Dreamwave appreciation thread!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AmonDemon112, Jan 12, 2014.

1. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Despite Pat Lee's epic assholery, I really miss Dreamwave. I liked their stories better, and I loved Don Figueroa's artwork SO MUCH, errrrrrgghhhh!!!!

• Like Like x 5
  2. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    After all these years I still feel the same...

I finally fixed all the pics in the 1st page!!!

So funny seeing this art and back in 2004, I badly wanted updated toys like that. Lo and behold Masterpiece and 3rd party Masterpiece! Even though Don Figueroa's Optimus Prime in g1 ongoing volume 3 was based off of the original Mp-01!

• Like Like x 1
  3. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Don Figueroa and the ongoing g1 Volume 3 is still my absolute favorite to this day! THE BEST OF TRANSFORMERS COMICS! I'd LOVE to see more and what happened next! Though Guido Guidi wouldve been taking over the art from #12 on though Don Figueroa would've still done the cover art like that Cyclonus I shared on the first page!

• Like Like x 1
  4. greboguru

greboguru Psychedelic Brainchild

Amen, man. It's a goddamn crime that Don Figueroa was driven out of TF comics. :-(

• Like Like x 4
  5. osenator

osenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the very same and agree with everything mentioned. IDW never captured the love I had for Dreamwave tfs comics. I miss Don and Simon very much.

• Like Like x 2
  6. moonDUST

moonDUST Active Member

Instagram:
    My first post on the Board after years of lurking.

It always amazes me that the Dreamwave comics as a whole get so much unfair negative feedback because of what Lee did. I am glad that there is at least a select group of fans that can look past that and appreciate the comics for what they were.

For me Dreamwave did exactly what the cartoon did way back in the 80s: it made Transformers look cool. It didn't focus on the humans too much. The perspective was always with the bots (well apart from the first the Sarracini arc).

I love the dynamic manga style artwork Dreamwave introduced. Especially Don's work. Like others said his work on the ongoing G1 comic was phenomenal. I was hugely disappointed when IDW started. It felt like such a step down. IDW won me over a bit with the years, but I stil feel art-wise they haven't topped Dreamwave yet. I guess IDW isn't G1 enough for me. I hardly recognise certain characters in the current comics.

I also was a huge fan of the writing direction of McDonough and Patyk. I preferred it to what Furman was doing at that time. They had a Bendis slow paced style of narrating. Giving the bots nice little bits of banter here and there. I think they wrote the best G1 Starscream and Prowl to date. The twins came to life, the pairing of Ironhide and Prowl worked really well, etc. Lots of good things to say about them. It's a shame they completely vanished from the scene. I'd really love to see them finish their storyline.

Hasbro would never allow it, but if there was some kickstarter project to gather the funds needed (and if the creators were willing to finish their story) I'd pay a lot for it (as long as it's not a Pat Lee kickstart ;-))

Anyways just my thoughts.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Don was the man. He designed my favorite Optimus Prime toy basically. There never was a better Optimus design (although the kibble on the actual toy could have been better).

• Like Like x 3
  8. MasterScale

MasterScale Well-Known Member

Which OP is that? Also, did he do the 'Rolling Thunder' OP design that TFC is doing?

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Classics Optimus Prime.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MasterScale

I didn't realize that was him - thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

I can't believe so many people hate the art style, it's awesome! A while ago, I was able to purchase the first issues, with some gaps in between, and I loved it! I liked the artwork and the story appealed to me. It sucks that they went bankrupt, and it sucks that they're impossible to find now.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Cautious Optimist

So...where should I start?

Keep in mind, I'm not going to immediately buy stuff and read it...just for future reference. I don't really like IDW, and I figured this is the best place to ask this question. This thread may not be unbiased about Dreamwave's Transformers, but still; I want some opinions. What's the start, what's the best, and what's good to avoid?

• Like Like x 2
  13. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Hey there, G1 series Vol 2 'War and Peace"! Perfect place to start! It's issues 1-6, and then the story goes to Vol 3 with #0, then went on to issue #10!
    So yeah, G1 Vol. 2 issue #1 is where I'd start :)  then I'd say if you end up reading both Vol 2 and 3, then I'd say delve into Vol 1 #1-6. And then the War Within series which was what established the whole Cybertronian looks and stories for the Transformers franchise since.
    Hope this helps :) 

• Like Like x 1
  14. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Wow! I'm loving all these recent comments on here! This is why I created this thread years ago. There's never been another one like it before. I wanted a place where Dreamwave fans like myself can come together!
    I love hearing others enthusiasm for it!
    Also feel free to recreate scenes with your toys! Especially Masterpiece! :) 

15. moonDUST

moonDUST Active Member

Instagram:
    I'd start with War and peace too followed by vol 3. It feels so classic G1. Idw isn't bad I think, but it feels more 'generations' than G1. Anyhow enjoy the Dreamwave ride.

• Like Like x 2
  16. MasterScale

The art style is great - I'm surprised to hear that there are people that don't like it. There is one Dreamwave volume that IDW re-published if you are interested - it was DW's take on a GI Joe/Transformers crossover. It has a much different art style (though I kind of like it), and it's set in a WWI themed universe. Now that I think about it, I'm kind of surprised that IDW hasn't released more of DW's stuff in bound volumes.

Edit: I forgot, I saw DW's War Within series in a volume under IDW as well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I wonder if it's some sort of rights thing that prevents them, or do they think there's no demand right now?

18. MasterScale

I honestly have no idea. I was just thinking that maybe they don't want newcomers to get confused as to artists/timelines, etc. I seem to recall that IDW got the rights to DW's stuff, so presumably that would include DW's 'Generation One' stuff.

19. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW did reprint the trades for G1 v1/v2 and War Within v1/v2. But that was over a decade ago. They didn't reprint the later stuff because some of the people who worked on it never got paid.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was a fan of the WWI series, actually they were the only TF comics I ever bought. It was Don's art that pushed me over the fence to pick these up. Heck if he was still drawing TF's I'd probably be in on the new comics too.

• Like Like x 2