Dreamwave appreciation thread!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AmonDemon112, Jan 12, 2014.

1. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's an awesome shot TC just like the cover! After the War and Peace mini-series was over and after we saw Magnus shed out his armor, I was eagerly wanting to read that Magnus/Prime cover storyline. As a huge Armor UM fan, I was very impatient when I saw that cover. Such as shame PatLee screwed up everything.

DW comic also brought me back to TF. Love Don DW TF drawing til this day, very detailing to the vent on the TF hands. Never get tired of his drawing even today. Mick and Adam were my favorite writers too.

2. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I'll admit. The more I read about Dreamwave the more I wish it didn't get cancelled. If I only had a time machine...

3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

From what I hear, I don't think a time machine would solve anything.

4. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    If only...

5. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Sure Dreamwave had its quirks but I liked what they were building. It's clear they were building up to something epic.

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I've been thinking about reading some of their stories, but I realized if I hate them, I've wasted my time and money, and if I like them, I'll be sad I'll never know how the story ends. It's impossible to win.

7. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

War with in is great and rightfully so has had a big impact on the franchise.

I liked the idea that the Season 3 autobots where a gurrella team on cybertron druing season 1 and 2

8. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING ON HERE! that is incredible! I appreciate it a lot my friend!

ME TOO my friend! I remember back then seeing advertisements for this 2004 Datatracks issue and awaiting it! just from the cover, I'm going to assume that Optimus and Magnus were battling Sixshot. my assumption comes from the unreleased art by Guido Guidi for issue 12 in which Optimus Prime ventures alone to find Alpha Trion and Sixshot discovering Blitzwing's remains in issue 10.
    Don Figueroa's art for Dreamwave is absolutely divine! back then i badly wanted toys just like Don Figueroa's art and how Masterpiece perfectly resembles them!
    and yes James 'Brad Mick' McDonough and Adam Patyk were an incredible team! and major underated writer in the tf community. they did such a grand job making the characters sounding like their cartoon voice actors! the g1 Ongoing vol 3 run are my absolute grails in TF story telling! theres so much detail to this day! its great going back and seeing how perfectly they nailed references to the cartoon and other tf fiction back then

You are telling me! I was beyond bummed the day I went to my local comic book store and the owner told me Dreamwave went bankrupt... Comics have never been the same since for me...

That was brilliant! and furthermore that it turned out that Arcee was a spy for the Quintessons which we didn't get to see

9. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone for all the love and positive thoughts and comments you have been sharing on this thread!

For those not familiar, I posted extensively about all the unreleased art and stories of what was to be for Dreamwave's Transformers. Simon Furman released scripts for his unpublished works of g1 ongoing issue 14, War Within: Age of Wrath, Energon and Beast Wars. Here's the link where all the unpublished Dreamwave comics can be found!
    Unreleased Dreamwave issues - Transformers Wiki

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nubs

Nubs Master-D

I realize I'm necrobumping, but I just finished reading Dreamwave's Armada series (also started reading vol. 1 of the IDW collection of Energon, but both the lack of an ending or a vol. 2 are certain to leave a bad taste in my mouth).

It was a really good series. Granted, the kids strangely going from being 8 years old to about 12 in-between issues was weird, but I liked that they were childish and quirky, but not in the awful anime way they were in the cartoon. I also loved that the Mini Cons had their own personalities. Hell, even Overload got to actually do stuff! Stuff which never involved combining with Optimus.

I just wish the Star Saber team had a bit more focus. They were really amusing in their debut issue, but they didn't really express themselves a whole lot after that. In fact, while the series as a whole was pretty good, the best parts were the early-days Cybertron bits, and the Worlds Collide arc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. grimlock78

grimlock78 Well-Known Member

I miss Dreamwave....it was so classic but yet so new.....IDW stuff is good but they take it too far and characters don't seem the same to me

12. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

Why does Figueroa not draw for IDW?

13. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    He did, but he's disappeared really.

14. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
  15. NemesisJazz

NemesisJazz Well-Known Member

I felt strongly about the DW verse. I think to me, it had a true g1 feel to it. I mean cmon, who can ever forget Prime when he blasted Devys head????

The big turn off for me for IDW is some of the art. I hate non rectangular noses and robot teeth.

• Like Like x 1
  16. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Apart from the Roberts and Furman stuff Idw hasn't been a patch on Dreamwave.

Sunstreaker was a bad ass, Prowl wasn't a prick, Thunderwing hasn't been reduced to a mindless drone and Scorponok wasn't a two dimensional mad scientist.

Dreamwave and the G1reissues got me back collecting. It was nice to get a new but respectful to the old ways interpretation of G1.

No stylised no nose, hair sporting abominations back then. Well apart from the awful cliché Alpha Trion.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  18. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

Yeah,I have to admit that I never felt as bad as about Transformers comics as I did during the AHM era. I, for the first time in my life, gave up on TF comics during that debacle.

RID and MTMTE are obviously much better than AHM.

I would say that the best of IDW is better than the best of Dreamwave.

However, the worst of IDW is several orders of magnitude more shite than the worst of Dreamwave.

19. Joseph Hedges

Joseph Hedges New Member

Ebay:
    Hi folks. I found this thread on a search. An old HDD failed on me and I lost my archive of the high resolution (well as high as they could be for early 2000's) of the Dreamwave art- covers, posters etc. They usually had a Hasbro stamp and copyright year in one of the corners. Does anyone happen to have a nice archive of those images they could share?
    I've found some online but it's very slow going. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  20. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    hey my friend and welcome! sorry about all the images being non apparent here since I lost them all from photobucket's recent pic sharing change. I promise Id get this thread fixed up.
    but WOW id love to see all that lovely Dreamwave art in high resolution!
    btw thanks for bumping this thread! now I feel all the motivation for fixing it up :)