DragonCon 2008

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by conbot, Jul 3, 2008.

1. conbot

conbot Active Member

Is anyone going to DragonCon this year? I'll be posting on some other forums to see who is going.

2. conbot

conbot Active Member

By the way...

For those of you who don't know, DragonCon is a general Sci-Fi/Fantasy convention in Atlanta. This year, it's being held August 29 - September 1.
    http://www.dragoncon.org/

3. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    It's possible I'll be there, but Metrocon's going to take a good chunk of change first and Dragoncon's farther away. If I can find a place to crash and avoid a hotel cost, I'll probably go.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll be there. I'm gonna be the photographer for the Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts cosplay shoot and avoiding crazy Buffy TVS fans as much as possible.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I'm there every year, it's only 40min away from me.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is there any other reason to go besides looking at cosplay people?

7. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Unless you really like fan-run panels about Anime, Stargate, and Buffy and waiting in endless lines for overpriced autographs... No, not really.

8. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn it! I need another convention to buy toys and comics at that isn't 12 hours or more away!

9. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Well, the dealer's room isn't half bad when it comes to comics. Since it's all local dealers, you can get some really good deals. It sucks when it comes to toys, though. Most of the dealers are stocking up on Anime figures nowadays.

For the last two years the guys and gals who run DragonCon held the Atlanta Comics Expo in April, but a few weeks ago they announced that this was their last year doing it. Sucks because it was a nice little con.

10. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn. Thanks for the info bud.

I'll find something! It's only been a few weeks since Wizard World Chicago and I am needing another convention fix. But I need a good selection of toys.

11. shibamura_prime

News Credits:
    Atlanta runs some decent toy cons from time to time. Master Collector sponsors Joelanta every year. I haven't ever been myself, but I hear it's pretty much one big dealer's room and nothing else: http://www.joelanta.com/

12. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    I'm going for the first time ever. I'll be bringing stuff to get autographed as well as bringing some items to buy/sell/trade. No booth, just going as an individual.

Ended up with a motel reservation that's a bit far from the convention, but it's a lot cheaper than most hotels and motels near the show -- and not completely booked yet! Hoping that MARTA will be worth dealing with.

Drop me a line if you want to get together !

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Marta isn't bad I take it every year(cheaper than paying for parking) The con is pretty good and has a decent guest list this year. The dealer room can vary depending on how well the year went for most of the sellers. It's at the end of the year too so a lot of stock is gone. But it's a good con, unfortunately each year it moves further away from comics and becomes more of a fantasy con. The ticket prices seem to go up every year to keep up with the bigger guest they are booking. If you can be sure to catch the parade. Check ut the guest list this year they have a good variety. From Stacy Keach(Mike Hammer) to Sulu and chekov

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'll be down the street. No interest in attending, but if TFW folks'll be out drinking, PM me.

15. conbot

conbot Active Member

Heh... last year I forgot to pre-register, and had to wait in a 5 hour-long line.

16. conbot

conbot Active Member

Last year, I went with a friend. We somehow managed to find parking at one of the Peachtree Center's overpriced garages. I have taken marta many times into Atlanta, although it may not be the best idea if you plan on buying tons of stuff. Peachtree Center station is directly attached to the peachtree center, which has ped bridges to the Hyatt and Marquis Tower 1 (which continues right on to the marriott.

17. conbot

conbot Active Member

At DragonCon '07, I was very disappointed with the TF offerings. Last February, I went to a comics expo that's run by DragonCon that had an okay amount of TF stuff - so it really can vary.

18. Brawlastator

Brawlastator it is our life - jon bovi

News Credits:
    I remember I used to go and see the parade every year. I'm actually going to go this year. (Yay!)

19. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    I'm really going to see some alternative sci-fi fare. I am hoping to get folks interested that the TransFans are as important as the Trekkie/Trekker fans.

The big surprise is which will outlast the other. :) 

20. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I think it was Dragon*Con '06 that they did a TF fan panel discussion--mostly movie spoilers and pics of the classics line. I left after the first 10 minutes because: 1) I got tired of standing in the tiny, overcrowded room; 2) the moderator had kind of a snarky, sarcastic tone to his voice that irritated me. Also, it was about as entertaining as viewing a fan message board discussion live.

I won't decide if I'm going until they publish the con schedule--last year, they didn't have enough to interest me to justify getting a 4-day pass. I've forgotten two years straight to apply in advance as an attending professional and I keep missing the deadline.

Last year there was a serious TF toy draught. If Stylin' Online hadn't been there, I would've come home practically empty-handed. I got a fantastic deal on a few TF busts/statues, but didn't find a single toy I was interested in buying.

If I do go, I'm planning to load my car down with stuff from my collection that I want to get rid of and trade for some new additions.

And even if I don't go, I'd be up for a TFW meet so please keep us updated here.