincing , except for one thing:

[​IMG]

This. His fueler truck mode's cab is visible. One of my few minor complaints. Other complaints are:

[​IMG]

Four of his wheels of his fueler truck mode can be seen from the bottom. Not very realistic, isn't it? Aw well, can't change what's been done.

[​IMG]

I like the propellers of the plane, but sometimes they can be a pain. I'll cover why in his fueler truck review later. Anyways, here's the front.

[​IMG]

The side.

[​IMG]

And the back.

Transforming into Fueler Truck Mode:

Transforming to fueler truck mode is pretty simple.

[​IMG]

Fold the side tail wings towards the middle tail wing until you heard a click.

[​IMG]

Here it is from the side.

[​IMG]

Next, split the tail end down the middle.

[​IMG]

Pull the cab until the windshield faces you. (I am in the middle of it and taking a picture from the side.)

[​IMG]

Turn the tail end halves until the wheels are are facing out. I took the picture in the process of doing it. Don't forget to pull the legs out.

[​IMG]

Now here it is when you're done doing that step.

[​IMG]

Fold the wings. Don't worry, there's a gear between the wings so when you fold it it the other wing does it the mirror image. Make sure the propellers are the same direction.

[​IMG]

See that? Pull the hips towards the wings like that.

[​IMG]

Now shorten the legs, like that.

[​IMG]

Now push the legs together on the wings. If you worry that the wings might poke out, don't. There are holes on the wings, and also two tabs for the holes. It actually holds the wings very firmly.

[​IMG]

Here's the front during mid-transformation.

[​IMG]

Now notice the cockpit there, how it's sticking out. We'll change that.

[​IMG]

See the chest plate? Front view.

[​IMG]

Side view. Then you fold the chest plate.

[​IMG]

Like that.

[​IMG]

Now split the cockpit in half.

[​IMG]

Now pull the cockpit half towards the "melee blade", and push a tab into a slot on the melee blade. Repeat with other side.

[​IMG]

See the hand? Another minor complaint.

[​IMG]

Now it's complete!!! Not!!!! You have to insert his guns to each side!!

[​IMG]

Right side.

[​IMG]

Left side.

[​IMG]

Now it's complete.

The rest to come on the next post of the review.

5. Dremare

God!!! I was going to post the second part of the review, but I had to leave to go watch my sister. When I finished, I tried to post it but it told me it couldn't!! So I'll post it tomorrow.

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

You should post this in the Tankor thread that already exists... though it was really good, I liked it.

7. Dremare

I really want to make my own reviews in my own thread. I don't really want to post this in another thread. But I will soon upload a video of the octane review.

note: Review also has the voice recording of my little sister, Jello. I needed a camera person... even though it's on a tripod.

8. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Photograph step-by-step of the transformation? Wow that's a lot of work. Seems like something best saved for a Youtube video. And I don't even watch those since all the video reviews I've seen take ten minutes to cover two minutes worth of content.

9. Dremare

Yea. Unfortunately I saved it on the Hard Drive on the camcorder, and my brothers won't help me.

10. Dremare

Soundwave review

Right, about the Octane review.... I'll finish that much later. But as of right now, I present the Soundwave review!!

Soundwave Review:

Vehicle Mode:

[​IMG]

Soundwave is a SUV, not his classic cassette player mode any more (It slightly disappoints me). He has a neon blue-green deco on him, painted on the sides and wheels (the neon blue-green appears to be a sky blue in the pictures sometimes). Notice the over-sized guitar on top of him. I'll get to that later. He also has opaque black for his windows.

[​IMG]

On the front you can notice that he has a cassette player menu (I consider the pause, stop, play, fast forward, and rewind buttons the menu) for a bumper. Nice homages to the original Soundwave, Hasbro and Animated designers.

[​IMG]

On the side, you'll notice that there is a cassette player stereo deco on him. More homages to the original Soundwave, good job Hasbro and Animated designers.

[​IMG]

With the guitar removed, you can see that he has some gold paint on his roof, painted to look like a power button. This Animated toy has probably the most homages in the Animated line that I ever seen!

[​IMG]

And on the bottom, you can't even see his robot mode parts!! This makes Soundwave my favorite Animated toy so far!!

Robot mode:

[​IMG]

The robot mode is nice too, he has amps on his shoulders which are actually his wheels. His chest is opaque black, and if you open his chest, you can see that he has a equalizer bar (didn't take a picture of it; sorry). And like the front of his vehicle mode, he has a cassette player menu. On the back he has kibble that's painted to look like two more amps. His head has some very pointy red sunglass-like eyes, and his face is flat. But who cares? His arms are somewhat ape-like, being to touch his knees without even trying. He shows more gold in this mode than in vehicle mode.

