Dreamwave Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by bennydeckersac, Dec 4, 2011.

1. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started a thread about the Classic Transformers comics to get some opinions on whether or not they would be good to get into... and I am going for it (US and UK).

I have picked up all of the IDW comics up to the most recent ongoing trade, through IDW collection books and trades. I have enjoyed most of it (Heart of Darkness... eh).

Now for my "final frontier"... Dreamwave! I have the War Within Omnibus and liked it. I'm not completely sold on the DW art samples I have seen ( example from the wiki: http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/2/2d/DWPrimewhatthe.jpg ). How is the art overall? How is the story? Is it worth getting?

Also (this came up in a thread about Hearts of Steel), is there a cheap way to get the Dreamwave comics?

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I followed the Dreamwave G1 limited series and the cancelled ongoing. Personally, while the art from Pat Lee could be hit and miss, you could see the enthusiasm in his work. The stories were a bit more focused. The first two limited series focused on the TFs return and the Autobots adjustment to a world where they were missing for years. The ongoing featured Don Figueroa whose art was significantly better. The storyline ended abruptly though, due to DW's bankruptcy. A lot of people have cited that the DW writing was more faithful to the classic characterizations, and the designs were as well. Overall they're decent comics, but to the generation of readers who caught them when they first came out, they were awesome, the first TF comcs since Marvel, and the art during the time reflected a more Japanese nfluence, and less the clunky artwork from the old comics. It's an interesting look at the beginnings of some now more reknowned artists like Guido Guidi ( who did covers) and Don who became a big name after earning cred from his online custom comics.

3. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like Star Saber, I found the art hit and miss at times, but the stories were thought out and well told IMHO. The first 2 minis were great, and the ongoing had some great potential. I wish they were able to continue it longer.

If you need help with some of the back issues, let me know, I have a spare set of Vol #1 and #2 for sale.

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overall, the art was fairly good, although there were some notable low points, such as the Micromasters mini-series. And even Pat Lee's art, which people were fairly happy with at the time of the first miniseries, looks really bad compared to the work done by Don Figueroa, Guido Guidi and others later on.

As far as the writing, the first miniseries is quite weak, IMO. A number of the TFs are acting out of character or just flat-out stupid (particularly one of the deaths), the plot isn't very good and there are a few instances where it's trying too hard to be 'mature'. The second miniseries was a dramatic improvement, took some neat directions and started laying the foundation for what looked to be a very interesting long-term storyline. The ongoing series did a fairly good job continuing that, but suffered from introducing tons of new questions and plot threads and never answering or resolving anything. While that's due to the company going under, the ongoing was still juggling more plates at once than it should have been. Reading the series also requires a very high tolerance for fan wank and intrusive Easter eggs, because the ongoing is packed with it. I think that's part of the reason the DW ongoing still gets as much love as it does, because of the "hey, they referenced that thing from the cartoon!" factor. The More Than Meets the Eye G1 profile books that accompanied the DW series aren't to be missed, though.

Getting the DW run might be tricky. The ongoing was never collected in TPB, as far as I'm aware, and the trade of the second miniseries is long out of print. The TPB of the first miniseries was available on Amazon, last I checked.

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

Don, Guido, and especially Makoto usually produced pretty good art even if was hurt by the story or coloring. Just be forewarned there's alot of squatting, dull surprise, and shattered glass-metal. Oh, one more thing, steer clear of the GI-Joe vs TransFormers crossover. It make the last few issues of IDW (the Chaos and Heart of Darkness junk) look easy-to-follow and well-written.

6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Largely agree with Scantron's assessment. I thought the ongoing was just about hitting it's stride when the axe fell... but there were a lot of ideas being tossed out (perhaps too many). Enjoyed War Within... didn't care for the first mini or Micro Masters. Enjoyed Don's art (especially when it wasn't too Pat Lee-y) and was in awe that my favorite TF fan-artist had made it to the big time.

Armada comic was pretty weak untill SF came onboard... and even then it's was merely okay. I probably just bought it to support the brand... a mistake I wouldn't make today.

7. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    how is it hard to follow? its just all pitch black pages, you just keep flipping thru them

i mean here's a sample page from that mini

[​IMG]

see, not hard to follow :p 

8. DJW107PRIME

DJW107PRIME Autobot Hero TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I loved DW ongoing & first mini's got me reading comics after a 4yr hiatus. I still feel like their ongoing had the most potential.

9. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yeah that was a waste. Don Fig on art and a nice plot building up. We definitely don't get anything close to that with IDW right now.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

I think I found it actually easier to read it in B&W pencils than the final colored version, which is a shame, because it had some really neat concepts, a pretty decent story, and some cool re-imaginings of the Transformers.

For the life of me I cant remember where I found the pencils, either. The pocket version, maybe?

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I miss DW TF's and its art. :( 
    Even tho a lot of time the characters were out of scale, they were nicely drawn and detailed.

And I for one loved that "fractured glass" metal look.

12. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I think a lot of the scale problems were largely Pat Lee's when they launched because they couldn't figure out what they wanted exactly at first. I think Don and Guido Guidi later on were much better at managing scale.

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I liked Dreamwave's stories better than IDW's. It was written in a way that it could have been a gap filler between seasons 2 and the movie. It combined the best of the Marvel and cartoon versions. Many of the characterizations were dead on. I'd buy a IDW series that picked up where it left off and used the same writers. If they can do it with the old Marvel series, why can't they do it with dreamwave?

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Intereting, that's one of the reasons I was lukewarm on the Dreamwave output for the most part. Mostly just cartoon fanwankery, with characters literally quoting themselves from TFTM, other characters gushing over "in-jokes" (term applied loosely) like that whole dreadful "Enter the Nightbird" bit ("hey, readers, aren't we clever?!?") and writers that couldn't see beyond the 1980s cartoon and assumed that's all fans wanted to see.

Having said all that, Chris Sarracini put in a bit of effort, and I did like DW's "Armada/Energon" run (this coming from a G1 fan who has never seen the Armada cartoon and only experienced the series through the comic... and the UK exclusive Panini version!)

15. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm not a fan of Dreamwave's house style for their artists, and that self proclaimed superstar artist Pat Lee. I hated the round robot parts he drew, the ridiculous panel lines he drew and the cracks on the Transformers. He was trying to make drawing Transformers more complicated than it needed to be. I think every artist from DW no longer draws in the house style except Figueroa. The problems with the house style have been minimized in his recent artwork but they're still there.

16. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:

The Armada comic was 20 times better than the cartoon.
    Much of the cartoon fanwankery went away during the G1 ongoing as they focused more on character and story. Optimus and Megatron were mostly absent by that time and I didn't really care. The rest of the characters were so well used. Unlike IDW the story seemed to be slowly building up and and going somewhere. Also every thing the characters did made sense given their personalities. They didn't do 180's and leave you confused as to why. Sadly the ongoing never got trade paper backed.

17. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    All right, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I'll be the one to say it.

In addition to his dodgy art style, Pat Lee is a despicable crook who shouldn't be still getting work yet still is for some unfathomable reason.

18. bennydeckersac

bennydeckersac Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there any way IDW would release the DW minis and (what was released of the) ongoing? They did it with the War Within omnibus.

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Yes Pat Lee is a crook, he's a horrible person,he should either pay up what he owes, or be locked away, But like with the corporate bankers who caused many recent problems it seems unlikely he will ever get what is coming to him, as last we heard he'd run from his debt collectors away to China. He's a scam artist and a fraud,but he had little to do with the plot or art on the ongoing. That was the writers and artists he didn't pay and what he did doesn't diminish the quality of their writing and art. If anything their work should be praised more as they kept going, kept drawing and writing stories,because they liked the characters for a long time without getting paid for their work. The sad part is much of their work 10 or more issues or great art and well written stories have never been collected in a trade so many people haven't seen their work. They should release a trade and the artists and writers should get part of the proceeds.

20. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they've released everything they are legally allowed to/interested in doing (due to incompleteness of storyline I expect).

So it looks like Energon #24-30, War Within #1-3, Ongoing #0-10, Micromasters #1-4, Summer Special (have I missed any?) are the domain of single issues.

I think they could re-release the GI Joe WWII crossover if they wanted to (as DW already released it in TPB and it was from earlier in the DW-lifetime before problems came to a head), but they don't seem bothered about doing so.