Dragonball Z Live-Action: The Way It Should Be

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Jun 28, 2006.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Movie #1__Plague of the Saiyans

Story starts with Saiyan Saga, the coming of Raditz and the revelation of Goku's true heritage. Other characters are shown in detail as they train for the coming of Vegeta and Nappa. Goku returns and defeats them and as he and his friends recover, the other Saiyan, Turles shows up. With the power of the Tree of Might, Turles is undefeatable until Goku fulfills the legend and becomes a Super Saiyan. Saiyans briefly mention Frieza.​

Movie #2__The Rise of One

Story starts with Frieza's ship coming to Earth. Heroes sense his presence and prepare for what should be a futile battle. Frieza lands and then from out of nowhere Trunks shows up. Frieza has flashback from Namek fighting Super Saiyan Goku and Namek blowing up. Trunks kills Frieza and King Cold and tells Goku of the future. Quick clip sequence of warriors training and relaxing while awaiting Androids arrival. Androids are battled, Goku falls to heart virus and all looks bad. Kami senses a new threat and merges with Piccolo with mention of Namek Nail. Tien, Piccolo, and others battle Cell, all futile, Goku appears and saves them from death. Cell announces the Cell Games and gives the warriors time train and relax. Battle begins and Gohan goes beyond Super Saiyan and becomes Super Saiyan 2. Cell self-destructs and Goku sacrifices self and King Kai to save Earth, Cell comes back, and Gohan finishes him for good.​

Movie #3__The Last Wish
    Story starts with Dragonball GT start of Super Android 17 saga. Introduction of new characters, reflection that the Dragonballs were not meant to be used the way they were over the years, then the Shadow Dragons come. All leads up to final battle between Omega Shenron and Super Saiyan 4 Goku and Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta. Then movie ends same way final DBGT episode ends with tournament in the future.​

All movies to be done in CGI with voice-over actors mainly from the animated series. CGI to be done on the same scale as Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children. Stories not meant to be 100% true to shows. Stories meant to work in 1.5 hrs movies, able to work in the new format.

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Link?

3. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Is this a personal dream, or is there a source?
    if its live action, how is it CG?

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

if it's live action, why would it be cgi with voice-overs?

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I was thinking the same thing.

I was also thinking "never never never never never!"

6. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    there has been plans to make a DBZ live action movie for awhile, but its fallen through, and nobody else has picked it up yet

7. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

It would never work. It's just not possible to condense DB/DBZ into a movie that the general public will want to see on the big screen. To start with they would have to explain who the hell Goku and all his pals are, personally I found Dragonball to be a giant yawnfest with sub par art, there's no way they can shoehorn all of that into a quick intro. It would need to be it's own movie, which would be a giant yawn fest.
    Secondly, no one is going to buy the action. Kung Fu films can do it because, well it's Kung Fu, they can do that shit. Magical flying spacemen with laser eyes and insane Kung Fu powers just won't stand with the general public. People can suspend their disbelief when watching the anime because they expect totally insane action but joe public won't buy it.
    Thirdly, AC style CGI won't suit DBZ unless they tone the characters down, which they did for AC but it wasn't such a huge step away from the original designs.
    So, either you end up with a direct to DVD thing, which is cool, or you end up with something that's nothing like the source material on the big screen.
    There would probably be no flying, maybe the Saiyans could jump really high etc being from a high gravity planet but that's it. Only they would do the energy beams and most of Goku's pals would be regular martial artists.

8. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

not a chance in hell as much as I m a fan of DBZ-or at least used to be is just....no way just dont go there.

9. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Dragonball Z has been dead to me since 2002.

:rip  R.I.P. Dragonball Z, and all your sub-franchises.

10. strscrm

No, it's not news, but my own dream. When I say Live-Action, I don't mean with real people. That would be simply disgusting. What I mean is that it is done completely in CGI like FF7:AC. That was so close to realistic "live-action" that this would be the only way to pull it off in a way where it wouldn't come off as complete crap. Like AC was so realistic, it was still stylized so that it wasn't completely "live-action". Now that is the way to DBZ.>>>>>:Gouki: 

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Dragonball Z needs to die. seriously. Akira Toriyama has wanted it dead for a very long time. respect the creator's wishes and let it go, move on to better anime.

12. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

I've seen all the DB, DBZ and DBGT epz and movies. I liked them, they were great for their day... their day has pasted. As much as i would like to see a movie i fear it would tarnish my pleasent memories. I can't believe that they are still putting out new DB toys... how many years has it been since it's been over??? oh wait... i still want more transformer re-issues......never mind the last part.

13. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

There is no way to condense the stories. Even cutting down the charge up times would leave too much for a good movie. The only way a DBZ movie could ever be done is as an extension of the series.
    I actually have an idea where the world of DBZ is bombed back to the stone age by a huge battle, and one final wish on the Dragonballs buries the Saiyan DNA deep in the human genome. A few people make it thier lifes work for generations to safegaurd the world from the threat of Brolly, who swore to return after he was last banished. Thousands of years later the world becomes our world, and the latent traits begin to emerge. Brolly comes back, and one boy ties to stop him, but is killed. He trains with Goku for one year while dead, and his friends find the Dragonballs to wish him back. He ends up gaining Super Saiyan in his rematch with Broly, and manages to pwn him.

14. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

I like the quirky irrelevent DBZ episodes (I.E. Goku/Piccolo go after their driver's liscences), but don't much care for the rest of the series.

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For example...any cartoon ever made.

16. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

A DBZ film would be the single longest film ever made.

17. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

And yet it would only tell a story that lasted abour 1 hour.

18. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Well, it's possible to shorten charge-up times. Have you ever played Budokai Tenkaichi? It basically recreates almost every battle from DBZ and a few from DB and DBGT, and the battles don't take as long because charge-up times are lower.

19. strscrm

Or shorten the battles. The battles in the show were always too long. They felt like a soap opera. Remember the final battle with Frieza, not the part with Trunks, but the Frieza Saga. That battle which pretty much took up the whole Frieza Saga was about 30 episodes long. That's too long for one battle.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The battles in the manga were very short by comparison. The TV episodes were released more frequently than new chapters of the manga, so the fights and stories had to be padded and stretched out immensely to avoid overtaking the source material.

That said, DragonBall (and by extension Z, which was not a separate title in the Japanese release of the manga) is a very deliberately silly story. It's a fantasy action comedy, emphasis on comedy. It should not be taken as seriously as it is by many fans, especially fans in the US. It should absolutely never be reinterpreted in another medium in a serious way.