[​IMG]

Dramatic close-up!!!

Let's focus on his over-sized guitar.

[​IMG]

So what's the point of the over-sized guitar, besides being the only "weapon" he comes with? Well, it transforms!!

[​IMG]

Into everyone's favorite Decepticon bird spy, Laserbeak!! How cool is that?! Very!!

Here's some pictures of Soundwave holding Laserbeak in several ways I found out.

[​IMG]

"Laserbeak, report."

[​IMG]

Rock out!!

And one thing that no one has pointed out:

[​IMG]

He can carry Laserbeak in guitar mode on his back like a true rocker!!! Isn't that cool or what!?

My Final Thoughts:

Soundwave is definitely worthy of being your first Animated Transformer, and why shouldn't you buy him!? Here are several pro's and con's from him:

Pro's:
    • Agreeable Price
    • Cool Alt. Mode
    • Awesome Guitar/Laserbeak
    • Spiffy colors
    • It's Soundwave, what do you expect? He's cool

Con's:
    • If you don't like Animated toys
    • If you hate Soundwave
    • If you hate what Animated has done

But overall to me, Soundwave is one of the coolest Animated toys I've gotten so far.

Stars: 10 out of 10

[​IMG]

Rock on!! And live large!!!!

Edit: I added some more info to the review.
    Edit Edit: I added my usual end review pictures to Soundwave's review because I forgot.

11. Dremare

Blackarachnia review

I'll get to the Octane later, I have a review that I made a couple weeks ago.

Blackarachnia Review:

Vehicle/Beast/Alt. Mode:

[​IMG]

Blackarachnia, as you can see, is a spider. A rather nice-looking spider, better than her old toy. Besides the blatant robot hands, this makes one convincing spider mode if she wasn't a size of a humanoid robot truck.

[​IMG]

Now we move to the backside (Ba-dum Ching!). Notice the odd grapnel hook on her butt. Nothing like a grapnel hook on your butt.

[​IMG]

If you're looking at Blackarachnia from the side, you can't tell if she's a robot or just a giant spider attraction for a museum.

[​IMG]

From the top, Blackarachnia has a small hourglass-shape on a panel, which means the type of spider she is is a black widow. But it's rather small, so you may not notice if you don't pay attention to details like that. Also you can see her Decepticon symbol, which is gold unlike the purple in the show. But who am I to judge?

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

Here she is,in her robot mode. Notice that two of her spider eyes are, um.... Never mind. Her mandibles make up part of her stomach, which is nice, and that the extra spider legs fold up nicely behind her arms, instead of them just hanging there, hindering her shoulder articulation. On her um, pelvis, she has the same black widow markings, and some red vents beside the mark too. Her head also shares the black widow mark, plus four eyes to match her spider mode, and that the back of her head is entirely made of light piping. Her feet are high heeled, and her colors blend well together. But unlike her character depiction, her lips aren't a darker purple. Because of that, it appears that she has no mouth, and instead she has a mouth plate.

[​IMG]

Side view. She has a curve to her back, like most of the Animated Transformers (I only have Soundwave besides her, but from all of the review I've seen of the Animated Transformers, they all have a curved stance).

[​IMG]

Back view. She has a giant hole in her back, which you can see more from the front because of her double neck.

[​IMG]

Now, I have something else to say about Blackarachnia. Her wrists are unable to move like normal hands, so when you bend her elbow, her hands look like this:

[​IMG]

But you can't move her wrists anymore than moving a mountain. I wish that Hasbro had made her hands move like normal Transformer hands. But you can make her cross her arms.

[​IMG]

"Hmph!"

Now, her arms are her middle spider legs, and to make her arms look like robot arms you swivel the spider leg part around. But you can make her spider leg parts arm blades, like this:

[​IMG]

Nifty, isn't it?

Now, the extra spider legs can do this to imitate her power imitation abilities:

[​IMG]

Now that's also cool.

Now, if you're wondering what to do to the grapnel hook? Well, you can do this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Now I prefer to not have Blackarachnia use her grapnel hook on her wrist because it's clunky-looking, and I think the grapnel hook on her back like that is silly looking, but it's better than it having it on the wrist. But when I'm not using the grapnel hook I put it on her back like this:

[​IMG]

It covers the hole in her back well, and you can't see through her chest now.

My Final Thoughts:

I personally like this toy, but like everything else, I have some pro's and con's.

