Dreamwave appreciation thread!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AmonDemon112, Jan 12, 2014.

1. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    Dreamwave appreciation thread! RULES in 1st post!

Haters are gonna hate! but only POSITIVE comments of Dreamwave are allowed here! so please respect the fandom on this thread.

This here is a tribute to what i feel to this day has been the best representation of Generation One and Transformers comics! This here is the reason why I became a collector and why i absolutely love Transformers. Its been over 10 years since i picked up Transformers Vol. 2 War and Peace #1, and right then and there i was hooked! such extraordinary art and in depth storytelling! James 'Brad Mick' McDonough did an incredible job making these characters sound just like their cartoon counterparts!
    not long after i finished all 6 issues of that i was under a spell, i was hungry to read anything that had that DW on the top left corner. I delved into War Within Vol.1, then Tf/Gi Joe which then got me hooked into GI Joes! and then i frequented my local comic shops for any new Transformers comic they put out! until December 2004, when i entered my local comic shop and the owner told me the unfortunate news of Dreamwave going bankrupt...

No Transformers comics have excited me since (though i have enjoyed the majority of what Fun Publications have put out and a few from IDW like Stormbringer, Megatron Origins, Spotlight Optimus, Animated Movie, and i am enjoying Regeneration One alot!), but anything else has not been the same for me.

Its been 9 years since the unfortunate demise of Dreamwave. (yes we ALL know whose responsible but thats not what this thread is about). And lots of amazing stories were left unfinished. Everytime i reread these comics, i discover something new! And that right there is what a great comic is to me!
    and YES, anywhere there's a mere mention of Dreamwave in recent years on transformers fansites attracts hordes of naysayers which is like attempting to defend Poison or Winger on a death metal forum. Well NOT HERE!

This here is to bring together fandom like myself who truly believe in these comic! and so!
    Share what inspired you! what you loved! what was your favorite cover, artist, scene, series etc! speculate on what could've been, where all this build up in g1 was going! share pics of your dreamwave comics and posters! Share toy reenactments of Dreamwave moments!

as ive said already, this here is to focus on the positive aspects, we dont need remarks on 'marshmallow' art, or 'not good comics', 'no substance' or things that do not meet your 'high' standards of what you consider to be 'transformers comics'. if you cannot respect that, then please share your negativity elsewhere. i am not going to hop on idw fan threads and bash on them, so please show the same courtesy

ps. i will continue to edit and post more stuff!!! enjoy!
    genone-1a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    For those curious to some of the conclusions left unfinished in series like War Within: Age of Wrath, Ongoing issue #14, Energon and Beast Wars can be found here!
    Unreleased Dreamwave issues - Transformers Wiki

before news of Dreamwave's bankruptcy, i remember seeing this cover pictured on Dreamwave's Website. i was absolutely looking forward to this issue! i was eager to see Cyclonus in action! i was curious to see if along with retrieving Scourge, what would become of Devastator. this remains as one of my favorite Dreamwave covers and depiction of Cyclonus, whose one of my all time favorites (proud owner of the Henkei figure!)

Don Figueroa has got to be my all time favorite Transformers artists! There's nothing like seeing his art! such detail and homages he makes. i do miss seeing his art in comics. the last amazing work i enjoyed was Fp's Timelines: Shattered Glass! didnt care for his idw ongoing and i have yet to read his one shot War for Cybertron
    3ea68205da5d89829f0738048e061fd3.jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    and here's the 'Last Judgement by Michelangelo's version of Dreamwave Transformers art! by Don Figueroa himself!
    DW_20th_Anniversary_Lithograph_image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    They gave a start to guys who would go on to become great artists at IDW. Maybe even paid them occasionally.

The first War Within was fun at the time.

Their Armada/Energon stuff was the best fiction that continuity received.

I think that's all I can muster.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I liked their style, it reminded me of the box art from 1987 to 1989, which were my favourite Transformers.

6. Dead Rider

Dead Rider Failed Stunticon

Dreamwave's G1 was like getting my cartoon back..It was the reason i started reading comics again. I remember when it was the biggest selling comic beating Marvel and Dc, just a shame Dreamwave (Lee) messed up. Would love a continuation...The Decepticons under Meg's rule again, Autobot City getting built and Unicron on his way :) 

7. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Gas Powered Stick

Truth.

Same for me too. DW had some great posters and I liked Shidima too.

8. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    So many forget or weren't truly around then that Dreamwave was a dream come true for fans. We'd had Beast Wars and RID, but this...this was G1 and it was great. Sadly the Fandom loves an underdog and hates a winner so when the Artists came out that there was a problem on the ship the fandom was only so happy to make the situation worse. I can't recall how many people posted "Well then I'm not going to buy their comics" as somehow not giving DW money would ensure DW had money to pay their staff.

Regardless in my head DW is the basis for my Fanon and I can always imagine where it would have gone. DW G1 Vol. 1 is still some of my favorite comics and I will cherish my Dynamic Forces Hardcover till the death of my collection!

• Like Like x 1
  9. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I liked the art.

The stories not so much.

The Fallen arc does stand out though.

10. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because if Pat Lee didn't want to pay them before and spend all their money on stupid sh**, he totally would pay them later. And the sales of TF comics would magicaly double, so that he could cover for current, and past months that he didn't pay.

11. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    When the characters spoke, it felt like scatman crothers for jazz or chris latta for starscream or robert stacks for ultra magnus! It felt like a grander version of the cartoon! And well entwined with Marvel homages. For what was building up in ongoing #10, with megatron in earth and autobit city, i speculate that they wouldve done an updated version of the battle of autobit city from the movie but with Metroplex(as seen in a small diagram) and Predaking! And what about Sixshot after discovering Blitzwing's remains? And then Cyclonus coming to Earth to tear the edc a new one and recover Scourge!

Dreamwave is the source of my preferred canon too! Feel free to share all youd like for what their g1 and such were going!
    Imho after dreamwaves collapse, transformers changed so much with the recent movies, tf animated and prime, idw comics, and with all these gave rise to al these newer fans in which the above mentioned were their exposure to it for gettinfg into it. And transformers hasnt really been the same. What i have loved since dreamwaves collapse are the classic/henkei figures that first came out and the war for cybertron & fall of cybertron games. These have been grand homages to g1 imho.
    And you also commented in the other dreameave thread of megatrons origins and such in which i replied that i could see if perhaps the Fallen couldve been responsible perhaps for creating Megatrons protoform for intentions of aiding unicron in tearing Cybertron apart and eventually being Unicron's harbinger of doom lol! Just an idea, like alpha trion is to optimus prime could be the fallen creating megatron(and not like the lame rotf movie) with megatron not realizing this or his 'destiny' until he becomes Galvatron. Also for fanon sake, perhaps the g1 future in tf armada's worlds collide could possibly that ongoing g1s future lol! Besides it was the only future outcome of g1 that got published lol!

• Like Like x 1
  12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I freakin loved the place that they were taking their story. I really wish IDW would think about picking it up where it had left off. I loved Don's art work in them, too. He has a huge talent for mecha designs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Also for those curious of issue #12 of dreamwave's g1 ongoing, Chris Saracinni was to take over writing and Guido Guidi doing the art for this issue and here it is not colored and unpublished! It shows Optimus Prime emerging from the regenerating chamber and going out alone to find Alpha Trion who tells him of Unicron. It also shows Autobots working on Autobot city
    image.jpg
    Dreamwave by GuidoGuidi on deviantART

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Enjoyed pretty much all of Dreamwave except for Prime Directive and Micromasters.

Too bad Mr. Superstar Lee done fucked it up. Would've like to have seen where it was all going.

15. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    I too wasnt a fan of Prime Directive. Trailbreaker besting Grimlock? Yeah riiiiiiight... I do enjoy all the cover art even though it depicted tf's NOT in the comic! Esp issue 6 with Menasor on the cover!

When Micromasters first came out i wasnt too thrilled for it. It took me a real long time to get into it. Over time ive reread it and slowly got into it more and more. Its confusing trying to figure who is who for the first couple reads! This too i was curious to see where it was going with Scorponok's brief appearance (in which mtmte #8 said that cybertron was under the rule of the Mighty Scorponok!) and Countdown's vision

16. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Agreed!!!

17. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the first WW mini that featured Don's arc. Also Brad Mick, they certain handled female tfs better than Furman and had some cool subplots for various characters in the ongoing.

18. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

MTMTE was a fairly useful tool, and the first WW series was good as well. Also, McDonough, Patyk and Furman for writing, and some truly great artists (at least the ones who didn't have the last name Lee and draw robots as inflatable).

But Sarracini's apparent dislike of Grimlock (a traitor AND getting bitchslapped by guys not fit to carry his jock), his inability to take the time to look up the proper terminology for the nation that the story is taking place in (the American Military doesn't really use the term 'Ministry'), and his desire to make the wrong sportscar gay almost made me happy that mythos was coming to an end (especially right before Sunstreaker's 'preference' became official cannon).

But if nothing else it was proof that there was a viable demand for TF fiction. A small, upstart comic company was putting out TF titles that were outselling Marvel and DC. It was great, and while DW upper management mishandled things (most diplomatic way of putting it), it did help set the stage for the glut of material we have now. Though the current movie writers are still half-assing the scripts and the director is catering to the lowest common denominator (not expecting Shakespeare here, but Sam's mom...Leo...Simmons...the moron twins...Devastator II's balls...plot holes, as well as the various plot holes, contradictions, etc...yeah, digressing, sorry), it's still great that the mythos is thriving. And while I miss certain elements from the original storyline (4 million year nap), what IDW's done is for the most part excellent. So if for nothing else, I am grateful DW was there to get things going in a way.

That said, Pat Lee needs to eat a dick.

19. AmonDemon112

News Credits:
    Im with you 100% about Sarracini. I was not a fan of Prime Directive and before dreamwave went bankrupt, i found out he was taking over g1 ongoing, i was not looking forward to that. I absolutely loved Sunstreaker in #7 & #8! And yeah i recently discovered about being 'gay' which i found ridiculous (not that i have anything against gays) because someone who thinks highly of themselves and are into looking grand does not always mean one is gay for it. Im a prime example of that personally lol!

But yeah wasnt a fan of those movies, i mean, WHAT was the threat of the decepticons if optimus seems to be able to kill everyone with one hit!?!? Shockwave just fucking stood there waiting for optimus to kill him lol

20. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    Huh, I actually had not known this before. That would've been a shame, as I far preferred MickDonough's writing over Sarracini's.

Yeah, well, that goes without saying...

• Like Like x 1