Dramatic size change

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by transformervic1, Nov 26, 2011.

1. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    I just noticed this, but between the three movies, does it seem like the transformers' size in general change? look at megatron in TFTM when he steps in the abandoned Detroit train station and then look at Optimus when he's in the exact same place in DOTM. if first movie megatron was in dotm it would make dotm optimus sh*t bricks because he's HUGE! since those two were the same size every movie, and since the Cons can fit themselves in relatively small gunships, I'd say the robots shrunk between 1 and 3, wouldn't you think?

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I think you may be right.

3. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

Yeh, scale for some of the Autobots/Decepticons does change.

In the first movie, Optimus is slightly shorter than Megatron.

In the second movie, Optimus still appears to be a little shorter than Megatron. Despite the fact Ironhide and Ratchet aren't that much shorter than Optimus, they look like smurfs compared to Megatron when seen in the forest fight. If it was properly scaled, them two should stand at around Megatron's chest. Also, when Ironhide is ambushed in Egypt, it makes it look like Clonecrusher is a giant despite the fact Ironhide should probably be the same size, if not bigger than him (First movie Bonecrusher wasn't that big).

In the third movie, Optimus is the same size as Sentinel and as seen on top of that building, it appears Sentinel is just a little taller than Megatron. Soundwave appears to be a dwarf standing next to Megatron, whilst Starscream is actually just a little shorter than Megatron (he would be far taller than him if he wasn't bent everywhere). Also, it seems like Ratchet may have shrunken, and Optimus appears to be massive compared to all the Autobots except Ironhide. Shockwave was probably the tallest humanoid shaped Transformer in the movie and I'd say Que was the shortest (excluding Brains/Wheelie).

4. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    yes! plus even the protoforms between ROTF and DOTM shrunk to about soundwave's height. in ROTF i realized they came in different sizes but in dotm they're just small! and i can include longhaul in dotm and brawl. both very tiny compared to movie 1 brawl and movie 2 longhaul

5. LacksAFace

Yeh, sort of. Protoforms were never very big, they lacked the width and weren't really filled out in their modes which made them look brittle.
    Whilst Long Haul's size appears to have shrunken, Brawl was never actually that big in the first movie. After Brawl's arm was sliced off, Ratchet is standing next to him, shooting him and Ratchet isn't that much smaller than him. I'd guess Brawl was around Ironhide's size.

6. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    Um no... The Protoforms in ROTM and DOTM are the same sizes... what I mean by that is yes we seen many different size Protoforms in ROTF... Example... Protoforms that hit the Carrier in comet mode were all different sizes, there are many different sizes in the desert battle in ROTF, the one the snatched Sam's parents in ROTF looked to be huge and the two that were with Starscream in the desert ripping through huts looking for Sam were about Bumblebee's size. In Dotm we also see many different sizes with the Protoformes. Example... the ones in the fighters were smaller than the soldier Potoforms and then there were even larger size Protoforms on the ground. When the Space Bridge is used in Chicago to bring Cybertron to Earth and you see the large ship next to the building where the control pillar is... look at the 2 Protoform Cons on the roof top. One is taller and skinny while the other is wider and has a lot more mass to him. Also when Optimus trashes the Con in his scene where hes flying then running through them on the street... look at the Protoforms he blasts and cuts through. There are some smaller ones he blasts, he cuts the legs out from one that is almost optimus's own size and the one he kills next to the Scrapper look-alike is also Optimus's size.

7. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    this. And Bawl just looked a lot bigger in the first movie because we really never got to see him fight another bot head to head to judge his real size. It was him and the humans and even when he did take on the 3 Autobots, Ratchet was just next to him for a second or two which was not long enough to see much of anything, Ironhide didnt get close and Jazz... well he did get the closest when he got up on Brawl's shoulder before being thrown but Jazz was already small so it made Brawl again... look massive.

8. SamWitwickyGirl

SamWitwickyGirl Banned

News Credits:
    i love how bumblebee is so much smaller
    than optimus! its so cute! XD

9. LacksAFace

Every Autobot besides Ratchet and Ironhide are about half the size of Optimus.

10. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    Um...what?

You expected a Camaro to transform into a robot larger than a 32ft tall robot made out of a semi?

How is being in scale cute? >__>

11. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

In the first film, Megatron is his actual height of 45 feet. In ROTF, he's damaged, as the cons underwater kill one of their own to make parts for him. In ROTF and DOTM, Megatron is more around 35-38 feet, while Optimus is 35' tall throughout the films.

Bay has stated that Optimus is 28', but ILM and Hasbro say no. They take his official height at 35'7", weighing 10 metric tonnes

12. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Source?

13. NEST SOLDIER

Yeah, my source is Hasbro. One of the lead TF design team members named Aaron did a video with ILM early on during Post-production. They both talked about the size issue with Optimus, and how they had to get clarification on the size of the prop for Optimus during his resurrection scene, specifically his left foot.

If they went with Bay's size account of 28', OP foot would have been smaller than what you see onscreen.

To prove this, freeze the final scene at the end of ROTF with Optimus and shia side by side. You can use simple trigonometry to determine Optimus' height in that image.

The official Hasbro docs have him at 35'7", and weighing 10 tonnes. I measured him at 35', so both Hasbro and ILM are correct.

14. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Pfft. Like Hasbro knows about Transformers. ;)  I'm not trying to argue with you or anything, I honestly just wanted the source. (Do you have a link to that video that you could PM me by chance? :D  )

I did some simple 'Shopping, and Optimus is 4.5 Shia's tall in that shot. An ~6 foot tall Shia means that in that shot Optimus is ~28 feet tall. Even accounting for discrepancies in Shia's height/position, Optimus' position, etc., it wouldn't make up for an additional 7 feet. I, personally, like my movie Optimus to be ~32 feet tall.

I just can't trust those "official movie guides" anymore. Too much has just been blatantly incorrect for many characters.

15. NEST SOLDIER

The video was on youtube back in 2009. Aaron worked with ILM to get the size correct. A Peterbuilt 379 is right around 29' long, ( not counting a 53' trailer). Optimus would not transform to exactly 29', this would account for his height being 35'7".

16. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Dang, I wish I could find this video.

Based on the simple scaling I've done, the length of the 29 foot Peterbilt (sans trailer) would equate to pretty much (approximately) the height of Prime in robot mode. I know that Farrar has stated that Optimus is 32 feet tall, which makes slightly more sense to me. 35.5 feet is just a tad too tall in my opinion, but hey, it's nothing to argue over. :)  And I'm not trying to say that Hasbro or ILM is wrong (far be it from me to argue with ILM ;)  ).

Thanks for informing me about the video, NEST SOLDIER. I'll find it one of these days.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It's all camera angles and subtle shifting for certain shots. In TF1 you often saw the robots as super big because they wanted to convey the size of them. By DOTM the size thing was pretty well established and they focused more on showing them whole as characters.

18. decepticreep312

decepticreep312 Well-Known Member

You should see Jazz.

19. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    The only instance where scale has been purposely altered is the SOCCENT base attack where Blackout is (I think literally) 100ft tall too make the scene cooler.

20. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    Sorry my friend but you are wrong. during ROTF, they did a production size chat for all the bots that would be in the film and the past film and Optimus is and always was 28ft with Megs being 35 foot in both the first and 2nd movies. It was not til Optimus merged with the dead Jetfire that he became taller then Megs (same head height but Jet engines took him to over Meg's height) . If you remember... in ROTF after Optimus merged with Jetfire and took on both Megs and The Fallen, Megs jumps on Optimus's back as OP is fighting The Fallen. When Optimus was his normal height, there would have been no way Megs would have needed to jump on OP's back. Also... in the ROTF forest battle, OP had to chop megs leg down just to bring Megs to a knee and down to OP's height.
    Here is the chart with heights http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7175/rotfautobotscaleguide11.jpg