Pro's:
    • Great Spider mode
    • Nice colors
    • Nice way to place her extra spider legs
    • Agreeable price range
    • Better-looking than BW Blackarachnia

Con's:
    • Hands don't move like normal Transformer hands
    • Her high heels make it difficult to make her stand
    • If you don't like Animated
    • If you're a G1 purist

Overall, I think Blackarachnia is a fine buy for you.

Stars: 9.5 out of 10

[​IMG]

You don't chose Blackarachnia, Blackarachnia doesn't chose you.

Edit: Noticed that I spelled 'high heels' as 'high hells' in the con's.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your reviews are great, some of the best I've seen for details. Well done.

The way this forum is organized is by toy rather than by reviewer. If you want a lot of people to see your reviews, you'll need to post them in the existing thread for that toy; unfortunately, a lot of people will miss them by putting them all in one thread like this. Also, the moderators may ask you not to do it this way (not sure).

Regardless, nice job on the reviews.

13. Dremare

Damn it!!! Does anyone post reviews in the Transformers Toy Discussion?

14. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Yes, but then they get punted here. Just post them in the existing threads. I personally usually go to them for full reviews as opposed to a 2-second blurb about what's awesome or why it sucks and that person wants their money back.

Good stuff so far. You may have convinced me to give BA a second chance.

15. Dremare

Cool. Didn't know that.

For those of you who want to read my Octane review. I decided not to post it here, because I don't want to repost it again.

Edit: I decided to just redo the Octane Review again. Because I don't want to get in trouble for having a thread posted in the wrong forum.

16. Dremare

Octane Review 3.0

I'm not joking. I had to make this review three times. This one's better than the old ones I have made because it follow the new format I have taken.

On to the review, again!

Octane/Tankor Review 3.0:

Plane Mode:

[​IMG]

The plane mode's decent enough, better than his truck mode, which I will get to later. The main color of plane mode is white with black, purple and blue paint applications. Unlike most planes nowadays (at least I don't see any plane with propellers), Octane's plane mode uses four propellers. They actually operate like real propellers (put them next to a air conditioner and they can spin like crazy).

[​IMG]

The front of plane mode. You can notice that his guns are placed on the wings which I think is a bad idea. I won't want the gun placed on the wings where they might blow up. The nose/cockpit of plane mode is rather nice, looks like a plane enough.

[​IMG]

The side view of plane mode.You can also notice that he has a gap on the bottom. The wings are probably the ones with the most paint applications than the entire toy has. Nothing to complain about.

[​IMG]

Until you get to this. You can notice that his tail end is his truck cab for truck mode. This is one of the things that will drive you off the edge of your mind if you are crazy for realistic vehicle modes.

[​IMG]

Close up of tail end.

[​IMG]

If you notice, the bottom of the plane has for truck wheels, which will drive you to the abyss of your mind. Come on, the guy's a Triple-Changer. Give him a break.

Truck Mode:

[​IMG]

Ah, truck mode of Octane. It's nice, if you ask me. Most of the white disappears and is replaced by silver. More black appears in the form of his wheels and between the front four wheels and the back four wheels.

[​IMG]

The front of truck mode is pulled off quite nicely, and looks better than it does at the end of plane mode.

[​IMG]

The side view of truck mode. You can't see anything plane like here. Isn't that nice?

[​IMG]

And the back- OH MY GOD! Someone call Ani-Prowl and Uni-Prowl! Someone has made the halves of the cockpit noticeable!! No one should suffer through this!! :lol  This is actually one of the few disappointing looks about Octane. I'd put down the propellers at the bottom of truck cab, but no one goes under the truck cab, do they?

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

The robot mode combines both of the vehicle modes quite nicely, and is better than the original toy. The colors blend in nicely. The annoying thing about Octane's robot mode is his wing kibble. It keeps flopping around when I play with him, and it gets in the way of his shoulder articulation. By the way, his arms have four points of articulation each, his legs two points, and his head one point. The head's articulation is very limited, because the head is in a small hole that makes it unable to move 360 degrees.

[​IMG]

The side view of Octane. Nothing here to say about it.

[​IMG]

The back view of Octane. He has a butt flap, which is weird to me. And a small hole which really can't be seen at all, unlike Blackarachnia's hole.

[​IMG]

The gun is..... Odd. The guns are cool to dual wield, but instead, you have to stack one on the other. I call this ridiculous gun the 'quad-cannon'. It's stupid really, I wonder way they give him that. It'd would have better if they give him a different gun.

