Dragonlance DVD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robimus, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    This is probably a long shot but is anyone else looking forward to the animated Dragonlance, Dragons of Autumn Twilight DVD set to come out Jan.15th? I've read all the books or the better part of two decades and am really looking forward to seeing this story brought to life on the small screen so I can enjoy it with my Daughter as she's still a bit small for the reading part. I'm currently re-reading Autumn Twilight and really enjoying it again. Tasslehoff Burfoot is just so awesome. Kender Rule!

The trailer is on youtube if anyone is interested. looks like a combo of computer and traditional animation.

2. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I devoted all of my spare time to Dragonlance books when I was in 7th to 9th grade and my best friend and I thought Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickmann were the best authors ever. I'd be curious to see an animated adaptation of the MW&TH Dragons trilogy.

The books really don't cut it for me today, but that's where nostalgia comes in. :) 

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm looking forward to it. I read the two original trilogys and lots of the side books. The animation so far looks like it was taken directly from the '80s, and the CG is atrocious, but as long as it's a faithfull reproduction stoywise, I'll be happy.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Found the trailer - man is that bad animation.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is coming out already??? I thought it was an old Rumor!!! Awesome news.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks interesting. I've read the novels so I'll have to pick this up and see if I like it... looks like Raiselin (or however it's spelled) in one part there...

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude that's awesome. I heard about this project like 2 years ago (if not more) and I thought that it had been scrapped. This is really cool news, and it looks decent.... Now if they would Bring Homeland or the Crystal Shard out in an animation.

8. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

That is awesome! I've been reading Dragon Lance for 20 years or so.Thought this would never happen.I've read them all up to one of the short story books after Dragons of Summer Flame.Great reading!So are these going to air on TV or exclusivly to DVD?I started reading them after the Hobbit and the lord of the rings.

Don't get me wrong I love Tolkien but some of his stuff is drug out too much.These books get to the point and still leave room for imagination.I pray the series matches up good.I would love to see the part were Tasslehoff gets stuck in the wicker dragon and they have to cut the head off and run through the Draconian camp with his legs dangling out.

Really I'd love to see it be 3 , 3 hour dvds so they can pack alot more in.One can only hope since it was a trillogy.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Doesn't that happen in the first book, so it should hopefully happen in this DVD. I hope :) 

10. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

I loved the old books. That trailer however, looks terrible.

11. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    Good! Its not just me!
    I thought that at first as well but after a couple veiwings it grew on me. Its very 80's styled animation and I think the Target audience is likely the people who read these books back in the eighties. I'm guessing the animation style was intentional to match a bit with eighties cartoons. Keifer Sutherland is doing the voice of Raistlin, he's really the only name attached that people would be very familiar with.

12. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    They finally got a trailer out there and set a release date, eh? I last checked about a month ago, and found no new info.

I'll Netflix it, at least, as I'm a big fan of the original trilogy of books. Haven't gotten around to reading any of the more recent stuff, though.

Can't see the trailer right now because of stupid work net filters, though.

I disagree. Lucy Lawless and Michael Rosenbaum, at the very least, are surely known by a significant portion of the general public. (They're voicing Goldmoon and Tanis, respectively.)

For us sci-fi and animation geeks, there's also Michelle Trachtenberg (Dawn from Buffy) as Tika, Rino Romano (Batman from The Batman) as Caramon, Neil Ross (Springer!) as Fizban, Phil LaMarr (c'mon, do I really have to give his list?) as Riverwind and Gilthanas, David Sobolov (Depth Charge!) as Verminaard, Fred Tatasciore (dozens of animation voices) as Flint and Fewmaster Toede, and Jason Marsden (Firefly from The Batman and Snapper from JLU, among many others) as Tas.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God, just hearing those character names gives me a chill. I hope this doesn't dissapoint. Even if the animation isn't tops, if they can maintain some of the better moments of the book I will be happy. Beast Wars Season 1 wasn't the prettiest CG out there but I kept watching for the writing.

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I really loved the Dragonlance novels when I was a kid -until the prequel novels ruined it for me (Every character saw a dragon before the first novel?)

I want to say that the preview looke fantastic, but I can't.
    The CG and the animation look way out of place together and neither one looks particularly good.

It looks like the old X-men cartoon mashed together with some CG from 1998. I'll probably rent it or something.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to buy it so that my 20 bucks can make someone say "hey, it made money... let's make Homeland and The Crystal Shard into an animated movie and get a better team to produce it"

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My favorite was The Legend of Huma.
    Richard Knaak was able to take the heroic elements the the Dragonlance heroes admired in Huma and apply them to an actual human character.
    Plus, Kaz the Minotaur was 100% badass and a complete surprise.

But, it's really kind of surprising that the animation is bad -especially considering what the talented voice cast is normally associated with.

Take Rino Romano for instance. His show The Batman has good animation that is combined with CG to great effect. I would expect this movie to be at least that good.

I admit though, if this movie came out a few years ago I probably would not have considered this "bad animation". The current crop of animated work has spoiled me considerably.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah I couldn't fathom Drizzt animated that bad, especially with the way Salvatore describes his fighting techniques.

18. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    i cant wait

the animation doesnt look to bad for the trailer but i will wait to judge

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The dragons look decent, but the rest of the toon looks like it's from the 80's

May give off some classic vibes when watching tho, may check it out.

Just bought Dragonslayer too, love that old movie. I still fast foward past the 1st half and all the ugly chick parts.