Dreamwave questions

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Wheeljack30, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Wheeljack30

Wheeljack30 Banned

Since Dreameave went out of buisness, and it hasn't finished publishing it's last issue, did IDW took over? what happened?

2. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    the Dreamwave storylines ceased when Dreamwave went under. IDW picked up the license and began their own seperate continuity :) 

3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    And are doing a much better job of it overall. Recently went back and reread the Dreamwave stuff... man, those were (on the whole) some crappily written comics. Even the war within series has been surpassed by IDWs more... considered approach to pre war/earl war Cybertron.

4. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

IDW took over and made their own continuity.

I like Dreamwave and wish someone could bring them back and their continuity and all their comics.

5. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely this. The fanwankery of Dreamwave's output is long gone, thankfully.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What happened was that Hasbro owns the rights to Transformers. They license out those rights to comic companies to produce their comics. So Dreamwave had the license and then it went under, effectively leaving noone with the license to draw Transformers comics, except for Devil's Due, who I think still had a limited license for TF/GI Joe crossover comics at that point (I'm not sure). So then a little while later Hasbro gave/sold the license to IDW, and they've been producing stuff since.

In terms of could IDW continue Dreamwave stories? Sure, they could, they basically DID with the Beast Wars comics. However, it's somewhat complicated. Dreamwave as an entity may have rights to it's own work, which now may be the property of Pat "PAY YOUR STAFF" Lee's newer company, Dream Engine, I'm not sure. Or possibly the rights to all that work returned to Hasbro. Or maybe it's somewhere in the middle, and Hasbro bought the rights to some of the pieces before Dreamwave went under, which would explain all the merchandise that came out in the mid-late 2000s with Dreamwave art on it. It could be that IDW can reprint or redo none, some, or all Dreamwave works, I don't know if anyone knows for sure outside of them. Josh would know far better than I would, obviously.

In terms of continuing dreamwave stories, I know for a fact that some of the writers have refused to do so, or even to reveal what the stories would have been, until they are paid what they are owed for their work. So it could be complicated to restart those same storylines, and in many ways, it might be more worthwhile for IDW to just start from scratch, as they did with their interpretation G1.

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Furman has posted the plots for his unreleased issues. McDonough and Patyk refuse to reveal their planned storylines until they are paid what they're owed.

8. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Soooo they're taking them to their graves?

How does that punish (the admittedly deserving loads of punishment) Pat Lee.

-ZacWilliam, I mean, yes they deserve what they were swindled out of, but not letting the fans know where things were going hurts everyone EXCEPT Pat Lee, who Probably doesn't even remember their names.

9. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe they are hoping some transfan will pay them.

I liked their run, but not enough to exchange money for spoilers.

10. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    i believe they said that the reason they're not sharing is because they wanted to keep their story ideas for potential future use in other projects, or something of that nature

There are issues that are in various stages of completion [a few done and some half-done] but they'll never see the light of day because technically, i think, Hasbro doesnt own them. And the reason they dont is because they hadnt "bought" them yet [meaning, creators were never paid by Dreamwave so the work we all done is still technically ours, i suppose. im not really well versed in all the legal technicalities and what it all means but thats just what i make of it :p ]

anything published and paid for is owned by Hasbro and yeah, if IDW wanted they could reprint those [and they have] and i suppose if they REALLY wanted they could have picked up where the last published issue left off.

But when IDW picked up the license they decided to start their own continuity partially because they wanted to distance themselves from that whole Dreamwave situation at the end. New storyline, new art style, NOT dreamwave. [heck i had to come at IDW with a whole new coloring style in order to get on some books because they didnt want the dreamwave look. i got turned down at first because all i had to show for myself was the dreamwave look :p ]

but yeah. Its just one of those unfortunate things. I doubt we'll ever see, in any official capacity, where those storylines were going to end and thats just something everyone will have to live with.

[maybe somebody like Matt can chime in, or you can ask him, and he'll explain it better (seeing as he was closest to it all)]

11. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW has reprinted Dreamwave comics though. At least some of them. IP Licensing is weird.

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    They have reprinted the ones that had already been officially published. They didn't publish previously unpublished stories.

13. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would be why I used the word reprinted ;) 

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    I wish they had released The Sunstorm Saga as a trade and what was released of the Ongoing.

Dreamwave's comics were getting better with each new issue.