[​IMG]

Now having the guns like this is better than his silly-looking 'quad-cannon'. But then you can't use the real weapon of Octane!

[​IMG]

The melee blade!! One of the most massive Deluxe weapons I have ever saw! This weapon has been bashed, being called the 'death comb' which is shared by Cybertron Megatron/Galvatron, the 'comb of death', and many more. But it's better than a silly 'quad-cannon'.

[​IMG]

Heck, the melee blade is taller than Octane himself! Isn't that cool? He is one of the only toys I have ever seen who's shorter than his weapon!!

My Final Thoughts:

Octane is a fairly cool toy, and may be the Octane toy that those G1 fans have been waiting for!! But here are some pro's and con's.

Pro's:
    • The colors blend well together
    • The vehicle modes are fairly convincing
    • The head resembles the old G1 toy
    • His weapon is bigger than he is
    • It's a Triple-Changer

Con's:
    • If you don't like Triple-Changers, don't get this guy
    • The quad-cannon is very silly
    • If you only buy realistic Transformers, then this guy will drive you to the end of your mental health
    • Head has very limited articulation

Other then the con's that I have listed, Octane is a good choice to buy.

Stars: 9.5 out of 10

[​IMG]

"Buy me, or I pinch you!!"

17. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hah! finally in the correct forum. nice pixs & very detailed review, Dreamare. don't let others what others said let you down. we're all trying to help each other here.

Anyway hope to see more reviews from you soon. :) 

18. Dremare

Yeah, but don't expect the reviews to be like a weekly thing. Sure, I'll review a old Transformer toy I have, but don't expect the newer toys every week or so.

19. Dremare

Universe/Classics 2.0 Prowl Review

Hi everyone!! Guess what, I'm not dead, and I have another review!! This time of the Universe/Classics 2.0 Prowl!!

P.S. I was at Austin for the weekend, so the review takes place in a hotel room.

Prowl Review:

Vehicle Mode:

[​IMG]

It's a pretty nice vehicle mode. The front and back of vehicle mode is pretty solid, but the middle is hollow to allow him to transform into robot mode.

[​IMG]

Front view of vehicle mode. Nice really, better than what I have seen before in Octane.

[​IMG]

Back view. Not really much to say about it. Nothing special.

[​IMG]

Bird's eye view of vehicle mode. Very meh to me. I liked it better when the light bar was rectangular. The swept-back light bar makes me feel like that this is a different character than the Prowl I know. Shame.

[​IMG]

The bottom of vehicle mode. Wished that they made his head more hidden than it is. Also, mine tends to eject his acid gun/pea shooter more.

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

What can I say about this figure in robot mode?..... I know! I hate it. While it is truthful to the original Prowl, the robot mode looked better on the pictures I have seen of him. His gun is too small to me. It has two modes: shoot-himself mode and shoot-other people mode. It's more of a gigantic robotic pea shooter to me than a real gun.

[​IMG]

Front view of Prowl. The head is higher than his shoulders. God, it looks ugly. The legs are also too stubby for me.

[​IMG]

The side view of Prowl. There's a gap here, the arm's just blocking it. Sorry.

[​IMG]

The back of Prowl. Nothing special here. The legs have big gaps in them though.

Now here's something that I like about Prowl: his shoulder cannons!!

[​IMG]

While the shoulder cannons have never been used in the cartoon, Prowl has them because Bluestreak/Silverstreak and Smokescreen has them, and Prowl shared a mold with them before. They're nice, but not enough to make me change my mind about Prowl entirely.

My Final Thoughts:

Prowl isn't impressive, and plus, the paint applications on him is shabby. I mean, they should have painted him white to hide the small splotches the paint applications made. But here are the pro's and con's:

Pro's:
    • A G1 character that looks more like the original G1 character model than anyone else.

Con's:
    • Shabby paint.
    • Swept-back light bar should have been rectangular.
    • The white plastic should have been painted white to hide splotches.
    • Gun is too small, and looks too much like a pea shooter.
    • Head's higher than shoulders.

If you're on a budget for 2008 Universe toys, Prowl is the one you should overlook. He's not worth the 10 dollars you pay for him, 13 if you bought him from KB Toys, who overcharged the 2008 Universe and Animated toys.

Stars: 7.5 out of 10

[​IMG]

"Sir, I need to confiscate your over-sized guitar."
    "Make me, prick!!"

20. Dremare

Hey everyone!! I survived Hurricane Ike!! And I have three new reviews that will be up soon. Here are the next Transformers I will be reviewing: Galvatron, Sunstreaker, and Oil Slick.