Dream Wave Armada comics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Roanstalker, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Not sure where to put this. Just wondering if these are worth anything (Dreamwave's history and all)?

2. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    dunno mine are trashed from over reading :D  but you should be able to find a price guide online

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I don't have a price guide in front of me, but I wouldn't think that they're worth more than a dollar or so over cover. They never really fetched a high price even in DW's heyday.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I tried selling the entire DW TF run in the junkion exchange for whatever people felt like giving me for them. nobody wanted them. So I ended up just giving them away to a friend of a friend. (didnt have room for them anymore)

5. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. Seems they're not worth anything then...

6. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Unfortunately there just isn't a market for them. Some of the covers aren't bad, but I think there is a general dislike for Pat Lee. And since IDW has come onto the scene, the price for DW comics has plumetted. I'm currently selling some IDW comics (Infiltration, Escalation, Devastation) and my hopes aren't too high for those. I have lots of exclusives in the Infiltration lot, but that might not be enough.

7. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One would think the later ones might worth a little more, you know the Unicron story that had G1 Galvatron, Scourge, Bludgeon, etc

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the only dreamwave comics anyone really wants are the MTMTE books, I think.

9. Tirade

Heh, I did actually own about half of them at one time. Sold them a looooong time ago though.

Of course those comics were hard to find even when they were being released. Doesn't surprise me that they have retained some value.

10. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Determining value is all about supply and demand. In this case, supply may be fairly low, especially for the later issues, but demand is very low too. As with anything collectible, you never know when demand might rise. Another ten years, another twenty years, and those dollar books might be going for hefty amounts. Comics tend to appreciate over time. I'll have to see if there's any info out there about print runs.

11. Tirade

We'll see. The demand may one day go up for DW comics, but I won't hold my breath. If there is one thing I have observed about modern comics (last 20 years or so), it has to be pretty rare to finally fetch value. Some that come to mind are the final issues of the original TF Marvel run and the GI Joe Marvel run.

12. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Exactly. And in 1992-1996 or so, those late Marvel TF issues may well have been thrown into 50-cent bins as worthless. Generation 2 didn't do much to restore people's faith in Transformers as an evergreen property. And yet, here we are almost twenty years later and those books have decent value due to low supply and high demand.

13. Tirade

Ummm actually, most G2 comics have very little value (besides #12). But I do agree on the others. I just think comics are a different animal today.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  14. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Well, yeah, I meant the #71-80 of the first Marvel run now have decent values due to low supply and high demand. The G2 books probably did have higher print runs (it was the early 90s, after all, practically anything printing below six digits was considered a failure), and that factors in to their current value or lack thereof.

But I would say comics today have much lower print runs than any point since somewhere around the mid-1980s. I think there's about ten titles or so that print above 100,000 copies. Everything else languishes. I don't have any data (yet... still looking around, companies generally don't like to publicize print run info), but I don't know how many indie titles even make it above 10,000.

15. Tirade

Oh, I am honestly curious about printing numbers on these newer comics. Upon further thought, you might be right about the lower numbers. The recent IDW ongoing comics are a great example. They mentioned #1 selling out, but it makes you wonder how many were actually printed? As a smaller company, there couldn't have been that many printed.

16. Ikkstakk

News Credits:
    Okay, I finally found a website (The Comics Chronicles: A Resource for Comics Research) that catalogues sales numbers as reported by Diamond Comics Distributors. These are comics that were bought by retailers (comic book stores and such), not necessarily comics bought by end-user consumers (people like you and me). Also these aren't exactly print run numbers, which might be higher, as companies will routinely overprint on titles they think might sell out. But the numbers should be accurate to within 2,000 copies or so.

Unfortunately, the site only goes back to September 1996, so no data on the old Marvel series. But here's a snapshot of more recent times...

April 2002: Dreamwave's Transformers Generation One #1: 128,202 copies sold (and #1 on the sales charts)
    July 2002: Dreamwave's Transformers Armada #1: 145,567 copies sold (and #1 on the sales charts)
    July 2002: Dreamwave's Transformers Generation One #4: 135,066 copies sold (and #2 on the sales charts)
    December 2004: Dreamwave's Transformers Generation One Vol. 3 #10: 29,683 copies sold
    December 2004: Dreamwave's Transformers War Within Vol. 3 #3: 22,929 copies sold
    December 2004: Dreamwave's Transformers Energon #30: 16,778 copies sold
    January 2006: IDW's Transformers Infiltration #1: 45,453 copies sold
    April 2010: IDW's Transformers Ongoing #6: 12,171 copies sold
    April 2010: IDW's Transformers Spotlight Prowl: 8,839 copies sold
    April 2010: IDW's Transformers Last Stand of the Wreckers #4: 8,133 copies sold
    April 2010: IDW's Transformers Nefarious #2: 8,002 copies sold

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

It's a shame that the Pat Lee unpleasantness puts people off Dreamwave. I loved their books. Always looked forward to the next ones, unlike IDW.

18. Tirade

Wow, those recent numbers are rather small. I'm not surprised by the Armada #1 or Generation 1 #1 numbers. Also, do those numbers refer to just the regular print runs, like the regular covers? Or do those numbers include all the retailer incentives and special covers?

19. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Actually, those numbers are print runs at all, but rather number of copies SOLD, which tell a completely different story.

The Armada comic series was my favourite of all Dreamwave's lamentable efforts. Actually, I was rather fond of them.

20. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    I just went to a semi-local Comic Con where the majority of recent TF books were $0.50 or $1 each. This was at multiple vendors. Many of them were just blowing out stock left and right. I'd say the comic vendors don't see any value in DW or IDW comics. I nearly finished my Dreamwave collection though. :D  I need one more War Within Dark ages book #2 and a couple Micromasters books. #2 & #4.
    -G