Dragon Quest IX for the DS

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mrhillz, Jul 16, 2010.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

So Dragon Quest IX...

I didn't see any other DQ IX, so I think this is fine. Has anyone tried it? I've heard lots of good reviews about it, but I kinda want to hear about people that aren't gaming journalist that have played it.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Not planning on getting this yet. Figure I ought to finish off IV, V and VIII first.

RPGFan makes it sound kinda good though, so I ought to check it out sooner or later.

3. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

I'm playing it. It as good as they say, an improvement to the JRPG line, plus it has a Akira Toriyama character generator for your char.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If I had a DS I'd grab this in a heartbeat. This one is on my list for when I pick up a 3DS, along with WFC.

5. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I'm having fun with the game so far, plus I got my $15 gift card from toys'rus. Wonder what I should spend it on?

6. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I still think it's a damned shame they opted to do DQ IX on a portable system, rather than follow up the amazing DQ VIII with a full blown console sequel on either the PS3 or 360, or both.

I'm sure it's still a good game and all, but there's only so much data you can pack into a DS game. I'll be surprised if IX as a whole is more than half as long as VIII was.

7. gil

gil Godmaster

Yeah, the DS seems like a step down, but you gotta remember that DQ is well loved in Japan. This practically rules out the 360. Also with the Wii and PS3 being fairly new, they wouldn't have the user base for DQ to sell as well as it should in Japan. Add to this that everyone has a DS in Japan and the choice was simple.

I'll pick up this game one day.

8. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like that not can you create and add new party members (reminiscent of DQ III) but any equipment you add automatically shows up on your character, I love it.

9. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

If you're an RPG fan and have a DS this is a must play. It's 100% JRPG. It looks beautiful and sounds great. I'm definitely impressed so far.

10. Zigholtul

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hurray for a RPG that actually makes xp and money grinding fun.

11. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Yep its a fun game.

12. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    Glad I picked it up, its really fantastic. Very classic in design and plot, but a lot of the annoyances removed; ie random battles.

I disagree with whoever said it shouldn't be on the ds. I probably wouldn't have bought it if it were on a console which would have been a shame. I just don''t have time to play a 40 hour classic rpg sitting in front of a tv.

13. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cool. This went from a maybe to a definately. VIII was great, I spent god knows how many hours on it.

14. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    I purchased a new DS (sold mine a few months back) just so I could play this game. I love it! I have been a fan of the franchise since the first one was the only one, mind you.

15. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I picked this up on the weekend, and I remember why i'm not a big Dragon Quest fan. Its such a ball ache keeping everyone at decent health/MP. Currently the Inn can't be used to rest up (not even sure if its possible) and the monsters do a lot of damage after just a couple fights so i'm constantly using up items. It never feels like i'm ahead of the curve, always strugling behind it and taking huge beatings in every fight. Its very discouraging.

Yet I haven't played it for long, so maybe it gets better but I doubt i'll put the time into it :( 

16. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Anyone one in the Southern IL or IN area and have any maps? I'm leveling on LMS's in the Bowhole right now.

17. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

18. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

I agree. It's an awesome game, easily one of the best DS rpgs I've played yet, but if it wasn't on the DS I probably wouldn't play it nearly as much as I do. My time on the toilet is the only time I really have for gaming.

Has anyone else used the character maker to make Dragon Ball characters? I made Uub as my martial artist because it has the perfect hairstyle for him, but I didn't make anyone else.

19. DinobotNny

DinobotNny Dewbot

If it wasn't on the DS, I'd never have time to play. I don't have as much time to play it as I'd like as it is.

I made a priest named Jesus. I don't even mind it too much when he dies, since I can just resurrect him. Lol

You'll be able to use the inns to recover (otherwise there would be no point in having inns). I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it wasn't very long.

20. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Zing