dragonball fans hate their own series.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by thundrwaveprime, Apr 22, 2009.

1. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

i saw the dragonball movie the other day, it was not that good, but not that bad. i liked how they adapted the seires to fit modern interests. but i noticed that dragonball fans have no faith in the movie at all. mostly because it wasn't extremely close to the original manga. these fans don't understand that the movie would have to fit modern tastes in order to get some money. if they like dragonball so much, why do they hate it so much?

2. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

That's a misconception. They don't hate their own series, rather they despise the misrepresentation of what they have come to love. This has been the case with all film adaptations of popular toy/comic/videogame/etc. franchises.

These fans and their opinions can often be split down the middle with whether or not they enjoy the film. Make no mistake, they will still love the Dragonball series, just might not agree with what the film tries to pass off to the general public.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    That argument only holds water if the movie actually makes money. It's sitting just above $8 million domestically and likely will not get to $9 million. I'd say the general public has spoken.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I don't see how DB fans not liking the DB movie means they hate the series.

5. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Indeed I can tell you Im a gigantic fan of dragon ball and dragon ball z, most of my friends grew with this, to us the interpretation was one way or another we were all for liberties because we knew the animal people simply wouldnt fit, or goku's hair was gonna be the exact same, we do not hate the seeries, we hate the interpretation was....crappy. -Ill admit howver if they had named it something other than dragon ball I would have probably watched it and enjoy it.

think of it this way to my friends in mexico this movie was if someone made a movie named transformers without the transformers, or without the basic elements that made the transformers cartoon a success.

-this comes from the guy who is considering to train tae kkwan do on a red gii like goku's/kame senin.-

6. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

its very similar to tf fans hating beast machines.

7. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'm still a Dragonball fan after seeing the movie, actually just rewatched a good chunk of the Frieza and Cell sagas. But the movie was an abomination, bad acting and special effects aside, nothing that made the movie Dragonball was treated with any kind of dignity, it was like watching a bad AU fanfiction. It was a case of the writer not liking any of the source material and reworking everything to what he thought was cool, same as any video game or (before Spider-Man) comic book adaptation, throw out what made it popular and go on name strength alone. They couldn't even call the Dragon Radar... "Dragon Radar", they had to give it some dumb acronym that they never used in the film after coming up with it so what was the damn point of changing it?

It was said before, if they called it something else it might have been enjoyable, there's games I could name that I feel the same way about. But it's such a departure from what it's named after that the name hurts it more than helps.

8. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    But Beast Machines was more faithful to the TF franchise then Evolution is to DB/DBZ.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I dislike Dragonball as a franchise, but even I could see that the movie was not going to be successful with either fans or the general public.

Edit: I use to enjoy watching Dragonball with the sound off at a local bar in the late 90s. Fun times.

Though I think you misunderstand dislike for one aspect of something for a general hate of the entire thing. You can still be a fan of something and dislike a particular interpretation. I love X-Men, but I don't really like the movies all that much. Doesn't mean I hate the franchise.

10. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    Every time someone brings up the movie, I have the exact same response. Just look at the script. This is a movie in which a main character exclaims "Cheese and Rice, I scorched my nads!" This movie is sorta like Street Fighter: it's so bad it's good.

11. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

I saw some clips from it online,the kamehameha looked aweful.I've seen better on youtube.

I can't believe they cut Krillin for Yamcha.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't think BM had anything like that.

13. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

The movie was made for the general public, as in, non-Dragonball fans, so it's perfectly logical for the real fans to hate the movie.

14. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I just think the approach to this movie was wrong. If it had more of a mystical element to it instead of trying so hard to be trendy and cool, it might have been a bit better than what it was.

15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    For every series, there is a first episode. For every comic or book saga, there is a first issue. Who are new shows or new publications trying to appeal to? Existing fans only? No- they do not exist yet. They try to appeal to a broader audience.

This is why I roll my eyes at the so-called "conventional" wisdom that states that in order to adapt a comic, book or cartoon to a movie, it absolutely must be sliced, diced and changed beyond recognizability. 300, Sin City, Harry Potter- all examples of books / comics that were a commercial success without sacrificing original recognizability.

Watchmen? As far as I am concerned, the verdict is out on that one. Yes, it tanked. However, the complaints I her from that movie are that:
    A) It was too long
    B) It dragged in places
    C) Being an R rated film automatically limited audience numbers.

I personally felt that the Watchmen film was excellent, and I never read the comic. I flipped thru it after watching the film, and it seems pretty faithful.

Despite that, I believe that good movie will make bank, and a lousy one won't- and it matters not if it was faithfull to its origins, or drastically changed.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I kinda don't think Dragonball Evolution's biggest points of contention are related to how close it is to the source material. >.>

17. inferno4565

inferno4565 Master of Mudkips

The movie wasn't the best but I don't hate the series, not one bit. I do think Dragonball Kai is sort of a letdown but I'm still enjoying it.

18. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

I am a huge fan of the series and was always dreaming of there being a Dragonball movie similar to how I felt about a Transformers movie. However I now realise Dragonball is extremely hard to make or visualise in a live action setting. It is ultimatly too goofy and daft to be made.

The only way I could see it remotely working would be if it were to be a kind of fairy tale/road movie that is set in a kind of artistic/stylistic daft looking world, possibly done on blue screen kinda like 300 etc. Fans don't hate Dragonball, they just don't like it when a company makes a movie that is cheap, rushed and nearly unrecognizable to the source material.

19. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Welcome to any fandom.

20. blackconvoy_D01

blackconvoy_D01 Destronger

Ebay:
    I love Dragon Ball, and Dragon Ball Z! GT was ok IMO.

What I hate is how certain companies who accquired the rights to the series take it, edit it severely, and drop almost everything I loved about the Japanese originals.

At least in the Korean renditions of DBZ the into music and language were the only changes.