Dragon Quest IX

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by eyeballkid, Oct 21, 2008.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That looks amazing. Happy to own a DS.

3. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's also the Dragon Quest IV remake that came out recently and then V and VI are coming out eventually as well. It is a good time to be a Dragon Quest fan with a DS. Or just an RPG fan for that matter.

4. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i just beat iv the other day. the final boss fight is amazing. that trailer also looks awesome.

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The trailer looks great, but I would like to see a Next Gen one looking like the cinematics in the trailer.

6. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

$50 for a remake of a NES game is rather... steep, imo.

7. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I don't know, I'm really confused here. They go from a high end, 80+ hour console RPG(DQ8, PS2)...to a DS game? That's a major downgrade IMO. Don't get me wrong, I like the DS and all, but a portable system game can't possibly hold a candle to a full blown console game. I don't know, I really don't get the logic here...

Or maybe they blew their wad with DQ8 and can't come up with something to top it.

8. Schide

Schide Buyer of Too Much

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    $40. Though actually it's more like a remake of a remake from the PSX version. It's kind of short, sure, but still loads of fun.

You haven't actually played many RPGs on the DS, have you?

9. Galaxy Convoy

I don't have actually have a DS...yet. But it's still just a portable system. You only cram so much data into those little cartridges. I do have a GBA SP though and both Golden Sun and GS: The Lost Ages. I beat both in about 20-25 hours or so each, taking my sweet time to do it. I can't imagine a DS RPG being much longer unless the graphics are simple and/or it's stripped down(no side quests or extra stuff to do at all). Again, there's only so much you can squeeze onto those cartridges.

This is like if, after doing Final Fantasy XIII for the PS3 and 360, Square decides to do FF XIV for the PSP. Now that just wouldn't fly.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You haven't played DQ8 on the PS2 have you? :D 

As much as I will be buying this on DS, it will be a Downgrade. DQ8 was HUGE with a giant lush world and really cool 3D environments. The feeling and attitude of DQ will remain, but the wonderment of picking a direction and running there and exploring with Day and Night Cycles and huge cities and flying over the entire world just will not be the same.

11. Galaxy Convoy

Good lord, Windy, that's creepy that we both ressurected this one at the same time :p 

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hehehe, I really do want this game, DS or not.

13. gil

gil Godmaster

From what I read, Dragon Quest is a much bigger franchise in Japan, so how many DS handhelds are out there in Japan? DS vs PS3, Wii, PSP, or 360. Releasing DQ9 on the DS will get DQ9 to more japanese gamers then any of the other consoles. The only console that can rival the DS is the PS2. But I honestly think there would be more fan outrage if DQ9 came out on the PS2. Final Fantasy on the other hand, would have been a big mistake to go from PS2 to DS.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fortunately some developers care more about the ability to fully express themselves on a system, using it's capabilities, instead of only profiting, otherwise we might have never seen MGS4, since the PS3 doesn't have nearly as many users as the Wii.

But then this is Squenix. They're loyalties change like the weather here in Texas.

I'm lucky enough to have a 360, otherwise, I would have played Star Ocean on PS1, Star Ocean on PS2, and then the new sequel/prequel on 360, and I would have been screwed (and yes, it's exclusive, so no one else gets it)

15. gil

gil Godmaster

If you look at a company looking for profit, I can see your point. But if you look at it from the Japanese consumer's point of view, Sqaure is showing some great loyalty to the consumers by releasing the game on the system that will get the game to the most consumers they can. Now if Dragon Quest in the US sold as much as Final Fantasy in the US, and they still went and released DQ9 on the DS, then yeah, it's purely profit. But DQ is on the DS, and FF is on the PS3.

16. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Gil:

Enix always releases the Dragon Quest series to whatever the console that has the largest user base.

IE: Which console sold the most.

Back in the 8 bit era, NES was the name of the game. In the 16, SNES beat Genesis and got a few DQs. PSX beat the crap out of Saturn and got DQ 7 (and 4 remake). PS2 sold far more in Japan than any other console at the time, so they got 8.

PS3 isn't selling much at all, Xbox 360 is only okay, Wii beats both, and DS pretty much beats all consoles put together.

Windcharger:

Don't be daft. They're a software development company. They owe nothing to the console makers. If you wanted undying loyalty to them, they'd have been on the Nintendo the entire time. DQ8 would be a Gamecube, DQ7 an N64. Enix is loyal to the important people: The CUSTOMERS. They put the DQ series on the most popular system for one major reason: So the people BUYING THE GAME don't need to (chances are), but a DIFFERENT CONSOLE.

Further, some people care about games being fun instead of being 'experimental'. Technology hardly matters if the game is excellent and fun to play.

Just look at 'Dwarf Fortress'.

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    DQ is huge in japan.

They always release them on a sunday because everyone calls in sick:lol 

18. Galaxy Convoy

And it'll stay that way as long as Enix and other companies continue to keep snubbing the console and doing their games elsewhere.

DQ9 will probably be a big seller on the DS, but I predict, due to it being much more limited in scope than DQ8, that lots of people will get bored with it quickly. They'll beat it once and hardly touch it afterward.

19. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

What's your point? Why the hell should a company design stuff on a console when they won't break even on it? It's like yelling at a construction firm for not building their skyscraper on a pile of mud.

You want companies to use the PS3, you gotta get the PS3 into enough homes for the companies to at least make the money back they put into the game. Anything else is just dumb.

And people are selling the DS short. Does it have the same storage space as a DVD? Nah. But it has about the same space as most PSX games do (and more than a vast majority ever used) and no one bitched about them being short just because they were on the PSX.

DQ8 could easily be put on the DS if they cut down on the graphics. Look at DQ Monsters Joker: Good graphics for a portable. If they had that level of graphics, DQ8 could fit on the DS. It's not some huge game that required a lot of technical magic to make work. It's still the same game as DQ 1-7 effectively, just 8 had a lot of voice acting and cinematics. Which means a lot of data. Trim that down, and with the compression technologies the DS use, and you got something that could be COMPARABLE to DQ8.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um you repeated the same thing I said, with the exception of the insult. I know Square holds no loyalty. That's why they left Nintendo for Sony when sony went with CD.