Dreamwave appreciation thread!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AmonDemon112, Jan 12, 2014.

1. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Despite Pat Lee's epic assholery, I really miss Dreamwave. I liked their stories better, and I loved Don Figueroa's artwork SO MUCH, errrrrrgghhhh!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  2. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    After all these years I still feel the same...

I finally fixed all the pics in the 1st page!!!

So funny seeing this art and back in 2004, I badly wanted updated toys like that. Lo and behold Masterpiece and 3rd party Masterpiece! Even though Don Figueroa's Optimus Prime in g1 ongoing volume 3 was based off of the original Mp-01!

• Like Like x 1
  3. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    Don Figueroa and the ongoing g1 Volume 3 is still my absolute favorite to this day! THE BEST OF TRANSFORMERS COMICS! I'd LOVE to see more and what happened next! Though Guido Guidi wouldve been taking over the art from #12 on though Don Figueroa would've still done the cover art like that Cyclonus I shared on the first page!

• Like Like x 1
  4. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Amen, man. It's a goddamn crime that Don Figueroa was driven out of TF comics. :-(

• Like Like x 3
  5. osenator

osenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the very same and agree with everything mentioned. IDW never captured the love I had for Dreamwave tfs comics. I miss Don and Simon very much.

• Like Like x 2
  6. moonDUST

moonDUST Member

Instagram:
    My first post on the Board after years of lurking.

It always amazes me that the Dreamwave comics as a whole get so much unfair negative feedback because of what Lee did. I am glad that there is at least a select group of fans that can look past that and appreciate the comics for what they were.

For me Dreamwave did exactly what the cartoon did way back in the 80s: it made Transformers look cool. It didn't focus on the humans too much. The perspective was always with the bots (well apart from the first the Sarracini arc).

I love the dynamic manga style artwork Dreamwave introduced. Especially Don's work. Like others said his work on the ongoing G1 comic was phenomenal. I was hugely disappointed when IDW started. It felt like such a step down. IDW won me over a bit with the years, but I stil feel art-wise they haven't topped Dreamwave yet. I guess IDW isn't G1 enough for me. I hardly recognise certain characters in the current comics.

I also was a huge fan of the writing direction of McDonough and Patyk. I preferred it to what Furman was doing at that time. They had a Bendis slow paced style of narrating. Giving the bots nice little bits of banter here and there. I think they wrote the best G1 Starscream and Prowl to date. The twins came to life, the pairing of Ironhide and Prowl worked really well, etc. Lots of good things to say about them. It's a shame they completely vanished from the scene. I'd really love to see them finish their storyline.

Hasbro would never allow it, but if there was some kickstarter project to gather the funds needed (and if the creators were willing to finish their story) I'd pay a lot for it (as long as it's not a Pat Lee kickstart ;-))

Anyways just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Don was the man. He designed my favorite Optimus Prime toy basically. There never was a better Optimus design (although the kibble on the actual toy could have been better).

• Like Like x 2