Dreamwave appreciation thread!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AmonDemon112, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    That's really cool man.

2. tfiguy

tfiguy Member

Does Dreamwave sell these as posters? Because I want them all! Where do we buy? Besides over inflated ebay.

3. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Well, Dreamwave themselves aren't selling anything, because the company doesn't exist any more, but this website appears to be selling old Dreamwave-era posters/lithographs:

Transformers POSTERS & LITHOGRAPHS ::: Decepticon-Matrix.com CYBERSTORE - Transformers Litho, Transformers Lithos, Transformers Movie Poster, Pradaking Litho, Transformers IDW, Transformers Dreamwave Comics & Posters, Transformers Figures & Exclusive

No idea how reliable/reputable they are, though. Might want to look up some reviews.

4. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Dreamwave. Their era was before I became a Transformers fan. However, I remember really wanting to read the War Within to learn more about the Fallen in the lead up to ROTF. I was so excited when I found both WW and WW Dark Ages at a local book store.

They were the most poorly held together comics I've owned and they fell apart years ago so I can't remember that much. But I enjoyed them a lot. They were either the first or second TF comics I owned (Other possibility being Infiltration).

This being before WFC and Exodus, the story of the Transformers before coming to Earth was new to me and really interesting. Seeing Optimus wanting to abandon Cybertron, Grimlock convincing Autobots to turn on him... Other stuff I can't remember... Optimus and Megatron being lost in a Space Bridge accident resulting in Cybertron being split into several faction and then the Fallen coming along.

Honestly, even now that sounds interesting. In fact, more interesting than WFC or Exodus.

For ages, I preferred Optronix as Optimus' name before becoming Prime to Orion Pax. Oh and the artwork was great. Really nice to look at. I think I might agree with those who say Dreamwave had much better colouring than IDW.

5. tfiguy

tfiguy Member

Wow, does sound exciting...Sounds like a new habbit that I may have to take up :) 

6. tfiguy

tfiguy Member

Ok, Thanks man. Unfortunately, the links don't seem to work. :( 

7. Jalaguy

Jalaguy Crusadercon

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Huh, yeah, that's weird. The site seems to have gone down since I found it the other day...

8. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    Hey sorry everyone for my late reply, but thanks so much for sharing!!! Also thanks for sharing the link too! To this day i badly want that Metroplex vs Trypticon poster they did! Once again by Don Figueroa!!!
    image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Credit when credit is due..those DW comics are what got me back into TFs.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I wish the movie guys wouldve used Andrew Wildman's design for the Fallen

11. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dreamwave brought transformers back into the spotlight and the art was fantastic and fun. there were some very good stories and i enjoyed their character guides as well. they were a big part of the transformers Renaissance that we saw in the early 2000's.

12. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    SAME HERE! to this day theres nothing like it for me. the only comics i get now are the BotCon Fun Publications ones.

Actually The Fallen was designed by Pat Lee, or so they say... that Maketoys' figure is a beautiful tribute!

SAME HERE AS WELL! and how i miss those days! at least now we got Takara doing Masterpiece and 3rd parties adding to them :) 

13. Dean domino

Dean domino Well-Known Member

I just remember the first comic sold out in less then a week and I went to every comic book store to find one and the only store that had one had it marked up to twenty bucks and I bought it

14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    What I liked about Dreamwave was their colors and the fact that their art was largely consistent. They did use multiple colorists on some issues whereas the norm for most comics is just 1. I believe their internal studio was called Frozen Light.

Their art had more clarity than the early Marvel issues. However I wasn't a fan of the soft edges Pat Lee would draw because it made the transformers look soft and pliable. Also the Optimus prime he drew did not look like he could transform into a truck.

The armada and Energon books looked like better alternatives to the cartoon but I forgot how the stories were.

I did like when the artists did their own thing when they could instead of following the "house style" Pat Lee reportedly dictated. I actually prefer Alex Milne's work now on MTME compared to his Dreamwave days. Same with Guido.

Dreamwave had so much potential and it's a shame things ended the way they did.

15. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Cool! do you still have it?!

At the time when I picked up Volume 2 of the g1 series War and Peace, i was hooked! i liked Pat Lee's artwork since it was like a beefed up version of the g1 cartoon. then Don Figueroa. wow. i was obsessed with anything that had his name on it! i remember wanted toys that were EXACTLY how he drew them! and here we are with Masterpiece :)  and then i couldn't stand Pat Lee's stuff afterwards. Until now, I have a much grander appreciation for Pat Lee's work since I am not a fan of IDW art
    thats cool if thats what you like, but i prefer Alex Milne's art before his current MTMTE style which i am not feeling. Guido i still love! i really liked his retro style in Regeneration One!
    Thanks gentlemen for sharing your thoughts :) 

16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I've never read Dreamwave, but I do read about it every now and then. The art was easily the best part. And one of the last things readers saw was an awesome Combiner battle. It's such a darn shame that it had to end the way it did. I loved the profile books as well. It was very G1. And it seemed clear to me that they had plans to give it a fixed ending that we never got. Too bad the Unicron Trilogy comics couldn't get finished either. A part of me hopes that some how it'll be continued or at the very least we find out what was going to happen. But that'll never happen.

Also, Sunstreaker was going to be eventually gay? How was that going to work?

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    He'd have a conjux endura?

I know it's an IDW thing but still could work here.

18. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, he wasn't. One of the most misquoted myths about the Dreamwave comics.

19. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    As per requested

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Awesome shot bro!